The Student Room Group

student finance: parents living and working abroad

Hi, I was applying to student finance for the first time and I'm confused on some things.

- in my application I told that my parents are living and working abroad while I am living in the UK. looking online for students in my scenario before I saw that my parents have to fill in something called the PFF2 form to submit their financial details. my first question is that are they 100% supposed to submit a PFF2 form?

- my second question is if they are done with the PFF2 form where and how are they supposed to submit the PFF2? they cant make a student finance account online.

-my third question is that my fathers pay slips contain sensitive information about his organization. are there alternative documents that he can submit as evidence for household income on the PFF2. neither my mother or I work by the way.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ronaldothegreay
Hi, I was applying to student finance for the first time and I'm confused on some things.

- in my application I told that my parents are living and working abroad while I am living in the UK. looking online for students in my scenario before I saw that my parents have to fill in something called the PFF2 form to submit their financial details. my first question is that are they 100% supposed to submit a PFF2 form?

- my second question is if they are done with the PFF2 form where and how are they supposed to submit the PFF2? they cant make a student finance account online.

-my third question is that my fathers pay slips contain sensitive information about his organization. are there alternative documents that he can submit as evidence for household income on the PFF2. neither my mother or I work by the way.

Hi there, If your parents live overseas they would need to complete the PFF2 form and would need to return this with evidence of their income.

The list of acceptable evidence is any of the following:
- Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)
- Accountant's letter
- Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)
- Week 53 Payslip
- Month 12 Payslip

Once this has been completed the form and the evidence can be uploaded onto your account or it can be returned via post for the team to review. You can find out how to upload evidence here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-DaFfDRc

Thanks, Karen
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, If your parents live overseas they would need to complete the PFF2 form and would need to return this with evidence of their income.

The list of acceptable evidence is any of the following:
- Letter from your employer (confirming salary for the tax year)
- Accountant's letter
- Self Assessment / P60 (or country equivalent)
- Week 53 Payslip
- Month 12 Payslip

Once this has been completed the form and the evidence can be uploaded onto your account or it can be returned via post for the team to review. You can find out how to upload evidence here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb-DaFfDRc

Thanks, Karen

thank you and sorry but one more question

student finance sent me an email saying they'll assess me as an independent student and asked me to submit a letter from an independent person on my account. This was under the condition my parents are unable to provide their income details. should I just instead submit PFF2 on my account? and how soon should I submit it.
thank you and sorry but one more question

student finance sent me an email saying they'll assess me as an independent student and asked me to submit a letter from an independent person on my account. This was under the condition my parents are unable to provide their income details. should I just instead submit PFF2 on my account? and how soon should I submit it.

If you have contact with your parents then they would complete the PFF2 form. I would advise to have this completed and sent as soon as possible for the team to review. Thanks, Karen
If you have contact with your parents then they would complete the PFF2 form. I would advise to have this completed and sent as soon as possible for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

thank you
thank you

You're welcome! If there is anything else we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks, Karen
Reply 6
You're welcome! If there is anything else we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks, Karen

Hi , i am currently in the same situation. I moved to UK in 2020 sept but my application got rejected because it hadnt been 3years of me living here but itll be 4 years now. I am a british national and moved from hong kong but my parents are living in hk and i am here alone so do i also complete the pff2 too, as my parents income wont be able to support me as my dad cant work due to work accident.
Original post by Raafaael
Hi , i am currently in the same situation. I moved to UK in 2020 sept but my application got rejected because it hadnt been 3years of me living here but itll be 4 years now. I am a british national and moved from hong kong but my parents are living in hk and i am here alone so do i also complete the pff2 too, as my parents income wont be able to support me as my dad cant work due to work accident.

Hi Raafaael,

If you're under 25 and not self supported for 3 years, then yes your parents would complete the PFF2 Form and send it back by post or upload on your account or there's (if they have one), along with their financial evidence mentioned above.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 8
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Raafaael,

If you're under 25 and not self supported for 3 years, then yes your parents would complete the PFF2 Form and send it back by post or upload on your account or there's (if they have one), along with their financial evidence mentioned above.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for clarification.
Do I have to provide evidence of me working as well because I did part time before and am working now in my gap but that won’t be enough to help me pay my fees as when I start uni, I won’t be doing full time or anythubg
Original post by Raafaael
Thank you for clarification.
Do I have to provide evidence of me working as well because I did part time before and am working now in my gap but that won’t be enough to help me pay my fees as when I start uni, I won’t be doing full time or anythubg

We only need to know if you have any unearned income. The application will ask you this when you apply.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 10
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Raafaael,

Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,

I had similar situation as Raafaael. What if I am over 25 and my parents are retired living aboard in hk?

Thanks,
Preston
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by plee08
Hi Claire,

I had similar situation as Raafaael. What if I am over 25 and my parents are retired living aboard in hk?

Thanks,
Preston
Hi there,

If you are over 25 then we would not need your parents to support you application. When did your course start and were you over 25 before the 1st day of the academic year?

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending