The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

I want to change my Major.

I currently hold an offer to study biochemistry at the university of manchester, however I’ve realised that a major in chemistry aligns with my interests more. I emailed the uni but they have refused to do so as the spaces have been filled? Is there anything that I can do to get into my desired program, please help.
Original post by Zararizwannn
I currently hold an offer to study biochemistry at the university of manchester, however I’ve realised that a major in chemistry aligns with my interests more. I emailed the uni but they have refused to do so as the spaces have been filled? Is there anything that I can do to get into my desired program, please help.

No, you need to look around other universities to do Chemistry. If Manchester's course is full - that means it is full.

When did you realise that you wanted to do Chemistry?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
only just recently that i’ve realised this. Isnt there any chance i can change it after i go there?
only just recently that i’ve realised this. Isnt there any chance i can change it after i go there?

No, you asked the university this and they told you no. You've asked it here and I've told you no. Asking a third time unfortunately will not change the answer.

How recently?
Point being if it was before Thursday then there could have been something we could do to get you onto a chemistry course somewhere else. There may still be opportunities, but some doors will have closed since Thursday morning.

EDIT: Looks like you can still find something, about 800 results for chemistry on UCAS Clearing search:
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Chemistry&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=CoursesInClearing
(edited 8 months ago)

I wanted to change my subject too and I ended up doing it through clearing.
Reply 5
Original post by ArcusActivate
I wanted to change my subject too and I ended up doing it through clearing.

hi yes clearing is an option but i still want to attend manchester, thankyou for your reply !
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
No, you asked the university this and they told you no. You've asked it here and I've told you no. Asking a third time unfortunately will not change the answer.

How recently?
Point being if it was before Thursday then there could have been something we could do to get you onto a chemistry course somewhere else. There may still be opportunities, but some doors will have closed since Thursday morning.

EDIT: Looks like you can still find something, about 800 results for chemistry on UCAS Clearing search:
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Chemistry&studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=1&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=CoursesInClearing

There website mentions that students can transfer to the chemistry course from other courses within the university. That is why i was confused if there still is an opportunity of changing while im attending the university.
There website mentions that students can transfer to the chemistry course from other courses within the university. That is why i was confused if there still is an opportunity of changing while im attending the university.

This would likely be at the end of the first year of the course you start.

As I have said twice before, if you've asked the university a question please believe the answer you get in reply.

If you aren't willing to absorb my advice there isn't much I can do to help you :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
This would likely be at the end of the first year of the course you start.

As I have said twice before, if you've asked the university a question please believe the answer you get in reply.

If you aren't willing to absorb my advice there isn't much I can do to help you :frown:

Thankyou so much for your response. It has helped a lot. I’ll apply for clearing instead of holding a false beacon of hope. Thankyou !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending