The Student Room Group

Stationary wave formula

I answered a question to do with producing the highest note on a piano. The MS says to use the formula f = 1/2l rt(T/μ), but I thought this formula only applies to the fundamental frequency... and surely a frequency of 4.1kHz would not correspond to the fundamental frequency?
Original post by anon_ymous123
I answered a question to do with producing the highest note on a piano. The MS says to use the formula f = 1/2l rt(T/μ), but I thought this formula only applies to the fundamental frequency... and surely a frequency of 4.1kHz would not correspond to the fundamental frequency?

could you upload the question?

illl answer tommorow morning as tired and just glanced at it but it seems as pianos are strings which produce stationary waves on strings they will only produce notes for harmonic frequecies and that is why we use that equation. Thats why it has to have a correct freqeuncy of 4.1Khz as any other ehrtz will just be a jumble and we wont see a harmonic fromed on string unless we are at the next frequency which produces the next harmonic.

ill look in the morning but idk anything about pianos and i am alevel student aswell but from quick glance at question this is what i thought but as said ill give better reply tommorow.

That equation is the one we use to find frequency for harmonic which is needed as pianos will produce stationary waves due to having two fixed ends with nodes at.

Actually, 4.1kHz is the fundamental frequency. Why?
The question said, “A piano repairer replaces the wire that produces the highest note on a piano.” This implies that the wire can only produce one note: the fundamental frequency.

Reply 6
Original post by Eimmanuel
Actually, 4.1kHz is the fundamental frequency. Why?
The question said, “A piano repairer replaces the wire that produces the highest note on a piano.” This implies that the wire can only produce one note: the fundamental frequency.

Ahh, I see. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest