The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Politics Paper 2 - 7152/2 7 June 2023 [Exam chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chomskylover
dm me

if possible could you send me this on twitter @BenHannay2, have had to make my own possible questions for paper 2 as school have been useless
I don't understand the whole structural and cultural theory concept. I don't think I've come across this topic. Is it an urgent topic i should be going over?
Reply 42
Original post by Aimen.Faisal
I don't understand the whole structural and cultural theory concept. I don't think I've come across this topic. Is it an urgent topic i should be going over?

its only a 9 marker in the exam so i wouldn't stress too much about it, but look at the mark scheme for the textbook that goes over how to answer those questions
Original post by mnbi
its only a 9 marker in the exam so i wouldn't stress too much about it, but look at the mark scheme for the textbook that goes over how to answer those questions

Thank you
Reply 44

Structural is the role of political institutions and structures (Parliamentary sovereignty etc)
Rational is the role of individuals (pressure groups, individual MPs/members of congress etc)
Cultural is the role of shared culture/history (e.g., America being hostile to a monarchy, history of protest for stuff like BLM etc)
It explains it better at the start of Chapter 12 in the AQA textbook if you have access to that?
Original post by saskia.jpg
Structural is the role of political institutions and structures (Parliamentary sovereignty etc)
Rational is the role of individuals (pressure groups, individual MPs/members of congress etc)
Cultural is the role of shared culture/history (e.g., America being hostile to a monarchy, history of protest for stuff like BLM etc)
It explains it better at the start of Chapter 12 in the AQA textbook if you have access to that?

yeah I have access to it, will check it out now thank you a lot :smile:
Reply 46
no problem :smile:

yeah I have access to it, will check it out now thank you a lot :smile:
Reply 47
At the beginning of the theory 9 markers, I use these, then apply them to the question.

Rational
The Rational Choice Approach theorises how individuals behave to maximise their own best interests- so it might be thought of as the 'selfish' model or consumer model. By acting rationally, individuals judge how best to achieve their aims. These aims may be winning or maintaining power within a political system or attempting to achieve ideological or policy goals.

Cultural
A cultural approach looks at how we are influenced by the groups we belong to, such as political parties, pressure groups, factions or groups of voters. It suggests that people operate as they do because of the culture of the group they are in. The group culture is the shared ideas, beliefs and values to which members conform, and which influences individual members' actions.

Structural
The structural approach focuses on the institutions in a political system and the processes within them. A structural approach suggests that political outcomes are largely determined by the formal processes such as how laws are made, how elects are organised, how legislatures and executives are structured.

ye

yeah very possible, going to plan both, we could get a structural on PM relationship with cabinet, lobbying, party make-up etc.

Feel free to DM me and I can send you the document that I made where I'm answering every 9 marker possible really

hi, could I message you on insta for the 9 marker document? xx
hi yes what is ur social
Original post by beth12345678910
hi, could I message you on insta for the 9 marker document? xx
its _bethhutch
hi yes what is ur social
Will pressure groups be likely to come up?
Reply 52
Original post by #divatastic#
Will pressure groups be likely to come up?

Definitely unlikely as a 9 marker given what we had on paper 1. It definitely could come up as a comparative imo
Really hoping we get a comparative 25 on the judiciaries. Was entirely absent from Paper 1 and hasn’t come up in that way before.
Reply 54
ye

yeah very possible, going to plan both, we could get a structural on PM relationship with cabinet, lobbying, party make-up etc.

Feel free to DM me and I can send you the document that I made where I'm answering every 9 marker possible really

Hi, thanks for offering and helping everyone out!! Any chance you can send it to insta @phoenix.esu
Reply 55
Original post by IsMiseGeorge
Really hoping we get a comparative 25 on the judiciaries. Was entirely absent from Paper 1 and hasn’t come up in that way before.

I have a good feeling about Supreme Court coming up as a comparative essay ! I don't believe it has yet and like you said it didn't come up in Paper 1 annoyingly, sooo
Reply 56
I really hope so too, but it was last years paper 1 25
Original post by saskia.jpg
I have a good feeling about Supreme Court coming up as a comparative essay ! I don't believe it has yet and like you said it didn't come up in Paper 1 annoyingly, sooo
Original post by zakh2222
At the beginning of the theory 9 markers, I use these, then apply them to the question.

Rational
The Rational Choice Approach theorises how individuals behave to maximise their own best interests- so it might be thought of as the 'selfish' model or consumer model. By acting rationally, individuals judge how best to achieve their aims. These aims may be winning or maintaining power within a political system or attempting to achieve ideological or policy goals.

Cultural
A cultural approach looks at how we are influenced by the groups we belong to, such as political parties, pressure groups, factions or groups of voters. It suggests that people operate as they do because of the culture of the group they are in. The group culture is the shared ideas, beliefs and values to which members conform, and which influences individual members' actions.

Structural
The structural approach focuses on the institutions in a political system and the processes within them. A structural approach suggests that political outcomes are largely determined by the formal processes such as how laws are made, how elects are organised, how legislatures and executives are structured.

Thank you this is extremely helpful :smile:

do these questions about structural/rational/cultural definitely come up as a 9 marker every year?
Reply 58
Thank you this is extremely helpful :smile:

do these questions about structural/rational/cultural definitely come up as a 9 marker every year?

yes, they're the last 9 marker on the paper
Reply 59
Original post by Bella.3
I really hope so too, but it was last years paper 1 25

The 25 marker for Paper 1 both this year and last year was on Democracy and Participation so :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending