The Student Room Group

Need help with picking A levels for medicine!!

I want a job in the medical field; most preferably a GP but I wouldn't mind being a pharmacist or an optometrist. I am guaranteed to do biology and chemistry A level, but I don't know what to do for my third A level.

I am considering maths because I heard that if you take A level biology, chemistry and maths then EVERY medical school would be open to you. The only problem is, I was looking at some past papers for A level maths and it looks REALLY, REALLY hard- I don't know if I'll be able to get an A in it.

If I pick something other than maths (IT or computer science most likely) for my third A level, could I still get into medical school? Is A level maths favoured? Or is it worth not doing A level maths so that it would be easier for me to get AAA at A level.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I am predicted an 8 at GCSE maths. Would it be relatively easy for me to get an A? I know I haven't learned any of the content for A level maths yet, I could just be panicking about nothing.
Original post by School_Student99
I want a job in the medical field; most preferably a GP but I wouldn't mind being a pharmacist or an optometrist. I am guaranteed to do biology and chemistry A level, but I don't know what to do for my third A level.
I am considering maths because I heard that if you take A level biology, chemistry and maths then EVERY medical school would be open to you. The only problem is, I was looking at some past papers for A level maths and it looks REALLY, REALLY hard- I don't know if I'll be able to get an A in it.
If I pick something other than maths (IT or computer science most likely) for my third A level, could I still get into medical school? Is A level maths favoured? Or is it worth not doing A level maths so that it would be easier for me to get AAA at A level.
Thanks

I am predicted an 8 at GCSE maths. Would it be relatively easy for me to get an A? I know I haven't learned any of the content for A level maths yet, I could just be panicking about nothing.

Nearly all universities will be open to you with Chem and Biol. Have a look on the medicine forum. There is a massive thread showing which university accepts what. Maths would be an ideal subject. Others worth considering would be Psychology and Geography although your 3rd subject will have little impact.
Reply 4
Thanks

I would recommend maths. It's not that hard, you just need to stay on top of the workload tbh. But most medicine courses only require chem and another science ie bio, so you're better off just taking a subject that you know you'll do well in. Sixth forms are usually quite open to changing subjects, so you can probably switch at the beginning of yr 12 anyway, if you really want to. Do some research into A level subjects tho, and see what you think you might like and be good at.
Reply 5

Should be okay tbh. You don't need to learn the a level content before you start. Just stay onto of your workload now, and it should be fine
Reply 6

Should be okay tbh. You don't need to learn the a level content before you start. Just stay ontop of your workload now, and it should be fine
Thanks

Pick a subject you enjoy and are good at.
Everyone thanks so much for replying! I will take all your advice into account, thanks!
most unis want the third to be psychology, maths or physics
(edited 1 month ago)
Useful stuff...

Useful list of entry requirements for all Med Schools for 2024 entry - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)

Difference between Pharmacy and Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)

Examples of other 'related to Medicine' science courses -
Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol (scroll down)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences - Study - University of Liverpool

Roles within the NHS - Explore roles | Health Careers
Original post by McGinger
Useful stuff...
Useful list of entry requirements for all Med Schools for 2024 entry - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)
Difference between Pharmacy and Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
Examples of other 'related to Medicine' science courses -
Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol (scroll down)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences - Study - University of Liverpool
Roles within the NHS - Explore roles | Health Careers

That link is really useful, thanks!
Original post by niqabiforever21
most unis want the third to be psychology, maths or physics

Thanks for the info
After doing some research I am now heavily considering psychology as my third A level, although maths is still something to think about- I'm just worried if I could get an A in it or not. I'm still also considering geography and computer science.
Reply 13
Hey! I applied to med school this year and received all invites- 3 offers despite not having done maths. You DO NOT need maths- bio and chem will be fine, and most med school say any other subject OR some say one of physics, maths, psychology. Have a look at links above and also don't doubt yourself- if you're determined and work hard, you can easily smash that A! Good luck- if you need any help regarding applications, look on medicine threads or ask me! xxx
Original post by medicx
Hey! I applied to med school this year and received all invites- 3 offers despite not having done maths. You DO NOT need maths- bio and chem will be fine, and most med school say any other subject OR some say one of physics, maths, psychology. Have a look at links above and also don't doubt yourself- if you're determined and work hard, you can easily smash that A! Good luck- if you need any help regarding applications, look on medicine threads or ask me! xxx

Thanks so much for your kindness and help; I appreciate it a lot!
Original post by medicx

Just out of interest, what was your third A level?

Thanks

There is literally only one medical school that you need your third A-level to be a science or maths subject for (Cambridge.). All the others don't care what you want (except UCLan and Leeds which require the third subject to be "academic").

Don't worry about doing maths if you don't want to take it.
Reply 17
Just out of interest, what was your third A level?

Psychology- loved it too! Thought it went well alongside bio as some topics link e.g. the brain and nervous system x
Original post by medicx
Psychology- loved it too! Thought it went well alongside bio as some topics link e.g. the brain and nervous system x

Neat, thanks for the help!
Original post by artful_lounger
There is literally only one medical school that you need your third A-level to be a science or maths subject for (Cambridge.). All the others don't care what you want (except UCLan and Leeds which require the third subject to be "academic").
Don't worry about doing maths if you don't want to take it.

Cool, thanks so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest