The Student Room Group

A Level Choices Help (Aqa Physics V Chemistry)

I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and either Chemistry or Physics for A-levels but can’t decide which. At GCSE I feel like I enjoyed Chemistry more and was slightly better at it (despite getting the same grade in Physics) and I like the look of the Physical and Inorganic Chemistry at A-level however I’m not so sure about the organic chemistry.

AQA physics a level looks mostly new stuff and I really like maths and have been told that Physics is much more maths heavy and about applying mathematical concepts however I’m worried that it won’t be interesting to me.

At Uni I want to take a maths degree but I just can’t decide between them and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: It’s AQA for both a level physics and chem at my sixth form
Original post by Username2727
I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and either Chemistry or Physics for A-levels but can’t decide which. At GCSE I feel like I enjoyed Chemistry more and was slightly better at it (despite getting the same grade in Physics) and I like the look of the Physical and Inorganic Chemistry at A-level however I’m not so sure about the organic chemistry.

AQA physics a level looks mostly new stuff and I really like maths and have been told that Physics is much more maths heavy and about applying mathematical concepts however I’m worried that it won’t be interesting to me.

At Uni I want to take a maths degree but I just can’t decide between them and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You seem a lot more interested in chemistry
Original post by Username2727

Hi @Username2727,

I can understand your dilemma. Both chemistry and physics are great subjects, and it can be difficult to choose between them.

Personally, it sounds like you enjoyed chemistry more at GCSE, which is already a great sign! I took physics at A-level, and I absolutely loved it. However, I did also wish I had taken chemistry, since I've also loved that subject and it sounded really interesting to me whilst I was taking physics.

Ultimately, the best way to decide is to think about what you want to do after A-levels. If you're sure that you want to study maths at university, then either chemistry or physics would be a good choice. However, if you're not sure, then I would recommend taking chemistry.

Chemistry, and I do hate to say it since I love physics, is probably a more versatile subject than physics, and it will give you a broader foundation in science. It will also be more relevant to many different areas of maths, such as statistics and probability.

Of course, at the end of the day, you can always change your mind later on. If you start studying chemistry and find that you're not enjoying it, you can always switch to physics. Plus, I've found that Youtube videos on physics tend to be more understandable than those on chemistry, so you can always find more resources for your curious brain there!

I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Username2727,

I can understand your dilemma. Both chemistry and physics are great subjects, and it can be difficult to choose between them.

Personally, it sounds like you enjoyed chemistry more at GCSE, which is already a great sign! I took physics at A-level, and I absolutely loved it. However, I did also wish I had taken chemistry, since I've also loved that subject and it sounded really interesting to me whilst I was taking physics.

Ultimately, the best way to decide is to think about what you want to do after A-levels. If you're sure that you want to study maths at university, then either chemistry or physics would be a good choice. However, if you're not sure, then I would recommend taking chemistry.

Chemistry, and I do hate to say it since I love physics, is probably a more versatile subject than physics, and it will give you a broader foundation in science. It will also be more relevant to many different areas of maths, such as statistics and probability.

Of course, at the end of the day, you can always change your mind later on. If you start studying chemistry and find that you're not enjoying it, you can always switch to physics. Plus, I've found that Youtube videos on physics tend to be more understandable than those on chemistry, so you can always find more resources for your curious brain there!

I hope this helps!

Thanks this is really helpful. I definitely enjoyed Chemistry more at GCSE and originally was sure on picking it. But I also have a great passion for Maths which I’ve heard is very core in A level physics and I’m worried that due to what looks like a lot of different topics at A level than GCSE that would help me enjoy A level physics more which is what created this dilemma.

Quick Reply

Latest