The Student Room Group

--
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
If only half your year group aren’t talking to you then talk to the other half

Why exactly can’t you walk around school by yourself?
Reply 2
Just get new friends from the remaining half, and try not show them its affecting you.
Reply 3
Original post by Yup2378
Yikes. So basically, I had a fallout with my friends quite recently. The situation was : we were all talking bad about this one girl who we hanged out with sometimes. Anyways I came clean and told the girl we were talking about her. So my friends got mad and told people in my year group who ive ever talked bad about ( not including the parts when they joined in ) . So half my year group really arent fond of me. Yeah it's my fault and whatnot and i get whatever comes to me, but the only issue is now i have no one. Like legit no one. I cant walk around school by myself. What do i do at lunch?

Go library?
Reply 4
Original post by Yup2378
Yikes. So basically, I had a fallout with my friends quite recently. The situation was : we were all talking bad about this one girl who we hanged out with sometimes. Anyways I came clean and told the girl we were talking about her. So my friends got mad and told people in my year group who ive ever talked bad about ( not including the parts when they joined in ) . So half my year group really arent fond of me. Yeah it's my fault and whatnot and i get whatever comes to me, but the only issue is now i have no one. Like legit no one. I cant walk around school by myself. What do i do at lunch?

i mean fair enough they hate you why did you do that lol
that's literally what the worst type of people do
Original post by Anonymous
i mean fair enough they hate you why did you do that lol
that's literally what the worst type of people do

The worst type of person is the one who backchats everybody for their own amusement and scapegoats others instead of taking responsibility when it comes out. It's not hard to just let people exist.
Original post by SagaciousSag
The worst type of person is the one who backchats everybody for their own amusement and scapegoats others instead of taking responsibility when it comes out. It's not hard to just let people exist.

I mean it's still OP's fault. You can't just talk smack about half the year group and expect a redemption when you come clean to one girl.
Original post by toxicgamage56
I mean it's still OP's fault. You can't just talk smack about half the year group and expect a redemption when you come clean to one girl.

OP did do it, so it is a consequence of their actions, but OP had to have been talking with somebody.

It's inappropriate for them to receive all of the blame and ill-treatment for a collective action after understanding that it was wrong and attempting to rectify it, and it was certainly disrespectful that OP's friends caused OP to receive a disproportionate amount of pushback because they didn't want to change their ways.
Original post by Yup2378

Some people will move on from it eventually, whether good or bad. As for now, I'd say spend more time in the library and any other designated study areas when you're in school. At lunch, you might be able to stay in the canteen and go on your phone instead if phones are allowed inside. With time, people will soften towards you and you'll be able to make friends with another group.
Original post by Yup2378

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time with your friends. It can be tough when relationships break down and you feel alone. However, there are steps you can take to improve the situation. It might be helpful to reach out to other people in your year group or school and try to connect with them. Joining clubs or activities that interest you can also be a great way to meet new people. Additionally, consider talking to a teacher or school counsellor who can provide guidance and support. Remember, friendships can change and evolve, and it's possible to make new connections.

Don't listen to the people who are putting all the blame on you, there are people who are equally responsible. Besides, school friends are almost always temporary, you just have to get through this part of your life and not care about the people who dislike you. Letting them get to your head just keeps you from developing yourself and moving forward. As long as you are aware of your mistake and you are genuinely sorry, all you can do is move forward and be the better person in the situation as cliché as that sounds. Take care of yourself and be open to the possibilities ahead.
Original post by SagaciousSag
OP did do it, so it is a consequence of their actions, but OP had to have been talking with somebody.

It's inappropriate for them to receive all of the blame and ill-treatment for a collective action after understanding that it was wrong and attempting to rectify it, and it was certainly disrespectful that OP's friends caused OP to receive a disproportionate amount of pushback because they didn't want to change their ways.

i never really understand why people think talking about someone is such a bad thing. if everyone collectively agrees that someone is annoying and they don't like them, why is it so bad to express your frustrations with friends? esp because in this instance the people talking never expected the person they were talking about to find out - so its completely harmless, EXCEPT when someone like OP breaks that trust and hurts the person being talked about by informing them of the conversation.
Original post by Anonymous
i never really understand why people think talking about someone is such a bad thing. if everyone collectively agrees that someone is annoying and they don't like them, why is it so bad to express your frustrations with friends? esp because in this instance the people talking never expected the person they were talking about to find out - so its completely harmless, EXCEPT when someone like OP breaks that trust and hurts the person being talked about by informing them of the conversation.

OP said that they hung out with that person sometimes. It doesn't make sense to spend time with somebody only to go and disparage that person behind their back. That's what fake friends are.

Although it may seem harmless to the people doing it, it is highly damaging to your trust and self esteem to discover that people who you believed were your friends think and frequently speak negatively about you, as you stated, and most of the time, conversations aren't as private as you think. It is more dignified for both parties to go out and tell the person yourself about what you have done as opposed to the person overhearing a conversation or somebody else telling them about it.

If someone is annoying and you don't like them, avoid them. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable or rubs you the wrong way because of how they affect you personally, tell them. If you're worried about being rude or disrespectful, you already are being more disrespectful by continuously talking about that person behind their back. With backchatting, you just "express your frustrations" without solving the problem.

If someone gets an isolation or someone wins some sort of award, it's not necessarily bad to talk about that person in passing. However, if you regularly congregate to insult someone that you pretend to be friends with under the assumption that they will never find out, that is a very high level of disrespect, and that's why it is wrong to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending