The Student Room Group

Chemistry lectures for personal statement

Hi, I’ve watched a few university chemistry lectures and they’ve all been quite hard for me to comprehend seeming as it is all uni content. Any ideas for other chemistry lectures that may be easier to gain something out of?
Original post by ilovechemistry69
Hi, I’ve watched a few university chemistry lectures and they’ve all been quite hard for me to comprehend seeming as it is all uni content. Any ideas for other chemistry lectures that may be easier to gain something out of?

You could argue that in not quite understanding the content of the lectures, it encouraged you to demonstrate some initiative and try to make sense of the material by doing some wider reading.

You don’t need lectures to mention in your personal statement, but they may still be really useful to bring up. Wider reading is the single most important thing you can bring up.
Original post by TypicalNerd
You could argue that in not quite understanding the content of the lectures, it encouraged you to demonstrate some initiative and try to make sense of the material by doing some wider reading.

You don’t need lectures to mention in your personal statement, but they may still be really useful to bring up. Wider reading is the single most important thing you can bring up.

Do you think it’s normal that I don’t understand the lectures? I have done some wider reading yes (I’ve read 2 different books) but I do have a few hundred characters left in my PS, so I thought that watching a chemistry lecture would ‘supposedly’ be a good idea.
Would you recommend anything else, apart from books? I’m sure why but annoyingly I always associate ‘wider reading’ with books
Do you think it’s normal that I don’t understand the lectures? I have done some wider reading yes (I’ve read 2 different books) but I do have a few hundred characters left in my PS, so I thought that watching a chemistry lecture would ‘supposedly’ be a good idea.
Would you recommend anything else, apart from books? I’m sure why but annoyingly I always associate ‘wider reading’ with books

Well of course it’s normal - it’s undergraduate material and you have only just finished year 12. You haven’t been taught a lot of the background knowledge, so naturally it won’t be completely accessible to you.

Which field of chemistry (e.g inorganic, organic, physical) is your favourite? Tailor any more supercurriculars towards your favourite field see what you can find. I’d recommend finding a YouTube channel (e.g Nile Red, Extractions & Ire, ThatChemist or NurdRage) that covers material you find especially interesting and explaining how their videos have expanded on what you’ve learnt at A level.

I personally did the Olympiad and mentored others in chemistry when I applied. These are also perfectly sensible things to try.
Well of course it’s normal - it’s undergraduate material and you have only just finished year 12. You haven’t been taught a lot of the background knowledge, so naturally it won’t be completely accessible to you.

Which field of chemistry (e.g inorganic, organic, physical) is your favourite? Tailor any more supercurriculars towards your favourite field see what you can find. I’d recommend finding a YouTube channel (e.g Nile Red, Extractions & Ire, ThatChemist or NurdRage) that covers material you find especially interesting and explaining how their videos have expanded on what you’ve learnt at A level.

I personally did the Olympiad and mentored others in chemistry when I applied. These are also perfectly sensible things to try.

Oh okay I was just making sure. Would be a tad bit concerning if other students in yr12 understood the lecture lol

and I’m fascinated by physical chemistry specifically.
thank you for those links, I highly appreciate it :smile:
Oh okay I was just making sure. Would be a tad bit concerning if other students in yr12 understood the lecture lol

and I’m fascinated by physical chemistry specifically.
thank you for those links, I highly appreciate it :smile:

I believe NurdRage is your best bet, as he does a fair bit of electrochemistry and has a video on some of his own research into kinetics, which I found really enlightening. You may wish to watch said video and talk about how it expands on your current understanding of kinetics and gives an insight as to how scientists draw conclusions from data.

I believe this is it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCIVTdXWQU
I believe NurdRage is your best bet, as he does a fair bit of electrochemistry and has a video on some of his own research into kinetics, which I found really enlightening. You may wish to watch said video and talk about how it expands on your current understanding of kinetics and gives an insight as to how scientists draw conclusions from data.

I believe this is it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCIVTdXWQU

Thank you for this. I’ll definitely give it a watch :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest