The Student Room Group

Official Year 13 Chat 2023-24

Woo-hoo!!
We've finally reached the final year of our further education!

How are you all feeling? Scared, nervous, excited?

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

Here are some questions to introduce ourselves:
-What A-Level subjects are you studying?
-What course are you thinking of applying for?
-Do you have to take any entrance exams?
-Favourite food?
-What are you looking forward to doing after year 13?
-Hobbies and interests?

Here's to a successful year ahead of us!
Work hard and look after yourselves, we can do this!!!

A Level Weekly Check-In Thread with @emm4nuella: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7470508
(edited 20:40)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyo, I think I’m ready to experience the last of pretty much everything before heading off to uni, hoping it goes well.

Subjects I’m studying: maths, further maths, physics, computer science

Applying for computer science related, computer/electrical/mechanical/software engineering most likely

I don’t think I have to take entrance exams? I’m going to Canada lol

Favourite food has to be shawarma, it’s so delicious

After Year 13 I’d probably go out way more in the summer and try to make a lot of friends when uni starts. Gonna pick up the guitar again too!

Right now I play guitar on and off, I’m trying to improve my singing as well. I do enjoy trying programming problems on codewars and I do love playing videogames. Bookworm as well.

Good luck to everyone for year 13, let’s get the grades we want and go to where we want to!
Original post by oliviapope1
Woo-hoo!!

Year 13 can truly be a nerve-racking experience but this thread has been created to encourage each other to get through the lows and celebrate the highs.

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

Hi !!
I'm doing biology, chemistry and german (should've picked geography instead of german, as the german lit essays are hard, but oh well)
Applying to medicine
Taking the UCAT, hopefully won't have to take BMAT
Samyang buldak carbonara noodles
Probably go travelling in the summer, at uni meet lots of new people, do loads of partying. if i don't get into med this yr i'll take a gap year and get some more work experience
I go to the gym 6 times a week, basically my only hobby atm, but want to take up lots of new things at uni
edit: did my ucat, so have decided to apply to newcastle, aston, hull york and uea
(edited 7 months ago)
Woo-hoo!!

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

hi i'm abby

- I take A Level maths, further maths, economics and geography
- I want to study Economics at university
- I have to take the TMUA for Econ if I apply to Cambridge
- I like sushi, pizza, a cheeky nando's too
- after year 13 I might go travelling maybe Japan or Canada who knows? I'm also going to see Taylor Swift next August in Wembley. I also want to get a part time job to save up for uni
- I really like reading in my spare time though school means i don't have a lot of time for that. I also like watching films (my fav is trainspotting), tv shows and i also enjoy doing ballet

good luck with yr13 guys - just one more year
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Woo-hoo!!

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

Here we go again!

I'm mesub. I'm doing Maths, Economics and Computer Science + an EPQ (which should have been finished by now! :cry2:)
Looking to study computer science with a placement year.
No entry exams for me! Takes away a bit of pressure which is good.
Punjabi Butter Chicken is so nice (I'm Nigerian though 👀)
I'm looking forward to just relaxing before uni.
I love baking but I never have the time to do it!
Reply 5
Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry and Maths
I'm applying to medicine
I had to take the UCAT (it went well thank god!) and I might also end up taking the BMAT
I love noodles, pizza everything really
I'm looking forward to going on picnics with my friends!
I love dancing, cooking and reading

Good luck with y13 guys!!!
Original post by mesub
Here we go again!

I'm mesub. I'm doing Maths, Economics and Computer Science + an EPQ (which should have been finished by now! :cry2:)
Looking to study computer science with a placement year.
No entry exams for me! Takes away a bit of pressure which is good.
Punjabi Butter Chicken is so nice (I'm Nigerian though 👀)
I'm looking forward to just relaxing before uni.
I love baking but I never have the time to do it!

im doing computer science too where you looking to apply
Reply 7
Original post by jamest0394q
im doing computer science too where you looking to apply

Southampton, Birmingham, Exeter, Bath, Loughborough (that's not in order of preference though!)

You?
Original post by mesub
Southampton, Birmingham, Exeter, Bath, Loughborough (that's not in order of preference though!)

You?

yh i want to apply to birmingham too
are you applying for that degree apprenticeship? thats what im doing
other than that i want to go to manchester also
Reply 9
Woo-hoo!!

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

Hey I’m willow!

I’m taking level 3 childcare,
I’m going to apply for social work at uni,
I think I have exams within my interview for the course,
Mac and cheese!!
Super excited to go to uni!!
I work at Harry Potter so I guess I’ll say Harry Potter as my interest :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by jamest0394q
yh i want to apply to birmingham too
are you applying for that degree apprenticeship? thats what im doing
other than that i want to go to manchester also

Maybe, it's an option.
Woo-hoo!!

-Favourite food?
-Hobbies and interests?

I am studying Biology, Geography and RS, and I am hoping to apply for biology this year. I don't have to take any entrance exams, which I am very grateful for :smile:. My favourite food is roast potatoes (or most kinds of potatoes for that matter lol). I play the clarinet, I enjoy drawing and painting and I like listening to music as well.
Hi!
I'm currently studying English Language, English Literature and Spanish. I'm hoping to do something based around linguistics; I'm applying for subjects such as Medieval and Modern Languages, as it's the culture and literature I want to explore, instead of business or tourism. I'm not very good at either haha. As far as I know, none of my unis have entrance exams (beyond a small interview for admission) but I'm aware that the MLAT exists for Oxford, so who knows? My favourite food is a tough one; instead, I'll say my favourite drink is peppermint tea! After University, I'd like to either teach English to non-native (adult) speakers, or maybe translate. I really don't mind. I'm learning the saxophone, I love to read, write, and listen to music or spoken word. One day, I'd like to get something published. Can't wait to get to know you all! What's everyone's favourite book/film/album/author?

EDIT: fixed some grammatical errors.
My 3 favourite
Books: The Buried Giant/The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro, Autumn by Ali Smith, Slade House and The Bone Clocks (they're sister books) by David Mitchell
Films: Everything Everywhere All At Once, Boiling Point, When Marnie Was There
Albums: Blackstar by David Bowie, Ants From Up There by Black Country, New Road, Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis
Authors: Well aside from the three above - Franz Kafka, Gabriel García Márquez, Philip Larkin
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
FINAL YEAR OF SCHOOL :frown: *sigh*

one last time :bawling: :

hey guys!! i'm tazmeen. i'm doing maths, english lit and sociology alongside an epq (it's about individual rights vs collective security in case anyone was wondering).

i'm planning on applying to law at uni and solicitor apprenticeships too. for unis, im applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL, Exeter and Warwick (still deciding on the last one. hopefully after visiting Warwick in october, ill be able to make a decision).

as for solicitor apprenticeships, i'm applying to around 6-7 firms. still deciding but some of the ones i'm sure i'll be applying to are A&O, Linklaters, CMS and Ashurst. i'm thinking maybe Pinsent Masons, Mishcon de Reya and DLA Piper too.

unfortunately i have to do the lnat which is literal pain but yk...i gotta do what i gotta do sooooo

i think im just looking forward to just having my time back after year 13. these days i feel like theres always something to do so it will be nice (but weird) to have some time to myself. but i think ill be more sad than happy to finish year 13...i'm going to leave school. absolutely everything will be changing and im NOT good with change
Original post by Castrovalva
Hi!
I'm currently studying English Language, English Literature and Spanish. I'm hoping to do something based around linguistics; I'm applying for subjects such as Medieval and Modern Languages, as it's the culture and literature I want to explore, instead of business or tourism. I'm not very good at either haha. As far as I know, none of my unis have entrance exams (beyond a small interview for admission) but I'm aware that the MLAT exists for Oxford, so who knows? My favourite food is a tough one; Instead, I'll say my favourite drink is peppermint tea! After University, I'd like to either teach English to non-native (adult) speakers, or maybe translate. I really don't mind. I'm learning the saxophone, I love to read, write, and listen to music or spoken word. One day, I'd like to get something published. Can't wait to get to know you all! What's everyone's favourite book/film/album/author?

Fave book - this is going to hurt (don't really read anymore apart from some medicine related reading)
Film - trainspotting
Top 3 Albums - twin fantasy by car seat headrest, nfr by lana del rey, bury me at makeout creek by mitski
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi im zainab!!

im studying maths, chemisty and physics
im not 100 percent on what i want to do (its bad ik) but rn im thinking engineering. it was either that or medicine and i just did my ucat and it wasnt amazing so im not sure i should risk it with med
i got 2440 and band 3 in my ucat and if anyone has any advice it would be reatly appreciated. do i have any chance of getting into med, at any uni rly im not picky or should i forget about it and focus on something else
i think my fav food must be pasta or byriani but tbh i like everything. but i do survive off coffee
i cant even think about after yr 13 im so stressed im already anticipating how bad this year is going to go lol but i dont rly know what i will do after

im rly into f1 and the marauders and in terms of hobbies i like to crochet and knit and i used to paint but i dont rly anymore
im distracting myself from my work by doing this. i left all my summer work till the last 2 days and now im drowning in it. ik for sure i wont be sleeping tonight nor tomorrow :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by dragoonthegreat
Hi im zainab!!

im studying maths, chemisty and physics
im not 100 percent on what i want to do (its bad ik) but rn im thinking engineering. it was either that or medicine and i just did my ucat and it wasnt amazing so im not sure i should risk it with med
i got 2440 and band 3 in my ucat and if anyone has any advice it would be reatly appreciated. do i have any chance of getting into med, at any uni rly im not picky or should i forget about it and focus on something else
i think my fav food must be pasta or byriani but tbh i like everything. but i do survive off coffee
i cant even think about after yr 13 im so stressed im already anticipating how bad this year is going to go lol but i dont rly know what i will do after

im rly into f1 and the marauders and in terms of hobbies i like to crochet and knit and i used to paint but i dont rly anymore
im distracting myself from my work by doing this. i left all my summer work till the last 2 days and now im drowning in it. ik for sure i wont be sleeping tonight nor tomorrow :smile:

would you rather do medicine or engineering ?? sunderland could be a med option for you, if you have lots of volunteering/wex.
Reply 17
Biology, Maths, and Sociology
Political Sciences, IR, Sociology
nope (thank god)
-Favourite food?
spaghetti
'freedom'
-Hobbies and interests?
art, politics
Original post by reubenn05
Fave book - this is going to hurt (don't really read anymore apart from some medicine related reading)
Film - trainspotting
Top 3 Albums - twin fantasy by car seat headrest, nfr by lana del rey, bury me at makeout creek by mitski

Have you ever read the books the Trainspotting films are based on? I think they're great. I love NFR!!!
Original post by Castrovalva
Have you ever read the books the Trainspotting films are based on? I think they're great. I love NFR!!!

nah i haven't, i'll look into it ! what's ur top 3 songs on nfr, mine's california, mariners apartment complex, vb

Quick Reply

Latest