The Student Room Group

2023–24 by-elections thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SHallowvale
I have a feeling that the Conservatives will retain one of these seats, at least. I'd love to be proven wrong but the party has a habit of clinging on to power despite being utterly ****. 😂

More likely that they will lose the three tonight on a sub 50% turnout because Tories will stay home, they will then probably get 2 of the 3 come the general election.
Original post by Rakas21
More likely that they will lose the three tonight on a sub 50% turnout because Tories will stay home, they will then probably get 2 of the 3 come the general election.

My money would be on one of the three. They're going to get creamed at the general.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Sigh. I find it difficult to imagine why many people will still vote for them given all that's gone on. A segment of the population are firmly under the grip of Mailygraph mind control.

That said, I feel that it's likely to be a clean sweep against them. Shame we won't hear the results until tomorrow, it would have been nice to go to bed feeling cheerful tonight. :teehee:

Polls have shown the Conservative floor to be about 20%, nationally. Even at the height of Liz Truss they were stuck at about 21%. Horrifying to think that 1 in 5 people are happy with them at the very least.
Original post by Rakas21

I'm not so sure. If Labour win Selby then I think the Conservatives will definitely win it back in 2024/25, but Uxbridge already had a small majority and Somerton has historically been a consistent Lib Dem seat (albeit with a small majority).

If Labour win Uxbridge and the Lib Dems win Somerton then I expect they might hold onto the seats at the next election, unless there is a huge shift in public opinion at a national level.
I'm not so sure. If Labour win Selby then I think the Conservatives will definitely win it back in 2024/25, but Uxbridge already had a small majority and Somerton has historically been a consistent Lib Dem seat (albeit with a small majority).

If Labour win Uxbridge and the Lib Dems win Somerton then I expect they might hold onto the seats at the next election, unless there is a huge shift in public opinion at a national level.

It's interesting that the former Uxbridge constituency did not go Labour in Blair's '97 landslide, the Tories took it by around 1000 votes - the changes to the new constituency didn't seem to change that, if anything making it more Tory. It would quite an achievement I think for Labour to win it now and then hold it at the next election, but on current polling, it does seem likely they will.
Reply 25
My money would be on one of the three. They're going to get creamed at the general.

It’s true that they are likely to suffer defeat but I’m confident that it won’t be anything approaching current polling.
Original post by Rakas21
It’s true that they are likely to suffer defeat but I’m confident that it won’t be anything approaching current polling.

I know things usually narrow towards an election but I really question if that's going to happen to any great extent this time, the Tories appear to have given up everything except culture war nonsense now and there's clearly no hope amongst their ranks of winning. Sunak is just coasting, enjoying his last months at No 10 and hardly bothering.
It's interesting that the former Uxbridge constituency did not go Labour in Blair's '97 landslide, the Tories took it by around 1000 votes - the changes to the new constituency didn't seem to change that, if anything making it more Tory. It would quite an achievement I think for Labour to win it now and then hold it at the next election, but on current polling, it does seem likely they will.

1997 marked a political shift from Conservatives to Labour in London, with London being majority Labour in all subsequent elections. Naturally some constituencies hold on, particularly Uxbridge. I guess being in a more well-to-do area makes it harder for the Conservatives to lose it?

Will be interesting to see tomorrows results and how they compare to national projections.
Reply 28
I know things usually narrow towards an election but I really question if that's going to happen to any great extent this time, the Tories appear to have given up everything except culture war nonsense now and there's clearly no hope amongst their ranks of winning. Sunak is just coasting, enjoying his last months at No 10 and hardly bothering.

My monthly modelling for political betting forecasts about 13% as the gap (albeit that relies on my subjective assumptions) currently though I expect that to squeeze a bit further over time.
Reply 29
On the assumption that the Tories lose all three tonight, the question for the general election is whether this is due to transfer or Tories staying home, therefore I've listed the number of votes the Lib Dem's and Lab got in 2019 as the threshold to keep the seat come the general election.

Uxbridge
Lab - 18000

Selby
Labour - 13000

Lib Dem
Reply 30
Tories lost in Selby and Froome but held Uxbridge.

As per my comment above the Lib Dem's polled 21000 and Labour in Selby polled 16000, Labour polled 13000 in Uxbridge.

Some genuine vote transfer in Somerset and Selby then but not greater than the 2019 majority turnout adjusted.

In Uxbridge, both Lab and Con stayed home which suggests the Tories also retain the seat.
Reply 32
Selby very impressive for Labour but probably goes back to Tories in the general.

Uxbridge shows that the national labour lead can be beaten by a focussed local campaign.

Somerton and Frome the most significant imo. If the Lib Dems start to be competitive again in their former South west heartlands, the Tories really will be in danger. The sheer size of the Lib Dem majority suggests they have a good chance of keeping it at the general.

Also Brexit clearly no longer an issue at all in how people vote. Selby and Somerton were both strong leave seats yet backed remain parties.

But, despite the huge poll leads there is very little actual enthusiasm for Labour and certainly none for Keir. The support is soft. All is not lost for the Tories.
(edited 9 months ago)
The Tories have held onto one seat, my pessimism was rightly placed!

Uxbridge looks to be a special case given how the ULEZ it is a very important issue at a local level. The Conservatives will milk the result for all its worth but the future looks bleak for them.

Selby, one of their safest seats, had one of the largest recorded by-election swings in history. These things don't happen randomly, parties don't just lose their safest seats at by-elections without there being a clear mood for change among the public.

Not a perfect win for Labour but still a very promising result. It will be interesting to see how future by-elections go.
Original post by DSilva
Selby very impressive for Labour but probably goes back to Tories in the general.

Uxbridge shows that the national labour lead is soft, as it can be beaten by a focussed local campaign.

Somerton and Frome the most significant imo. If the Lib Dems start to be competitive again in their former South west heartlands, the Tories really will be in danger. The sheer size of the Lib Dem majority suggests they have a good chance of keeping it at the general.

Overall, despite the huge poll leads there is very little actual enthusiasm for Labour and certainly none for Keir. The support is soft. All is not lost for the Tories.

On the other hand, without a local issue like the ULEZ how can the Tories retain seats outside of London? London is already a strong Labour area so Labour don't have much to gain there anyway, whereas Selby is located in a region where they need to win seats back.
Reply 35
On the other hand, without a local issue like the ULEZ how can the Tories retain seats outside of London? London is already a strong Labour area so Labour don't have much to gain there anyway, whereas Selby is located in a region where they need to win seats back.

I suspect they will go big against Labours 'green agenda' (to the extent it still exists) and try to use it as a wedge issue.

My worry though is that it will mean Labour basically u turn on every green issue and become even more cautious. Throughout the by election there was no attempt by Labour to defend Ulez or make the case for it. They accepted the Tories framing that it was bad from the start.
I'll be surprised if ULEZ lasts the week, thinking about the number of other key marginals are in that outer London doughnut.
Reply 37
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I'll be surprised if ULEZ lasts the week, thinking about the number of other key marginals are in that outer London doughnut.

Agreed. But then you just look weak.
Original post by DSilva
I suspect they will go big against Labours 'green agenda' (to the extent it still exists) and try to use it as a wedge issue.

My worry though is that it will mean Labour basically u turn on every green issue and become even more cautious. Throughout the by election there was no attempt by Labour to defend Ulez or make the case for it. They accepted the Tories framing that it was bad from the start.

I'm inclined to agree. The Conservatives have nothing else to turn to aside from culture wars and identity politics, the ULEZ might be the wedge issue they work with.

Will be interesting to see Dorris' by-election and how that goes down.
Reply 39
I'm inclined to agree. The Conservatives have nothing else to turn to aside from culture wars and identity politics, the ULEZ might be the wedge issue they work with.

Will be interesting to see Dorris' by-election and how that goes down.

Labour should have been arguing in favour of the benefits of ULEZ. They should also have been making clear that it won't affect 90% of car users in outer London. Instead they just shuffled their feet and started to backtrack.

It's my fear with the Labour leadership. That they will backpedal as soon as there's any backlash to a progressive policy.

It's also unarguable that Labour's lead in the polls is almost entirely down to the Tories' failures. Labour aren't offering any real optimistic or bold offerings - it's just kind of 'we'll be a bit more competent". The problem is that if the economy improves before the next election, that Labour's lead will start to be gobbled up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending