The Student Room Group

How has humanity progressed as a result of the widespread use of social media? Curre

Hello all, hope you're doing well. I'm a current Student at Harvard University.. ask me anything!

I'm currently conducting my research on how the 21st century used internet and social connections to excel and progress. So i'm basically here to listen to opinions. you can start off by answering this question if it's not a bother!

What notable ways do you believe humanity has progressed as a result of the widespread use of social media and the internet, particularly from your perspective as a student?
Reply 1
What's it like living in Massachusetts?
Original post by aboola
Hello all, hope you're doing well.
I'm currently conducting my research on how the 21st century used internet and social connections to excel and progress. So i'm basically here to listen to opinions. you can start off by answering this question if it's not a bother!

What notable ways do you believe humanity has progressed as a result of the widespread use of social media and the internet, particularly from your perspective as a student?

I feel it's definitely connected us more to people we would never have met, but also estranged us from the people close to us a little more. I find myself using my phone to talk to people when I could very easily visit them in-person, but at the same time get to talk with so many more people who share my interests than if I'd never had access to social media.

Not to pry, but I was wondering what your take on Harvard's legacy admissions is as a current student. Thanks in advance!
Reply 3
How many people get financial aid in Harvard?
Reply 4
Original post by aboola
Hello all, hope you're doing well.

Hi, I'm doing well thanks, hope you are too.
I'm a sixth form student in the UK, which I think is the equivalent of the second to last year of high school (I'm not 100% sure though), anyway this is my opinion.
I honestly think that social media and the internet is not progressing in the right direction.
However, it is clear and true that we have been able to learn things from the internet and spread messages such as the news that younger people would not have seen otheriwse. I guess I just have an issue with people on social media platforms who use their accounts as a way to create new problems and in a way show off their misinformation. With the rise of apps like tik tok there has also been an increase in debates related to racism, sexualities, social conduct (people willing to record themsleves recording a crime just to get ), etc.
That sounds all negative but all these platforms did have their golden age at some point. They help us connect with people you never thought you would connect with. People can get jobs from these apps and find themseleves new interests which will help them get a lead for their future.
The internet is far too big for me ti talk about my whole opinion on it but overall it has come a long way and is mostly benefitting people, it's just that not all people are good and not all people should be granted access on it.

On another note, a notable way which us humans have progressed through in terms of the internet and social media is adertisment. I don't think we take this into account really. But ads have been evolving for us slow humans to buy their products. The amount of psychological analysis put into aderts to make sure that they attract the target audience, show good pricing strategies, take into account location, demographic of customers, brand reputation is insane. I am a business marketing (and finance) student so I know a bit about this. A clear example of evolving ideas in ads is youtube. 5 second ads because they know your attention span isn't long but they still want to steal your attention in a way that wont waste your time? Sold. Personalised ads that fit your interest because they want you to buy from their sponsors? Sold.
I guess I really like this evolution I have witnessed within this sector since I actually enjoy business marketing.
This is only just a bit of food for thought. Keeping up with the trends you can never keep track of in this day and age must be getting more difficult for brands. E.g. having more inclusive models such as shorter women, plus size models, different races etc. Changing up classical roles in the cinematic world too (I'm sure you've heard of the new snow white movie they were trying to release which strayed faaar from the original) this type of adertising is bound to get attention and mixed feelings from people who want a change up from the normal movies we see and those who want classics to remain classics. But oh well as long as more people are talking about their product.
This is quite long and perhaps late too.
I'm not sure how far that answers your question. Hope your studies go well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending