The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree

im thinking about applying through ucas extra to study chemistry as a degree. although i enjoy chemistry, im thinking about the job oppurtunties after and employability and im not sure what i would go into after i finish the degree. I dont wnat to go into teaching and obviously im looking at doing something that pays well. I orginally wanted to do pharmacy since this includes a large amount of chemistry However im not sure anymore. Please help (ps sorry about spelling and grammar aim in a rush :wink:)
Original post by enaiiii
im thinking about applying through ucas extra to study chemistry as a degree. although i enjoy chemistry, im thinking about the job oppurtunties after and employability and im not sure what i would go into after i finish the degree. I dont wnat to go into teaching and obviously im looking at doing something that pays well. I orginally wanted to do pharmacy since this includes a large amount of chemistry However im not sure anymore. Please help (ps sorry about spelling and grammar aim in a rush :wink:)
Hiya,

I'm currently a third-year chemistry student at Lancaster University. I personally think it's a very versatile degree with many job-opportunities after it. While pharmacy is one option as you have mentioned, there are many other sectors where chemists are essential.

pharmaceutical industry- working in areas like drug development, quality control or research and development

chemical industry- for research, product development and quality assurance

environmental control- in areas like pollution control, waste management and renewable energy

analytical chemistry- in industries such as food and beverage or healthcare

materials science- working on new materials for construction or medical devices

There is lots of information on specific jobs after a chemistry degree on the prospects website (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/chemistry). It also has statistics on the employability of chemistry graduates with 88.4% going on to further study and work.

I hope this helps and any other questions let me know
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending