The Student Room Group

Cardiff vs liverpool

I have received offers both from Cardiff and Liverpool for the course of BIM. They both are equally good overall and have almost similar ranking.
Could anyone suggest what would be a better choice based on the following-
-cost of living in both
-employment rate
-overall teaching experience and research prospects
Reply 1
You need to look at the course - the optional units for each course for each year of the course.
What would you choose if you went to each one?

Do either of them have any extras like study abroad or placement options - these add enormously to your graduate job chances.

Watch the campus tour and open day films on YouTube - and the tourist films for each city.
Think carefully about what you want, and which Uni and city seems more appealing.

Liverpool and Cardiff are both excellent Unis - and both cities are diverse, fun places to live with lots going on.

No-one else can tell you where to go to Uni, where is 'best' for you, or which course you will enjoy most - because they aren't you.
Reply 2
Go to Cardiff, a much nicer city.
Hiya! I'm Fatiha, a Cardiff University Student Rep, in my second year of studying Psychology :smile:

I can't really say what would be the better option, since university experience is so subjective, but I can give you some insight on what studying at Cardiff is like!

Cost of living is pretty good, Cardiff is a pretty student-friendly city so living here is quite affordable! It helps that we have Lidl on campus, and that most things are in a walkable distance - so I find that I don't really need to invest much into transport (I actually only went on a bus once or twice first year). Accommodation is pretty affordable as well, I find myself being able to live comfortably as as a student here. Our student union tends to do some schemes to help with cost of living as well, which I find helpful. The School of Engineering (which I think the BIM course is from, correct me if I'm wrong) is located quite close to the city center, so that's convenient as well :smile:

Employment rates tend to change from course to course within a university - the employment rate for Psychology I would imagine, would be very different to other courses. Plus, they tend to fluctuate year to year depending on the economy at the time. My advice is to give it a quick google search, since there are always lots of information online! Universities are always happy to answer questions as well (and probably know more about employment rates than I do!) so contacting the university staff about this might be helpful.

Whilst teaching at universities tend to be consistent among different courses, there are sometimes some slight differences! Although, Cardiff Uni has been awarded a Silver TEF classification, which means teaching is pretty decent! We have tons of research going on in Cardiff - there are lots of summer internship schemes for students. I'm currently doing a summer research internship here at the uni, so if you were interested about that I'd love to talk about it :smile:

My biggest suggestion is to do a lot of research and weigh out the pros and cons of each uni. Choosing a course can be a really difficult decision to make, especially when the courses seem quite good! I like to write it down and make a side-by-side comparison, then make my decision based on that (that's how I ended up deciding on Cardiff!).

- Fatiha :smile:
Hi there,

I can see that Fatiha has posted some really useful stuff about Cardiff, so I'll give some viewpoint from Liverpool. I would though really support what Fatiha says regarding decision-making, and also on employability too!

Liverpool is a great, really livable city, it is affordable in comparison to many other UK cities (though I would imagine Cardiff is quite similar cost of living wise). I think that Liverpool's most positive aspect is the culture that it offers, there is a huge diversity of music, performing arts, and museums/galleries in the city which are amazing. There is also many lovely parks, the docks and river and you can get out to the beach and countryside in about 15/20 minute which is great!

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to know more about :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending