The Student Room Group

Equivalent fraction with surds

Is 5√2-35/-47 the same as 35-5√2/47?
just trying to mark my work, and I got the first fraction, while the mark scheme says the second one "or equivalent"
Reply 1
Original post by Blackrose06
just trying to mark my work, and I got the first fraction, while the mark scheme says the second one "or equivalent"

Yes

If I’m reading them correctly (I’m reading them as (5√2 - 35)/(-47) and (35 - 5√2)/47, respectively), then they are the same.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
If I’m reading them correctly (I’m reading them as (5√2 - 35)/(-47) and (35 - 5√2)/47, respectively), then they are the same.

Yes, that is being read correctly.

Thanks.
Reply 4

If you're struggling to see it with the surd confusing things, just write the 2 fractions as (a - b)/(-c) and (b - a)/c, and convince yourself that they are equivalent :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
If you're struggling to see it with the surd confusing things, just write the 2 fractions as (a - b)/(-c) and (b - a)/c, and convince yourself that they are equivalent :smile:

Okay :biggrin:
Reply 6
Okay :biggrin:

Sometimes if you're struggling to see something "obvious" because there are surds involved, it can help to rewrite what you think is happening to convince yourself that it's actually true :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest