The Student Room Group

classwizz help

I am trying to learn further maths A level. I'm a mature person not in school so have no peers or teachers to ask. I'm currently trying to get to grips with the chapter on Matrices. I can use the classwizz for several things but cannot find how to use it get the Matrix of Cofactors nor the transposed version. I particularly want to use it for a non-singular matrix.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Original post by maggiehodgson
I am trying to learn further maths A level. I'm a mature person not in school so have no peers or teachers to ask. I'm currently trying to get to grips with the chapter on Matrices. I can use the classwizz for several things but cannot find how to use it get the Matrix of Cofactors nor the transposed version. I particularly want to use it for a non-singular matrix.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Hi @maggiehodgson,

It's SO COOL to hear that you're taking the initiative to learn further maths A level! I did GCSE Further maths so can only do basic matrices (without a calculator) unfortunately :frown:

However, you should definitely try to use either YouTube or Chat GPT to help.

Shaheer (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Useful website: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=352

Classwiz https://www.drfrostmaths.com/downloadables.php?rid=262
Reply 3

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Will classwizz work out determinants and inverses. If so, then the matrix of cofactors of an invertible matrix A equals

det(A) (A^T)^(-1)

where ^T denotes transpose and ^(-1) denotes inverse.

EDIT: never used classwizz but on the Mode 4 slide at

there seems to be the operations you need.
(edited 9 months ago)

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

From memory, classwizz or any calculator cannot give you the matrix of cofactors, since that's a step in finding the inverse of something like a 3x3. Similarly transposing a matrix, I have no idea how that can be done on a calculator, but it's just taking the rows in descending order and writing them out as columns in the same order, or taking the columns and writing them as the rows. The calculator may help with finding the cofactor matrix since you can calculate the determinants of 2x2, but usually, it's quicker in the head than to use a calculator for that, more practice helps.

Thanks

I'll try that today and if I have any luck I'll let you know.
Original post by RichE
Will classwizz work out determinants and inverses. If so, then the matrix of cofactors of an invertible matrix A equals

det(A) (A^T)^(-1)

Hi

Yes, clazzwizz can work out determinants and inverses. It won't do inverses of a singular matrix though. I've seen a solution to finding the geometric configuration of planes that requires the finding of the co-factors. I can do it by head but it's a bit tedious so I was hoping for a calculator method, Thanks for your input though I'm sure what you have told me will be put to use.
Original post by RichE

det(A) (A^T)^(-1)

H

I've just had a wizz (haha) through the ppt. I've learnt a couple of very interesting things like the CALC button and the approx= button. Sadly there is no info on cofactors. Also, you cant go A^-1 on a singular matrix. It was worth reading though so thanks again.
Reply 8
H

I've just had a wizz (haha) through the ppt. I've learnt a couple of very interesting things like the CALC button and the approx= button. Sadly there is no info on cofactors. Also, you cant go A^-1 on a singular matrix. It was worth reading though so thanks again.

I thought you said you wanted to do this for a non-singular matrix in your first post.

By the way, how big is the matrix you're working with.
Original post by RichE
I thought you said you wanted to do this for a non-singular matrix in your first post.

By the way, how big is the matrix you're working with.

Sorry I made a mistake meant singular. Still getting to grips with the terminology.

Quick Reply

Latest