The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry HELP

Hi guys!
I have a little confusion in the topic of polarisation of ions.In my book,they gave the factors that increase the polarisation:
1)The smaller size of cations and the greater charge on cations
2)The larger size and the greater charge of anions.
At the same page,they had written that,an anion of a with a large charge and a SMALL size are polarised most easily.
I find it contradictory.I went through several other articles and sources,and found that,the anions with A GREATER CHARGE and a LARGER SIZE are polarised most easily.
Did I fail to understand any point,or the book had written it wrong?
Forgive me if I come off patronising, i'm just using logic to try figure this out:
Cation is positive charge, anion is negative charge
Electrons attracted to positive cation and repelled by negative anion
To be more polarise more electrons need to be around cation
So anion with larger size and charge polarises more easily (as it repels more electrons)... the textbook is wrong
Reply 2
So i think what its talking about is this :
Caytions gain electorns hence eed to eb smaller so greater nculear attraction form the nuclues of the cation to the electorn ebing accepted
larger the ANION , the easier it is to lose an electron to be passed onto the CATION and the greater the negative charge of the ANION the easier it is to lose that leectorn tot he CATION

so the larger tha anion and the greater the charge the stornger its polarising effect on the cation I think...
Reply 3
wait what board r u doing
Reply 4
According to Fajans' rules:
- Anions with a large size and high charge are more easily polarised
- Cations with a small size and high charge have higher polarising power

Therefore that example in your textbook is most likely a mistake.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by IkhanFS
wait what board r u doing

I'm doing Edexcel
Reply 6
Original post by Methene
According to Fajans' rules:
- Anions with a large size and high charge are more easily polarised
- Cations with a small size and high charge have higher polarising power

Therefore that example in your textbook is most likely a mistake.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for the clarification! I too think that it is likely a mistake;these small mistakes sometimes makes people vigorously scratching their heads!
Reply 7
Original post by toothysmile
Forgive me if I come off patronising, i'm just using logic to try figure this out:
Cation is positive charge, anion is negative charge
Electrons attracted to positive cation and repelled by negative anion
To be more polarise more electrons need to be around cation
So anion with larger size and charge polarises more easily (as it repels more electrons)... the textbook is wrong

Exactly.I'd been using similar logic,and I believe the textbook is wrong too.
Reply 8
Original post by IkhanFS
So i think what its talking about is this :
Caytions gain electorns hence eed to eb smaller so greater nculear attraction form the nuclues of the cation to the electorn ebing accepted
larger the ANION , the easier it is to lose an electron to be passed onto the CATION and the greater the negative charge of the ANION the easier it is to lose that leectorn tot he CATION

so the larger tha anion and the greater the charge the stornger its polarising effect on the cation I think...

Yess.Exactly.That's what I was wondering too!

Quick Reply

Latest