The Student Room Group

(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by anonymous1234234
I'm having a gap year halfway through completing uni (going into third year) in September and was wondering if it's possible to do a 1 year HSC at college/a college course and be funded by student finance during the gap year?

Hi there, Is this a HESC? Thanks, Angela
Original post by Angela SFE

(edited 9 months ago)
Hi, sorry I meant a HNC (higher national certificate) course at a college, I was wondering if I can get the course funded by student finance as I'm in a gap year from my university and was wanting to do a college course, and will be returning to my uni course in 2024/25.

(edited 9 months ago)
The course will be full time and for 1 year

Hi there, Due to you already having 2 years of previous study you would not be eligible to receive funding for the HNC Course. As we would calculate as follows- New course 1 year plus 1 additional year = 2 minus any previous study - 2 years - entitlement remaining 0. Thanks, Angela
Hi there, Due to you already having 2 years of previous study you would not be eligible to receive funding for the HNC Course. As we would calculate as follows- New course 1 year plus 1 additional year = 2 minus any previous study - 2 years - entitlement remaining 0. Thanks, Angela

(edited 9 months ago)
Sorry I don't understand that, can you explain again? At the moment I have 2 years of uni, I'm taking the college hnc course for 1 year and then returning back to uni in 2024. So surely that's 4 years of funding which you cover? As you get maximum 4 years funding from student finance.

So in total 3 years uni and 1 year HNC course = 4 years total funding.

Hi there, The calculation would be based on the new 1 year course only - so 1 year plus an additional year would equal 2. Then we would minus any previous study which would then advise remaining years available. This would be none as you have already received funding for 2 years of previous study. Thanks, Angela
Hi there, The calculation would be based on the new 1 year course only - so 1 year plus an additional year would equal 2. Then we would minus any previous study which would then advise remaining years available. This would be none as you have already received funding for 2 years of previous study. Thanks, Angela

(edited 9 months ago)
I'm sorry I really don't understand this. Surely I can have funding for 2023/24 for the 1 year course as I would have 1 year left of funding?

I have had 2 years of funding already, and then if I get funding for my final year at university in 2024/25, I would have 1 year left of funding for the 1 year course in 2023/24?

Hi there, As advised this is not how we calculate previous study when assessing for funding for a new course. Thanks, Angela
Hi there, As advised this is not how we calculate previous study when assessing for funding for a new course. Thanks, Angela

(edited 9 months ago)
It says on the student finance website that if you have suspended your studies (which I have in 2023/24), you are eligible to be funded for any course.

Hi there, We still into account any previous study which is then used in the calculation. Thanks, Angela
(Original post by Angela SFE)Hi there, We still into account any previous study which is then used in the calculation. Thanks, Angela

(edited 9 months ago)
(Original post by Angela SFE)Hi there, We still into account any previous study which is then used in the calculation. Thanks, Angela

Is this just for new college courses or any course? Like can I be funded for a open university course during my gap year?

This is for any new full time course. Thanks, Angela
The course will be full time and for 1 year

Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending