The Student Room Group

commuting 2 hours for uni?

Ok so the title sounds a bit extreme but I think it could work in theory. I’m planning on doing a master's with a foundation year which will take 5 years in total and my family is (understandably) a bit upset that I want to be away from home for such a long time. I'm from a conservative family lol. With commitments at home and having a 2 yr old sister who I occasionally babysit it feels a bit odd moving out for so long. Also the additional 10k student debt that will add up each yr is not worth it in the long run if I can just commute.

For the first yr I think I want to move out so I understand my course timetable, make friends, maybe join some societies but for the few years after I want to commute. I’m planning on getting a student railcard so I can get 1/3 off on my train tickets and I’m learning how to drive so I’ll also have the option to drive to lectures and back if the train thing gets tough (or vice versa).

Also, I met someone who lives in the next city to my chosen university and she spends 2 hours commuting by bus which has been working out for her so it shouldn’t be too different from my situation.

My issue is will this make me miss out on hanging out with friends, getting a job alongside uni, make me tired/unmotivated to study? Also if I decide to change my mind and want to get accom and student finance support say in the harder final years will this be an issue?

Apologies for how long-winded that got.
Hi!

Thank you for your question. The first thing that came to my mind was that it is good to try first what works best for you. If you are planning to stay near your uni the first year, try that and then try to commute and see if it will work out. We cannot really plan that much ahead, 5 years is a long time. With commuting, you might get tired and demotivated, but if it works for your friend, it might work for you.

Cannot wait to hear what will work best for you.

Good luck.

Lucie,
PhD student
Cranfield university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending