The Student Room Group

Do you get capped at 40% when retaking a year at uni?

I was considering retaking my third year at uni due to COVID-19 but I was just told you get capped at 40% for every module you retake, is this true? Even if they’re first attempts you still get capped?

I still have 2 exams, a piece of coursework and my dissertation to complete but I was told by university that if I kept applying for extenuating circumstances in September (week commencing the 7th) that I was able to repeat my third year again all together, but get capped at 40% for all the modules

Would I even achieve a good classified degree if I get capped at 40% for my whole third year? My second semester grades were also mediocre with 49% being my highest.
I’m not familiar with your university process but for mine, it meant resits would be capped at 40%. First sittings/attempts would be uncapped at my university if there were legitimate extenuating circumstances but it would be noted on your transcript.
At many universities the final year is worth the most towards your degree classification and if you’re capped at 40%, you are most likely to obtain a Third Class Honours degree or a 2:2 if your first/second year averages were extremely high.
Original post by Anonymous
I was considering retaking my third year at uni due to COVID-19 but I was just told you get capped at 40% for every module you retake, is this true? Even if they’re first attempts you still get capped?

I still have 2 exams, a piece of coursework and my dissertation to complete but I was told by university that if I kept applying for extenuating circumstances in September (week commencing the 7th) that I was able to repeat my third year again all together, but get capped at 40% for all the modules

Would I even achieve a good classified degree if I get capped at 40% for my whole third year? My second semester grades were also mediocre with 49% being my highest.

In a normal scenario most unis would cap the marks at 40%, you would need to check your universities regulations.

If you have extenuating circumstances perhaps you could appeal to have the resit year uncapped, but you would have to show evidence that this is justified.
What do you mean by noted on your transcript?
Reply 4
Which university?
Original post by Anonymous

when I did pharmacy at medway (uni of kent and uni of greenwich), it was that much, but i know some people at other unis who said their cap was 50%.
Original post by asmee
Which university?

Wolverhampton
Original post by Chadajadex
What do you mean by noted on your transcript?

For my university, on your transcript with all the breakdown of marks, there's a column next to it with codes on whether it's first sitting (extenuating circumstances), re-sit (after failed module), passed (normal first sitting with no extenuating circumstances), failed, condoned failed (failed but no need to retake) etc.
Original post by Anonymous #3
when I did pharmacy at medway (uni of kent and uni of greenwich), it was that much, but i know some people at other unis who said their cap was 50%.

Im currently studying at uni of greenwich 2nd year I failed a module and it led to assessment offences panel due to falsification of results im probably going to need to repeat the whole year do you think the modules that I have already done and passed be capped at 40% when I retake them although I passed them in the first place, hope that makes sense
Original post by Anonymous #4
Im currently studying at uni of greenwich 2nd year I failed a module and it led to assessment offences panel due to falsification of results im probably going to need to repeat the whole year do you think the modules that I have already done and passed be capped at 40% when I retake them although I passed them in the first place, hope that makes sense

This sounds like a more complex situation where you have two separate things:
1) failing a module
2) serious academic misconduct

In your case the second offence is very serious, and you are lucky to be given a resit opportunity. You can ask the question of can you retain your already passed credits (if it was just repeating failed modules this would typically be allowed), however given your misconduct they may feel none of your modules can be passed at the exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending