The Student Room Group

Mum refusing to do student finance application

So my mums been against me going to uni since I first brought it up, and kept either being really p****d off or trying to guilt me into not going. Well I’m definitely going (mostly to move out the house!!!!), but now it’s come to applying for student finance and she’s point blank refusing to have anything to do with it. I was thinking I could just fill out the form without telling her but I don’t know her NI number or anything. Any way of getting round this?
I’m not sure if you’ll be able to, but this is usually on payslips if you’re able to get access to any of hers? Reading online sounds like you may be capped at the minimum student loan if you can’t get this. I’m shocked she’s refusing, she should be happy you’re pushing yourself to go to university as it’s a big exciting life step, not trying to push you away from it and doing all in her power to prevent you.

One website says ‘To judge this, your parents are asked to provide details of their income on your application. If your parents refuse to provide details about their income on your student finance application, you'll only be able to apply for the minimum, non-means-tested student finance package.’

I would suggest talking to student finance and explaining your situation to get further answers.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
So my mums been against me going to uni since I first brought it up, and kept either being really p****d off or trying to guilt me into not going. Well I’m definitely going (mostly to move out the house!!!!), but now it’s come to applying for student finance and she’s point blank refusing to have anything to do with it. I was thinking I could just fill out the form without telling her but I don’t know her NI number or anything. Any way of getting round this?

I’m definitely sure the student finance already has guidance about this on their website when you log in it’s under questions
Original post by Kiki_3
I’m definitely sure the student finance already has guidance about this on their website when you log in it’s under questions

Hi there,

Has your Mum changed her mind, or do you think that's unlikely to happen? Is your Dad okay to support your application, if that's possible?

Thanks, Graeme
Hi,

I would suggest talking to SFE, about this. They may be able to suggest other options on how to fill out the application.

Have you decided on, which university you want to go to? If so, I would recommend talking to the admissions/finance team by either giving them a call or attending an open day or decision day. They may have had similar situations with previous students, so might be able to recommend and suggest how to fill out the application.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Has your Mum changed her mind, or do you think that's unlikely to happen? Is your Dad okay to support your application, if that's possible?
Thanks, Graeme

If you can respond below and we can further advise. Thanks, Jason
Original post by Anonymous

I know this is an old post but I wanted to reassure you, you're not the only person in this situation. Contact student finance and your university of choice and they'll help guide you through the process. Good luck, Elizabeth
If you can respond below and we can advise further. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending