The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Intro to Optomtry at City University

Anyone taking the foundation year for optometry at City 2021?
Original post by sanxaa
Anyone taking the foundation year for optometry at City 2021?

Hi @sanxaa - A huge congratulations on your offer at City, University of London for Optometry! I am so pleased for you. 😊

I know many students who are studying optometry and all of them have said that they love it! We even have our own site at City, University of London where we can get eye check-ups from students in the subject.

Please try this site (just filter to optometry students and they will answer any questions you have about Optometry at City, University of London): https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/open-events-and-fairs/online-chats/ask-a-student

Wishing you all the best come results day and I hope to welcome you on campus in future! 😊

Best Regards,
Abida Ali
Official Economics Student Representative for City, University of London
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Yeeep me
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yeeep me

Hey, have you firmed?
Original post by sanxaa
Hey, have you firmed?

Hi , yes i have wbu?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi , yes i have wbu?

Yes,, :smile:
Reply 6
Hello, may I ask what subjects you all studied this year for the foundation course? I’m thinking of applying but I don’t do any of the sciences or maths, so don’t want to be the only one haha!
Reply 7
Original post by Omar_oa7
Hello, may I ask what subjects you all studied this year for the foundation course? I’m thinking of applying but I don’t do any of the sciences or maths, so don’t want to be the only one haha!

Hi,
I did A level biology and BTEC applied science.
You might find it hard at first as the course is quite science and maths related (you probably already know this), but that being said all of the material is new and all students in the course have different strengths and weaknesses. If you haven't done science or maths you can find people who have and just ask for help. The professors also put alot of resources for help. There is a module in Maths however, it isn't extremely hard and there are lectures that help with this module. In terms of science there is physics and biology with a bit of chemistry. Again this is all explained with lectures to help understanding. I believe that this foundation degree will benefit you immensely as it prepares you very well for the Bsc Optometry.
Reply 8
Hi, what are some things you wrote on your personal statement. Did you also apply to main optom course at city aswell? Also do you go straight in to first year optom after the foundation year or is there a process? So sorryy for all these questions, it’s so hard to find info about optometry at city, let alone the foundation year
Reply 9
Original post by spooky123
Hi, what are some things you wrote on your personal statement. Did you also apply to main optom course at city aswell? Also do you go straight in to first year optom after the foundation year or is there a process? So sorryy for all these questions, it’s so hard to find info about optometry at city, let alone the foundation year

Hi I would say to write a lot about how you have shown skills with the public and what you like the most about optometry. For me I wrote on the awareness of eye diseases and how it should be discussed more.

student room have a guide on personal statement structure which I actually found quite useful.

and yes I did apply for the main course I am in 2nd yr now. You apply through ucas again but it is a guaranteed offer if you achieve 65% and above in the modules overall.

good luck with everything.
Original post by sanxaa
Hi I would say to write a lot about how you have shown skills with the public and what you like the most about optometry. For me I wrote on the awareness of eye diseases and how it should be discussed more.

student room have a guide on personal statement structure which I actually found quite useful.

and yes I did apply for the main course I am in 2nd yr now. You apply through ucas again but it is a guaranteed offer if you achieve 65% and above in the modules overall.

good luck with everything.

Hi thank youu soo much for replying. How much physics and maths is there? Both in the foundation year and main course? And is it hard to get 65% in all modules?
It’s me again😭😭 what a level subjects did you do?
Reply 12
heyy
what grades did u get for ur alevels and which unis did u initially apply to
im deciding whether to do optom or not
and how r u finding it rn
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending