The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've failed my GCSE's my parents constantly put pressure on me and wanted me to do A levels business but I can't now and they screamed and shouted at me when they saw my results and said I'm bloody useless and thick. What do I do now?

I'm sorry to hear this, what results did you get. Do you feel like you will be able to cope with Alevels, maybe try your college and talk to them. If not there is Btec courses and T-levels
I've failed my GCSE's my parents constantly put pressure on me and wanted me to do A levels business but I can't now and they screamed and shouted at me when they saw my results and said I'm bloody useless and thick. What do I do now?

what does fail mean?like a U or 1-3?There is no reason why 1 failure can define you and retakes are not uncommon.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Agh I hate names
what does fail mean?like a U or 1-3?There is no reason why 1 failure can define you and retakes are not uncommon.

I got a U in two exams and very low in the rest
Ahhh!Can I ask you for a reason as to your grades?If you are struggling in class why don't you contact your teachers and see how you can plan your academic future.If it is due to exam stress then I suggest that you rethink what you did during the 2 years of GCSE and tried to find the gaps.(Trust me I was stressed out too ) What helped me is that I started thinking about ways that i can improve , i left the past to the past and focused on how to change for the better. Afterall, you can't change the past.
Reply 5
Original post by Agh I hate names
Ahhh!Can I ask you for a reason as to your grades?If you are struggling in class why don't you contact your teachers and see how you can plan your academic future.If it is due to exam stress then I suggest that you rethink what you did during the 2 years of GCSE and tried to find the gaps.(Trust me I was stressed out too ) What helped me is that I started thinking about ways that i can improve , i left the past to the past and focused on how to change for the better. Afterall, you can't change the past.

I just don't cope with exams
Do you not deal with the environment of an exam well?If so one tip that my dad taught me is to imagine that you are not in an exam but in a isolated room , with all the time in the world.The night before the exam just imagine your paper and flipping it page by page without worries.
Reply 7

Do you know what you want to do in the future, we can take it from that perspective to decide a course maybe a Btec which is more coursework related and then choose a course, which dosen't have as many exams
Reply 8
Original post by UserM09
Do you know what you want to do in the future, we can take it from that perspective to decide a course maybe a Btec which is more coursework related and then choose a course, which dosen't have as many exams

I actually don't know my parents were trying to push me into business
I actually don't know my parents were trying to push me into business

maybe they think it is reliable??
Reply 10

You shouldn't be rude to them as that will likely only make things worse but if you aren't interested in business you shouldn't take it. A levels are A LOT of effort and will be almost impossible to do well in if you aren't interested in the subject. If you like studying then you should carry on and potentially look at routes which are more coursework focused than exam focused. However, if you aren't interested in academics you can also look into apprenticeships and the like.

It will be easier to talk to your parents if you have looked into alternatives. As in, "I'd like to do this instead of business" as opposed to "I don't want to do business".
Reply 11
I wanted to do drama but my parents yelled at me and said that wouldn't earn me any money, I mean they are rich themselves so why they think I need a rich job at the end

you sat the exams, unless something happened which made u do really bad u obviously didnt bother revising so what do u expect? its ur fault and take some responsibility seeing you sat the exams mate

Sorry about this.

Realistically, you're going to have to re-take your GCSE's if you want to get anywhere in life. At the very least you need a 1/2 decent grade in Maths and English language.

In which case, I'd suggest you look around colleges, 6th forms etc. with syllabuses based on Coursework, assignments etc. Even if there's an exam at the end, it's good to get at least some of the marks "in the bag" before the big day.

If, however, it's not possible to find anywhere, then you should remember there's a HUUGE difference between knowing a subject, and passing an exam, I'll explain:-

With most examination boards, they rarely change the structure / format of the questions (it's too much work for them lol). A lot of the time it's basically re-wording the questions in a slightly new way.... so you just need to learn that format, and you should be OK in future. Most teachers will be happy to help you out with the right answers if you're proactive and ask them for help.

The other thing is make sure you allocate a sensible amount of time for each question, and make sure you answer ALL parts of the question. Typically, the first 30-40% is very easy to get next 20-30% you have to think a bit and work things out and that top few percent is what the experts get. That way if you find you're having to think too much about one part of a question, then leave it... get the easy parts of the next question and by all means go back to it if you've got time. It also helps to write down your thoughts... even if it's random brainstorming, you'll be surprised what you can pick up.
I wanted to do drama but my parents yelled at me and said that wouldn't earn me any money, I mean they are rich themselves so why they think I need a rich job at the end

Maybe they want you to be independent and stand on your own two feet?

Besides, they won't be around for ever, you know.

Have you tried "selling" drama to them, by describing the kind of work / earning opportunities you may get from this?
(edited 8 months ago)

is there any colleges that can take you in? tell your parents that a business degree at university does not require a level business at all, at the end of the day they should not say that you but it might be in spite of the moment...sit down with them and discuss university and what a levels you will need and maybe ask for one of them to be a level drama if there is one offered. also trust me most people get better grades at the end of a levels than gcses because they actually put the effort in no one will really bother that much with gcses as its multiple subjects and so many exams so try and explain this to them and I hope you're okay dont be angry with yourself the universe has a plan even though it sounds so cliche
Reply 16

its ok
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Maybe they want you to be independent and stand on your own two feet?

Besides, they won't be around for ever, you know.

Have you tried "selling" drama to them, by describing the kind of work / earning opportunities you may get from this?

I know I am not them but selling to them sometimes don’t work.They don’t really care if they are really stubborn

Then that is what you go do. There's no telling what will or won't work out for somebody but you've only got one life. Do you want to look back many years from now, perhaps decades later and say, 'I wish I gave drama a go when I left School'. If you try it and it doesn't work out at least you tried and can put that one to bed and move on. No saying it wouldn't work out and there are all sorts of lucrative TV stuff around that pays exceeding well. Not saying it will be something you will get but who knows if you don't try.

As far as academic stuff goes it's not your bag, but that's ok many people get on perfectly well without it. Honestly unless you excell at Maths, Science, Tech, particularly Maths then most other academic stuff is swamped with people, so many can do that other academic stuff that it's virtually meaningless. So many people being capable means high skill being rewarded with low pay, that's a bad deal to be in, a lot of work for low pay.

Up to you what you do from here but that is what I would suggest you look at.
Best thing to do is try to see if a college or sixthform will let you retake your gcses , maths English and science should be free plus you may be able to retake other subjects / you can do them privately with a local school / sixthform when students are retaking you will have to contact them soon as possible.

You shouldn't have to pay to do your alevels when you pass your gcses , alternatives would be tlevels or btec most universities will take consider you if you have 4 to 5 gcses some even 3

I failed my gcses managed to retake them get my a levels and I'm now applying next year for Kent, Surrey, uea and Essex.

Latest

Trending

Trending