The Student Room Group

Last minute exam revision tips?

Hi! I want to ask about some last minute revision strategies that people recommend. My situation isn’t exactly last minute but I have a lot of workload to cover in a short amount of time and I’ve been struggling to do so at the moment.
I’ve been working and have been in and out of hospital and doctor appointments many times this year, which led to me being behind on many lectures. It’s all crammed up now and I’m really stressed. My mental health has not been good this whole year as well and all this has been taking a toll on my attention span. I’ve been doing work, seeing how much I have left, and then getting stressed to the point any time I don’t takes notes or revise I feel guilty and anxious.
That is why I want some sort of strategies that people use for last minute revision so I can use them and take some workload off as quickly as possible. ☹️
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Thanoswashere
Hi! I want to ask about some last minute revision strategies that people recommend. My situation isn’t exactly last minute but I have a lot of workload to cover in a short amount of time and I’ve been struggling to do so at the moment.
I’ve been working and have been in and out of hospital and doctor appointments many times this year, which led to me being behind on many lectures. It’s all crammed up now and I’m really stressed. My mental health has not been good this whole year as well and all this has been taking a toll on my attention span. I’ve been doing work, seeing how much I have left, and then getting stressed to the point any time I don’t takes notes or revise I feel guilty and anxious.
That is why I want some sort of strategies that people use for last minute revision so I can use them and take some workload off as quickly as possible. ☹️

Hey!
I completely understand the stress and anxiety that come with having a lot of work to cover in a short amount of time, especially when dealing with health issues and mental health struggles. It's great that you're seeking out strategies to help you with your last minute revision.

Here are some tips that may help you:

Prioritize your workload: Make a list of all the tasks you need to complete and prioritize them in order of importance. Focus on completing the most important tasks first.

Break it down: Break up your work into smaller, more manageable tasks. This will help you feel less overwhelmed and more motivated to work.

Take breaks: Take frequent breaks to give your mind and body a chance to rest and recharge. This will help you stay focused and productive for longer periods of time.

Use active revision techniques: Instead of just reading your notes or textbooks, try to actively engage with the material by summarizing key concepts, creating flashcards, or teaching the material to someone else.

Use technology to your advantage: There are many apps and websites that can help you revise more efficiently and effectively, such as Quizlet, Khan Academy, or Crash Course.

Remember, it's important to be kind to yourself and to prioritize your mental health during this stressful time. Don't forget to take care of your physical and emotional needs, and reach out to your support network if you need help or encouragement.

Good luck with your revision!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Reply 2
work through past papers. write model answers to past questions - a great way to revise.

Hey there.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you have been facing this year, it is understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed. Exam season can be stressful enough, let alone with added external struggles. I can try and provide you with some tips that have helped me over the past few years while studding for my degree.

1. Active learning techniques - I have made sure I practice active learning techniques to make my studying time more productive. This includes actually engaging with my work rather than just reading it. Some ways I do this is by making flash cards, and asking my friends and family to quiz me on them. I have also used whiteboards in the past to keep writing my notes down and wiping it off until I can recite it from memory. You could also make diagrams and flow charts as these can help with memorising information.

2. Using past papers or practice questions - I recommend making the use of past papers or practice questions to get used to the writing style and familiarise yourself with the sorts of questions you may find in your exams.

3. Take regular breaks and do things that make you happy - Something that I believe to be really important is to ensure that I take regular breaks to make my studying time more productive. I find that working non-stop for hours just makes me feel burnt out and tired and it also makes me resent revising. Studying for an hour and then taking a break can be useful to aid focus and productivity. You could even go for a short walk half way through the day as this is great for your mind.

4. Write to-do lists and plan your studying- I recommend writing to-do lists as this really does help with prioritising your time. This can reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed as your tasks are set out into chunks. Start by identifying the most important topics and then go from there. You can allocate yourself times and days to do each topic to help you manage your time more effectively. Writing and ticking things off your to-do lists will make you feel organised which is a great feeling.

5. Find a schedule which works for you - This is important as some people prefer getting up early to get their work done, while some people work better later at night (though I don't recommend working through the night as this will make you feel exhausted the next day). But establishing a schedule which works for you is again, great for managing your time effectively. For me, I like to wake up early, as I have found that it feels like there is so many more hours in the day, and this makes me feel productive. Remember to ensure you are getting enough sleep to as this is essential for your body to recharge.

6. Engage in stress-management activities - This is important to stay positive during exam season. My favourite anti-stress activities are going to the gym, or going for a walk. While I find myself putting off these types of tasks, they make me feel amazing afterwards as it gives me a chance to clear my head, so try not to neglect them.

These are just some tips which have helped me during exam season. This is an extremely stressful time of year, so it is important to stay positive and motivated as much as you can. Remember you are not alone, so it is important to seek help from your teachers or seek professional help if you need to.

I hope this helps, and the best of luck for your revision and exams.

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Hi there, this is Aimee a third year criminology and criminal behaviour student! Happy to meet you:smile:

Sorry to hear that your mental health has taken a toll this year, I hope that you now have the support that you needed!

Have you accessed support from your personal academic tutor? Mine has being my life line through my degree especially when I was suffering with anxiety and other health related issues. They may also help you to extend your deadlines through extenuating circumstances but again, will depend on your university :smile:

I have just finished my 8,000 word dissertation and I broke it down into chapters with essay style questions which made it manageable and enjoyable.

I would try and limit what you are working on each day so for example 500 words a day if possible then by the end of the week you may have a finished essay ready to be submitted! :smile:

All the best, Aimee xox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending