The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Question

Could someone please explain why for part (b) you can't just use your calculator to find the root? It just gives a decimal, but then when you find the root from the quadratic after dividing by the factor, it doesn't give a decimal but gives it in surd form. Why is that? Thanks.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Har6547
Could someone please explain why for part (b) you can't just use your calculator to find the root? It just gives a decimal, but then when you find the root from the quadratic after dividing by the factor, it doesn't give a decimal but gives it in surd form. Why is that? Thanks.

It asks for an exact answer. So a decimal would be an approximation of the irrational surd.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
It asks for an exact answer. So a decimal would be an approximation of the irrational surd.

Yes but solving the quadratic using my calculator gives it on exact surd form, whereas solving the cubic one gives it in decimal. So that’s why you have to divide by the (2x-1) factor. But why is that?
Reply 3
Original post by Har6547
Yes but solving the quadratic using my calculator gives it on exact surd form, whereas solving the cubic one gives it in decimal. So that’s why you have to divide by the (2x-1) factor. But why is that?

Could you post your working out so far?
Reply 4
Original post by Har6547

Are you asking why doesnt your calculator give an exact (surd) answer to a cubic? The question asks for all stages of algebra/working, so even if your calculator did give the root(s) it wouldnt gain the marks.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
Are you asking why doesnt your calculator give an exact (surd) answer to a cubic? The question asks for all stages of algebra/working, so even if your calculator did give the root(s) it wouldnt gain the marks.

Oh ok, so is it because you can only use the quadratic formula (which is what the calculator does) on a quadratic, and therefore that is why you need a quadratic? I just want to understand why you need to do that, so I can see to know to do it in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by Har6547
Oh ok, so is it because you can only use the quadratic formula (which is what the calculator does) on a quadratic, and therefore that is why you need a quadratic? I just want to understand why you need to do that, so I can see to know to do it in the future.

Post your working as per forum rules
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Post your working as per forum rules

Ok here it is
Reply 8
Original post by Har6547
Ok here it is

So what did you do with your calculator? Does it have a cubic solver?

You do know the factor theorem to get the factor? Then long division is not needed to get the quadratic ...
Reply 9
Original post by Har6547

At a level you deal with cubics and quartics, but you dont solve them directly. Instead you typically factorize (divide) one root from a cubic and the factor/root is easy to spot. Here its given as the root at x=1/2 corresponds to a factor (2x-1) which you can then divide into the cubic to get a quadratic which should be bread and butter. Similarly quartics are often hidden quadratics or at a push, you may be "given" two factors and do a similar operation to a cubic. At the end of the day though, you solve quadratics.

To do the division/factorization quickly, note that
(2x-1)(ax^2 + bx + c) = 2x^3 + 15x^2 - 42x + 17)
matching the cubic term gives
a=1
matching the constant term gives
c=-17
matching the quadratic term (or linear) term gives
2b-1=15, so b=8
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest