The Student Room Group

Personal Statement notes

I haven't started writing my personal statement yet but I have been keen to undertake some MOOCs. How do you think I should go about making notes on what I do in these so I can add it to my personal statement (what things should I write down and how).

The MOOC is based on a Chemistry topic fyi.
Original post by ax4
I haven't started writing my personal statement yet but I have been keen to undertake some MOOCs. How do you think I should go about making notes on what I do in these so I can add it to my personal statement (what things should I write down and how).

The MOOC is based on a Chemistry topic fyi.

The only thing you need to note down is anything that was of specific interest to you and how you intend to act on that interest. What are you going to do to pursue that further?

This is what would be best laid out in your personal statement. "I did a MOOC about X, I found Y fascinating so I did Z"
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
The only thing you need to note down is anything that was of specific interest to you and how you intend to act on that interest. What are you going to do to pursue that further?

This is what would be best laid out in your personal statement. "I did a MOOC about X, I found Y fascinating so I did Z"

Could you give some examples on what Z might be?
Original post by ax4
Could you give some examples on what Z might be?
Read a book, went to a public lecture, watch a documentary
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Read a book, went to a public lecture, watch a documentary

Ok, thank you very much this is very help!
full disclosure im a humanities student and idk anything about chemistry, but a personal statement is just why you want to study a subject further at uni. kind of needs to be like this:
I chose to do a MOOC on this topic because (it pushed you out your comfort zone? it was about a topic you heard about that wasn’t on the curriculum?)
I like this topic because (why do you like Chemistry? what is interesting about studying it to you?)
Why was doing this MOOC valuable? (what did you do? did you develop new skills? did it introduce you to other ideas or approaches?)

you’re right in recognising that just saying “I did a MOOC” isn’t that great. Answering “so what?” “why is it relevant?” is the important bit.

and as for notes, don’t think about your personal statement while doing it. when you finish, reflect on the most important, unique, specific thing you gained from the experience. Don’t be vague like “I developed valuable skills” - give an example and details of something ONLY this MOOC could have taught you.
Reply 6
agree with the showing that you took action based on the mooc but if you happened to not...
I found X topic interesting in college, and was keen to learn more, so took a MOOC in X in order to deepen my understanding. It was fascinating to learn about where the A level topic can lead and I was excited to learn that X also links to Y.
Taking actions based on experience is key and obviously going away to read a book is more impressive but you can almost always link stuff back to the curriculum and say that you took it because you liked a topic (and deeeeeefinitely not because it was the first course you found :wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending