The Student Room Group

Chemistry help please !!!

Hi there I’m doing about rates of reaction and I don’t understand why you couldn’t use the ICE method for the first example . I tried doing it but got a different answer . Can someone please help and tell me how you know what method to use . Thank you. I’ve attached the two example questions.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
You should be able to use the ICE (Initial, Change, Equilibrium) method for the first example. The initial and equilibrium rows are already given, and the change row would be the difference between the two of them. If you had to work it out from beginning for yourself, start by writing the given initial concentrations in the relevant boxes, and then work out changes in concentrations of Cu2+ and Cl- ions given a change of +x in the concentration of CuCl42- ions. Finally, add each column in change and initial rows to get the values for the equilibrium row.

There's a good worked example in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCW6z0iXtoY&t=199s
Reply 2
Original post by lordaxil
You should be able to use the ICE (Initial, Change, Equilibrium) method for the first example. The initial and equilibrium rows are already given, and the change row would be the difference between the two of them. If you had to work it out from beginning for yourself, start by writing the given initial concentrations in the relevant boxes, and then work out changes in concentrations of Cu2+ and Cl- ions given a change of +x in the concentration of CuCl42- ions. Finally, add each column in change and initial rows to get the values for the equilibrium row.

There's a good worked example in the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCW6z0iXtoY&t=199s

Hii thank you so much for responding. I did try the ice method and got 0.0439 mol for Fe2+ and Ag+ and +0.1561 for Fe3+ which is different from on the example. Any chance you know where I’m going wrong ?
Reply 3
Ah - I see. In the second example, the change in Fe2+/Ag+ concentration is 0.0439 - 0.05 = -0.0061 mol dm-3, so the change in Fe3+ has to be +0.0061 mol dm-3 because the reactants and products are all in 1:1 ratio.
Reply 4
Original post by lordaxil
Ah - I see. In the second example, the change in Fe2+/Ag+ concentration is 0.0439 - 0.05 = -0.0061 mol dm-3, so the change in Fe3+ has to be +0.0061 mol dm-3 because the reactants and products are all in 1:1 ratio.

Ahhh yes I’ve got it now , thank you so so much !!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest