The Student Room Group

Commuting to London every day - doable?

Hello,

My closest uni is in London and I'm in Hertforshire, it would be about 3h journey every day in total. I'm wondering if anyone is doing this, I'm worried about train delays and being late to class and also being extremely tired from the commuting!

Any feedback appreciated x
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

My closest uni is in London and I'm in Hertforshire, it would be about 3h journey every day in total. I'm wondering if anyone is doing this, I'm worried about train delays and being late to class and also being extremely tired from the commuting!

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Surely your "closest" university is Hertfordshire?
Reply 2
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

Commuting was a huge drain on my energy and time during my university days. It felt like I was constantly racing against the clock and missing out on student life. However, once I moved closer to campus, everything changed. I had more time for studies, friends, and activities. The shift wasn't just about proximity—it genuinely improved my overall university experience. This is just my personal take on it and everyones experience is different.

Hope this helps :smile:
(Assuming 90min journey one-way) It’s doable, and I know people who have done this, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend it. It’s more something people do if they have no other options rather then a sensible way to live.

It’s worth noting your journey will inevitably be more like 2 hours as you’ll need to accommodate either natural journey timetable variation & delays or account for traffic & parking. You’ll also have to manage a potentially awkward timetable including late nights in libraries etc.

You also need to accept not having a student life, or all the offerings of the students union (these typically happen evenings & weekends).
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

No way no no no no thats 6 hours a day travelling that could extend your days from 9 hours to 15 hours it’s totally possible for lectures to finish at 8 at night (I had one)so you’ll be back home by 10 you won’t have time to study you can work on the train sure but you can’t do proper work on a train (especially if you need to change trains) and how much will that 3 hour train journey cost you I know. London can be expensive but damn. You are correct to be worried about train delays and being tired from travelling because that will be a factor and a huge issue for you. Go and get hall’s it’s a far better option for so many reasons not just the one I put on here.
Reply 5
Thanks all for your replies. I have a child and a mortgage so I have to live in Hertfordshire. My closest uni for the degree I chose is located in London so it has to be that one. I also don't need to have a student life, just need to show up in time to class! Thanks all 😃
Original post by Yugafix
Thanks all for your replies. I have a child and a mortgage so I have to live in Hertfordshire. My closest uni for the degree I chose is located in London so it has to be that one. I also don't need to have a student life, just need to show up in time to class! Thanks all 😃

Hey, what uni is it? and are you able to travel to Hatfield/is it close to you? Hatfield to kings cross is around 30 mins, then from kings cross to whichever uni it might not be long if you can get the tube or bus
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

Why don’t you go Hertfordshire???
Original post by Yugafix

I hate to break it to you but unless you are able to move closer I would put uni on the back burner right now 3 hours will just burn you out.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Why don’t you go Hertfordshire???

Vvv

Original post by Yugafix
Original post by Talkative Toad
Vvv

I mean the only commuting route is possibly by train you’d need to consider the 16-25 and be aware of frequent rail strikes
Original post by Mohammed_80
I mean the only commuting route is possibly by train you’d need to consider the 16-25 and be aware of frequent rail strikes

Yeah or engineering works.

I personally spent 1 hour each way to get to school in sixth form and I just sucked it up and did it despite my complaints about it.

I refused to the same thing again though so I decided to screw it and say, we’re not doing this again, get accommodation.

Honestly depends on the person, what course they are doing, their situation etc. If the OP can do then fair play I personally wouldn’t do it again (for education/uni, work is a different story).
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

Hello @Yugafix

With the current situation in the UK, with all the rail strikes and train delays, it would probably make your journey even worse into London than a typical 3 hour commute. I would say try and find a closer university. You're in Hertfordshire, correct? I live in Bedfordshire when I'm not at university and there are plenty of unis to go around if you look. I get the journey time though because it's usually an hour to an hour and a half each way to commute to London from Bedford Station. With rail strikes that really inflates the commuter times as well.

I wouldn't say it's impossible depending on what part of Hertfordshire you're from to commute every day, but it would be a challenge if you're in the more northern parts of the county. If there are any other universities that would make travel easier that offer what you want to do I would implore you to research them as well!

Hope this helps,
Dom
Reply 13
I know there are universities in Hertfordshire, however the degree I chose is only offered in London! :smile: thanks guys
Reply 14
Not the best idea. My Uni was only around an hours commute each way, and I still chose to stay in campus accommodation. It made life easier and allowed me to focus my energy on studying. A 6 hour daily commute will leave you exhausted.

I’ve left Uni and work in central London now, it’s a 2 hour commute each way. I only travel to the office once a week and it still tires me out. 3 hours each way every day does not sound manageable.
Original post by Yugafix
I know there are universities in Hertfordshire, however the degree I chose is only offered in London! :smile: thanks guys

Have you looked at the OU - seriously this is NOT sensible with a child to factor in.
Reply 16
Original post by Yugafix
Hello,

Hmmmm 3 hours you say, whereabouts are you based in Hertforshire? I will be doing the same except I'm based in Bedfordshire and will be going to Uni in Central London as a mature student. The time it takes me will be 2 hours each way. I think I might have only 3 lectures in a week through my course though. As others have said train strikes would be a bit of a pain and hassle but if you plan ahead or explain to your tutors which days that will affect you travelling I'm sure they can accommodate you. It really depends on if you find travelling to London everyday tiring. I'm going to try it as my course is based there and I've been to London quite a few times in my spare time so I know how to go about the place.
(edited 8 months ago)
Not worth it, you are highly likely to fail as it spends way too much time.
Commuting would just be tiring and first yr uni would be more enjoyable without the stress of commuting everyday.
Reply 19
Which course? I think that makes a lot of difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending