The Student Room Group

(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by agxf
Hello,

My school has recently approached me and asked if I would like to sit both my mock exams and A-Levels using a laptop. I wanted to ask if anybody had any experience doing so and would be very grateful if I could hear their input. I was also wondering if there were any potential disadvantages to me sitting my exams on a laptop. For example, are unis aware if I have sat my exams on a laptop, and if so, does this disadvantage me in any way? If anybody has any input that they may think is even slightly relevant to my question, I would be extremely grateful if you were to share it.

Many Thanks!

Did your school say why they think it might be appropriate for you to use a laptop? For which subjects?

Do you use a laptop normally, during lessons and for homework? If not, I would encourage you to try doing so to establish whether it works for you or not. You will find that for some subjects (e.g. maths) there isn't much opportunity to use it. For others, you don't want to be wasting time formatting on the laptop (e.g. chemical formulae), so may find yourself switching between paper and laptop a bit. That might take a little getting used to.

There is no requirement to inform universities that you used a laptop, but that doesn't mean that it's not your school's policy to include that in their academic reference. For that, you'd need to check with your school.

As to how a university might view that information, I've no idea I'm afraid.
Reply 2
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by agxf
Hello,

My school has recently approached me and asked if I would like to sit both my mock exams and A-Levels using a laptop. I wanted to ask if anybody had any experience doing so and would be very grateful if I could hear their input. I was also wondering if there were any potential disadvantages to me sitting my exams on a laptop. For example, are unis aware if I have sat my exams on a laptop, and if so, does this disadvantage me in any way? If anybody has any input that they may think is even slightly relevant to my question, I would be extremely grateful if you were to share it.

Many Thanks!

If your a fast typer go for it!
Original post by agxf
My school's Special Education Needs Coordinator has said that if I would like to, I would be eligible to use a laptop; all I have to do is say yes. Luckily for me, I take all essay-based humanities subjects, although I am slightly worried about economics due to the fact that I don't know how diagrams would work when using a laptop. Would I need to draw these on paper separately, or would there be a function that allows me to draw them accurately on the laptop? As for my school telling universities about me sitting my exams on a laptop, my SENCo has said that they do not disclose such information to universities or anyone else, and the only way a university would know was if they expressly asked me personally to tell them.

The fact that you take essay-based humanities subjects helps this decision I would say. If you can type faster than your can write, then go for it. (And I don't just mean the physical act of typing - I mean the fact that using a laptop means you can rearrange what you've written into a more coherent structure if that's something which isn't a strength for you.)

I mentioned earlier that you "may find yourself switching between paper and laptop a bit". You have to submit the paper-based exam booklet (with your name, exam centre number, candidate number, etc. on it). For those questions where you want to use pen and paper (e.g. diagrams in Economics) you just use pen and paper as you always have previously. For those questions where you want to use the laptop, you simply write "laptop" on the paper, to inform the examiner / marker to refer to what you've typed on the laptop for your answer.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
The fact that you take essay-based humanities subjects helps this decision I would say. If you can type faster than your can write, then go for it. (And I don't just mean the physical act of typing - I mean the fact that using a laptop means you can rearrange what you've written into a more coherent structure if that's something which isn't a strength for you.)

I mentioned earlier that you "may find yourself switching between paper and laptop a bit". You have to submit the paper-based exam booklet (with your name, exam centre number, candidate number, etc. on it). For those questions where you want to use pen and paper (e.g. diagrams in Economics) you just use pen and paper as you always have previously. For those questions where you want to use the laptop, you simply write "laptop" on the paper, to inform the examiner / marker to refer to what you've typed on the laptop for your answer.

hey I did my economics paper on laptop and some on the exam paper. after the exam they printed the work I wrote on computer and put it inside the exam paper. i didn't mention "laptop" on the actual exam paper for the examiner to know I wrote the answers on laptop. I don't know if its fine or do i need to do anything about it? i also want to mention i am edexcel exam board.
Original post by malakiebind
hey I did my economics paper on laptop and some on the exam paper. after the exam they printed the work I wrote on computer and put it inside the exam paper. i didn't mention "laptop" on the actual exam paper for the examiner to know I wrote the answers on laptop. I don't know if its fine or do i need to do anything about it? i also want to mention i am edexcel exam board.

That's absolutely fine. It seems that what I described is for internal exams, where the laptop-based work doesn't actually have to go to an exam board. Having checked the official guidance (section 14.25 in this document), I note that it says:

"14.25 A word processor:
e) must either be connected to a printer so that a script can be printed off, or have the facility to print from a portable storage medium. This must be done after the examination is over. The candidate must be present to verify that the work printed is his or her own. Word processed scripts must be attached to any answer booklet which contains some of the answers;"

That sounds like exactly what happened in your case.

The official guidance makes no mention of marking the paper with the word "laptop" or similar to direct the examiner to the print-out. In the past Edexcel used a cover sheet for those who'd used a laptop, JCQ Form 4, but this page on the Pearson/Edexcel web site confirm that this is no longer required.

So, again, you're fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest