The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Salter's-Nuffield Advanced Biology Papers 1, 2, 3 (9BN0 01-03)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pH092
I thought it was pretty good, most of the 4 marks were brilliant especially the lungs and the DNA replication one, multiple choices were also easy, as with the maths, the most difficult question I though was the antibiotic 6 marker. How did you find the question about how a gene can give rise to more than one protein? was it about exons and intron?

yh i talked about introns exons splicing stuff for that q. for the antibiotics 6marker, i waffled and just repeated data
its weird that specific immunity didnt come up a lot
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by pH092
I thought it was pretty good, most of the 4 marks were brilliant especially the lungs and the DNA replication one, multiple choices were also easy, as with the maths, the most difficult question I though was the antibiotic 6 marker. How did you find the question about how a gene can give rise to more than one protein? was it about exons and intron?

Wrote about people not finishing their courses of antibiotics. Ways to prevent it is only prescribe when needed and prescribe narrow spectrum instead of broad etc
The inflammatory response one was good. Wrote about inflammation and phagocytosis and stuff
Reply 83
Is it just me that found it harder than everyone else. Like the first half was good with all the knowledge questions, and then I started to run out of time and I completely misread the antibiotic question and wrote a sentence on mutation just before the time ran out, instead of antibiotic resistance happening when people don't finish their prescription. I don't have much hope for paper 2 now- it's not gonna be easier than this paper was.
did you talk about mast cells secreting histamine? I wasnt sure becuase it wasnt talking about a cut it was talking about infection

Original post by stressyalevel-er
The inflammatory response one was good. Wrote about inflammation and phagocytosis and stuff
Original post by rnanucleotide
did you talk about mast cells secreting histamine? I wasnt sure becuase it wasnt talking about a cut it was talking about infection

I mentioned histamines by WBCs making histamines that increased permeability of capillaries and leak plasma which are antibodies and how they increase blood flow by dilating arterioles. Increased blood flow means increased WBCs, inflammatory response and increased metabolic activity with heat stops pathogens reproducing
(edited 10 months ago)
I mentioned histamines by WBCs making histamines that increased permeability of capillaries and leak plasma which are antibodies and how they increase blood flow by dilating arterioles. Increased blood flow means increased WBCs, inflammatory response and increased metabolic activity with heat stops pathogens reproducing

Same!! Glad to know someone did the same as me lol.
What a brilliant exam that was without any questions linked to plants or photosynthesis for a change
Original post by moodswings23
What a brilliant exam that was without any questions linked to plants or photosynthesis for a change

Yeah man cuz all of them will be in paper 3 lol. NOT looking forward to that.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 89
Original post by moodswings23

how do ppl not like photosynthesis? I think it's such a beautiful topic icl defo one of the easier ones. ns how you can find that harder than all the impulses and retina typa ****
Reply 90
Original post by cellulus25
yh i talked about introns exons splicing stuff for that q. for the antibiotics 6marker, i waffled and just repeated data
its weird that specific immunity didnt come up a lot

wth why did I think it was asking about transcription factors... damn
Reply 91
I think i might have misread that question- did it asks about how inflammation happens or something slightly different. I wrote about histamines being released and how that causes inflammation at an infected site, not about white blood cells.
Original post by mxyz1010
I think i might have misread that question- did it asks about how inflammation happens or something slightly different. I wrote about histamines being released and how that causes inflammation at an infected site, not about white blood cells.

It asked how the inflammatory response helps destroy pathogens or smth and the 2 inflammatory responses are inflammation and phagocytosis. The others are cell mediated and humoral responses
Reply 93

I wrote abt what triggers inflammation the processes. Talked abt vasodilation of the arteries, permeablility??
Original post by Tommy_4kt
I wrote abt what triggers inflammation the processes. Talked abt vasodilation of the arteries, permeablility??

Yeah man that’s it. Arteries don’t dilate tho it’s the arterioles
how did you guys find it compared to past papers?
Reply 96
Original post by rnanucleotide
how did you guys find it compared to past papers?

it acc wasnt too bad there wasnt much application the questions were pretty straight forward but the wording of some of them were meh, like uno part b to q 1 it was like describe how the amplified DNA could be prepared to be analysed in gel electrophoresis, were u meant to talk about gel electrophoresis or PCR

oh no reading this, i realised i didnt asnwer the q fully. i just talked about swelling bit without mentioning antibodies ugh
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by stitch_
it acc wasnt too bad there wasnt much application the questions were pretty straight forward but the wording of some of them were meh, like uno part b to q 1 it was like describe how the amplified DNA could be prepared to be analysed in gel electrophoresis, were u meant to talk about gel electrophoresis or PCR

The sample was already amplified and it said “how would you prepare for gel electrophoresis” so it referred to the restriction enzymes and dyes and stuff like the practical
i talked about the addition of fluorescent primers then i also talked about preparation of gel electrophoresis. i also explained how florescent primers can allow the bands to be seen

Original post by stitch_

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending