The Student Room Group

Maths graph help

Help the why’s it not aIMG_2580.jpeg
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
From the function f(2a) is zero. Why do you think a root occurs at x=a?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
From the function f(2a) is zero. Why do you think a root occurs at x=a?

How do u know it’s 2a??
I did this IMG_2583.jpeg
Reply 3
You found the minimum, not the root. The quadratic is
x(x-2a)
The roots are obvious?

Factorize to get the roots (or use the quadratic formula), complete the square to get the stationary point.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
You found the minimum, not the root. The quadratic is
x(x-2a)
The roots are obvious?

Factorize to get the roots (or use the quadratic formula), complete the square to get the stationary point.

Ahh ok what about this q
I’m still kinda stuck on how to find the roots… I made f(x) equal to zero but I don’t know how to factorise it nowIMG_2584.jpeg I did this IMG_2585.jpeg
I’m crying I’m so bad at graphs plz help me
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Factorising you multiply the "numbers" to give -8a^2 and add to give 2a? So each factor must be something like
(x+3a)
... so what "numbers" work to give the -8a^2 and 2a?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Factorising you multiply the "numbers" to give -8a^2 and add to give 2a? So each factor must be something like
(x+3a)
... so what "numbers" work to give the -8a^2 and 2a?

I don’t get this, can u plz send me a YouTube video cos I don’t understand this 😢
Reply 7
Guessing two factors as
(x + 2a)(x+3a)
what do you get when you expand, how would you change the 2a and 3a to give your quadratic?

Alternative, factorise
x^2 + 2x - 8
Then modify slightly for your problem?

One vid
https://www.doubtnut.com/question-answer/factorise-x2-3ax-88a2-644442505
but just google?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Guessing two factors as
(x + 2a)(x+3a)
what do you get when you expand, how would you change the 2a and 3a to give your quadratic?

Alternative, factorise
x^2 + 2x - 8
Then modify slightly for your problem?

One vid
https://www.doubtnut.com/question-answer/factorise-x2-3ax-88a2-644442505
but just google?

The video not working
Reply 9
Did you do the other two things, but just google for a factorise quadratic with ... Similarly it should be covered in your textbook.
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Did you do the other two things, but just google for a factorise quadratic with ... Similarly it should be covered in your textbook.

Nope it’s not in my text book
Reply 11
Third time and last time, can you factorise
x^2 + 2x - 8
If so, how would you simply adapt to this quadratic

Video worked for me and google gave some hits as well. Factorising a quadratic where the linear and constant terms (in temrs of x) depend on another parameter (in this case a) come up from time to time, so it should be in there.
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
Third time and last time, can you factorise
x^2 + 2x - 8
If so, how would you simply adapt to this quadratic

Video worked for me and google gave some hits as well. Factorising a quadratic where the linear and constant terms (in temrs of x) depend on another parameter (in this case a) come up from time to time, so it should be in there.

I got x equals 2 and -4…
So would I do 2a and 4a
Reply 13
You might have missed out a sign when you typed the 4a in, but basically yes. If youre unsure about a factorisation, simply expand as usual and check it equals the original quadratic. There is nothing more to a factorisation like this, a bit of sensible "guessing" can get you the answer.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest