The Student Room Group

what is the appeal of vaping?

especially to my sort of age group (gen z) I don't understand how vaping has gotten such a choke hold. all through my primary school and secondary school experience I had countless PSHE lessons and assemblies about the dangers of smoking and what diseases it can cause. I remember at the time talking with my other classmates and we all agreed that it would be foolish for anyone to start smoking and that it wouldn't be surprising if our generation was the one to finally be rid of the cigarette.

of course I know people grow up and have different opinions and societal pressure etc, but it just baffles me that all that information we got that previous generations didn't just flew out the window for a mango flavored cancer stick!
I went to school in the 80/90s and the vast majority of kids, me included, were part of the 'why would we ever smoke or drink?' group, it doesn't seem to last

In terms of vapes, despite initially liking the novelty I'm starting to see them as negative and hard to deny kids are targeted, Its the combo of pocket tech device, portable sweet shop and 'sort of' drugs. Although you do need to take into account that a lot of the health issues with cigs simply don't apply to vapes... although they will v likely over time be found to have their own issues.
(Just be grateful they haven't combined one with a mobile phone yet, otherwise that's this generations quadra-dead)
Rebelling is part of being a teenager.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
I went to school in the 80/90s and the vast majority of kids, me included, were part of the 'why would we ever smoke or drink?' group, it doesn't seem to last

In terms of vapes, despite initially liking the novelty I'm starting to see them as negative and hard to deny kids are targeted, Its the combo of pocket tech device, portable sweet shop and 'sort of' drugs. Although you do need to take into account that a lot of the health issues with cigs simply don't apply to vapes... although they will v likely over time be found to have their own issues.

I don't get them either. They seem a bit pointless. I also can't believe how expensive cigarettes are now - £10 - £20 for a pack of 20. Who wastes that sort of cash and why?

The recent exposé from the BBC on the potential dangerous chemicals in vapes is also another very good reason not to get involved. Now then, my beer glass seems to be empty! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Fitting in
Reply 6
Original post by hotpud
Now then, my beer glass seems to be empty! :biggrin:

:awesome:
You not want to look cool, broheim?
Reply 8
Original post by imlikeahermit
You not want to look cool, broheim?

I truly can't think of anything further from cool than hitting a vape. It tells everyone youre just a ***** that wants the nic aesthetic but not committed enough to risk your health w cigs. Total turn off.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
In my personal opinion, as I'm adamant that I'll never drink or smoke(and I'm not going to change this for anyone or anything), vapes are as bad as anything else; it's basically poison that you're ingesting into your body for what seems to be no particular reason. Ok the point of vapes is to provide an alternative to the cigarettes in a less harmful package which isn't a problem if it attracts cigarettes smokers as it will be a slightly healthier option and it'll prolong the life of a cigarette smoker for a certain period. But the problem I see is why the vape is being targeted to y7's and upwards, like these idiots who buy vapes to look cool in the back of a bus are only decreasing their life expectancy by ingesting this poison into their system. Sure in the short term period vapes don't seem to cause any major issues with the system but surely everyone can see the long term period, I am sure some smart folks can see the dangers of this new addiction in our society which'll only attract even younger children as time goes on. The reason as to why many young teenagers "vape" is baffling but the worrying fact is that what is that there is nothing we can do to stop this rising addiction which is the sad truth as this has to stop, but how? Fining shop keepers from selling to underage people is gonna stop but what about middle men? Who's gonna stop older people from buying and reselling vapes?
(edited 10 months ago)
because nicotine is addictive and blowing smoke is fun.
Rebelling again parents
Reply 12
Exactly the same way as smoking did originally i imagine with the added substantial bonus that people quite like nicotine without the unpleasant effects of tobacco itself. Ask any smoker, very few will say that they enjoyed their first cigarette... as opposed to that strawberry ice colourful widgit.
Reply 13
i switched to vaping a few weeks cuz i can't even afford that one cigarette a day i used to enjoy i'm so poor. no you can't shame me; this is the one luxury i have left.

but if i was 15 and had choice i would definitely choose the cigarettes. vaping is lame. looks like you're sucking on a florescent coloured children's toy, and isnt the point of being a teenage rebel to look older and cooler, james deen rebel without a cause? idk but apparently even snoop dogg has his own vapes now. death row vapes or something lmao trying to imagine the music video
Reply 14
Original post by Genesiss
i switched to vaping a few weeks cuz i can't even afford that one cigarette a day i used to enjoy i'm so poor. no you can't shame me; this is the one luxury i have left.

but if i was 15 and had choice i would definitely choose the cigarettes. vaping is lame. looks like you're sucking on a florescent coloured children's toy, and isnt the point of being a teenage rebel to look older and cooler, james deen rebel without a cause? idk but apparently even snoop dogg has his own vapes now. death row vapes or something lmao trying to imagine the music video

Would you though? If you were looking to start out on either path i cant imagine that many people would actively chose cigarettes. No one has ever claimed they didn't taste revolting before they got used to them after all. The only real plus going for them being the 'cool' look (and not needing a charger)
Original post by Spelunker
especially to my sort of age group (gen z) I don't understand how vaping has gotten such a choke hold. all through my primary school and secondary school experience I had countless PSHE lessons and assemblies about the dangers of smoking and what diseases it can cause. I remember at the time talking with my other classmates and we all agreed that it would be foolish for anyone to start smoking and that it wouldn't be surprising if our generation was the one to finally be rid of the cigarette.

of course I know people grow up and have different opinions and societal pressure etc, but it just baffles me that all that information we got that previous generations didn't just flew out the window for a mango flavored cancer stick!

I've also been puzzled by the vaping trend among Gen Z, despite all the anti-smoking education we've had. I think the appeal lies in the variety of flavours and the modern, techy aspect of vaping devices. It's seen as a 'cooler', more contemporary alternative to traditional smoking.

Personally, I'm not a smoker, but I've tried vaping. Many of my friends are into experimenting with various tastes, and they often pick new ones to try. Sometimes, they get these flavours from this store, which has a pretty diverse range.

I'll admit, it's gotten me curious a couple of times, and I've been tempted to give it a go. But whenever I think about trying it, I always remind myself to be mindful of my health
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending