The Student Room Group

Things I can do for economics course at uni without doing at a level

I never did economics at A-level but im doing it at Uni, is there anything that I can do now to prepare for the economics course in advance so im not just like in the dark? Anything helps!
Original post by nousername01
I never did economics at A-level but im doing it at Uni, is there anything that I can do now to prepare for the economics course in advance so im not just like in the dark? Anything helps!

It's funny that you say that. I do know of a list of books that I would recommend reading, but they tend to be for the undergrad level.

Whilst you can always read the material for A Level economics, the fact that a lot of the material at uni level would likely involve mathematical models and graphs a notch above A Level economics standard.

Depending on what specific books you would be using at degree level, I would recommend the following:

Pretty much any book on economics by Gregory Mankiw - a favourite amongst economics students

Basic Econometrics by Damodar Gujarati - econometrics is statistics for economics (don't ask why they call it that); this is probably the best book for the subject that I have come across and it's an easy read

Mathematics for Economics and Business by Ian Jacque - if you're rusty with your maths or want to see how the maths you learnt at A Level is applied, this is a good book to start off with; it covers some of the further maths material that you might need should you want to do the more mathematical modules

Schaum's Outline of Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Edward Dowling - a good book on pretty much most, if not all, of the maths you would need for a standard economics degree; you don't need to read all of it, but you can browse through some of the topics if interested. It's also cheaper than Jacque's book

Other Schaum's Outline books on economic topics - you should check out the contents of these books prior to buying since a lot of the material can overlap with the others

There are more mathematical books that you can look into, but you won't likely need them unless you're doing mathematical economics as a degree or module.

There are essentially 3 key areas of study/modules in any economics degree: macroeconomics (the economy), microeconomics (individual/firm level), and econometrics. Macroeconomics is something you are most likely going to comea cross the most often in the news, and it's not that particularly demanding. Microeconomics on the other hand is not mentioned as much, so it's worth reading up more on.

I unfortunately don't have any good recommendations for microeconomics, so my best guess would be to have look at the Schaum's Outlines or A Level economics books. What the uni teaches in microeconomics can vary a lot, but the macro can be pretty consistent from what I have seen.

Having said the above, they wouldn't really be expecting you to know much about economics in the first year and they would take you through the material from the group up. It's just the learning curve can be a bit steep. The above should help though; just make sure you're not buying books that you need to get different editions of when you're at uni.

If instead you want a list of books on economics for casual reading, let me know.
Reply 2
Wow, thank you sm! If possible do you think you could recommend books for casual reading for economics if thats okay? Also, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage because I didnt do economics at A-level? Thank you
Original post by MindMax2000
It's funny that you say that. I do know of a list of books that I would recommend reading, but they tend to be for the undergrad level.

Whilst you can always read the material for A Level economics, the fact that a lot of the material at uni level would likely involve mathematical models and graphs a notch above A Level economics standard.

Depending on what specific books you would be using at degree level, I would recommend the following:

Pretty much any book on economics by Gregory Mankiw - a favourite amongst economics students

Basic Econometrics by Damodar Gujarati - econometrics is statistics for economics (don't ask why they call it that); this is probably the best book for the subject that I have come across and it's an easy read

Mathematics for Economics and Business by Ian Jacque - if you're rusty with your maths or want to see how the maths you learnt at A Level is applied, this is a good book to start off with; it covers some of the further maths material that you might need should you want to do the more mathematical modules

Schaum's Outline of Introduction to Mathematical Economics by Edward Dowling - a good book on pretty much most, if not all, of the maths you would need for a standard economics degree; you don't need to read all of it, but you can browse through some of the topics if interested. It's also cheaper than Jacque's book

Other Schaum's Outline books on economic topics - you should check out the contents of these books prior to buying since a lot of the material can overlap with the others

There are more mathematical books that you can look into, but you won't likely need them unless you're doing mathematical economics as a degree or module.

There are essentially 3 key areas of study/modules in any economics degree: macroeconomics (the economy), microeconomics (individual/firm level), and econometrics. Macroeconomics is something you are most likely going to comea cross the most often in the news, and it's not that particularly demanding. Microeconomics on the other hand is not mentioned as much, so it's worth reading up more on.

I unfortunately don't have any good recommendations for microeconomics, so my best guess would be to have look at the Schaum's Outlines or A Level economics books. What the uni teaches in microeconomics can vary a lot, but the macro can be pretty consistent from what I have seen.

Having said the above, they wouldn't really be expecting you to know much about economics in the first year and they would take you through the material from the group up. It's just the learning curve can be a bit steep. The above should help though; just make sure you're not buying books that you need to get different editions of when you're at uni.

If instead you want a list of books on economics for casual reading, let me know.
Original post by nousername01
Wow, thank you sm! If possible do you think you could recommend books for casual reading for economics if thats okay? Also, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage because I didnt do economics at A-level? Thank you

do you think you could recommend books for casual reading for economics if thats okay?

The Freakonomics series by Steven Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner - one of my favourites when it comes to economics; it's a fun take and looks at black market economics (something not covered in mainstream economics degrees)

Ted Talks by Steven Levitt e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UGC2nLnaes - hilarious

Freakonomics podcast

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford - good twist on how economics is used in practice

Animal Spirits by George Akerlof - goes through an economic theory, so not quite casual reading

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely - more of a psychology book, but the topic does come up in microeconomics

Irrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller - more of a finance book, but it's a good book to read if you're into financial economics

The Economist magazine and YouTube channel- the default magazine to go to for economics

The Financial Times.- mroe for finance, but the economics sections give you an overview of the economy

Lewis, M. (2006). Liar’s poker. - a book on how finace industry work in practice; a lot of cursing is included

John Maynard Keynes by Hyman P. Minsky - biography of an economist

Economics Explained YouTube channel - a fun channel for applications of economics

World Economic Forum - although it covers a breadth of other subjects and not just economics

Crash Course Economics YouTube playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oDmcs0xTD-dJN1PL2N1urX0EKupBJCQ) - a good overview of a number of the economics concepts

Principles by Ray Dalio YouTube channel - an alternative insight into economics

Khan Academy's playlist on economics (https://www.youtube.com/c/khanacademy/playlists) - you probably saw this coming

Highly recommended books I have yet to read but I will get to eventually
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky - talks about decision making in economics
The Armchair Economist by Steven E. Landsburg - similar to the Undercover Economist
The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nissim Nocholas Taleb - about improbable events; something that can come up in game theory and financial economics
Banerjee, A. & Duflo, E. (2011). Poor economics. Penguin - development economics
Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science, Charles Wheelan - broad overview of economics
Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics, Richard H. Thaler - talks about behavioural economics/game theory
Capitalism and Freedom, Milton Friedman - I'm not a fan of Friedman, but this is an iconic book
The Return of Depression Economics and Crisis of 2008 Paul Krugman - about the financial crisis
The Worldly Philosophers by Robert L Heilbroner - talks about the economic thinkers throughout history
Rise and Fall of Nations: Ten Rules of Change in the Post-Crisis World (Richir Sharma) - the title alone is enough to captivate you
The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes - a dated book, but it's one of the books that set off modern economics and has many of the theories that you would be studying
Stabilizing an Unstable Economy by Hyman Minsky - more on finance and an idea of what's causing booms and busts
Principles by Ray Dalio - a book on the economy and how you can use it for investing

Other books
Whilst it's not exactly a recommended read, The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith is one of the key books to modern economics. We refer to many of the ideas and principles mentioned in this book by other terms now. It can impress some lecturers, but it's not going to help you that much in terms of your studies.
The Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan - an autobiography of a former US central banker; about half of the book is about economics, and half about his life and career

If you want other recommendations, you can google for "recommended reading list university economics"

Of course, the above is quite a long list and it would take you more than several months to go through all of it (assuming you study like crazy nonstop). I would pick and choose depending on what you like the sound of the most.
Freakonomics would be my go to followed by Undercover Economist.

Also, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage because I didnt do economics at A-level?
You might be at a slight disadvantage, but I don't think it's by that much.
I didn't do economics at A Level and I did fine. On the other hand, I know of someone who did and went onto do an economics degree course, where he came across a number of students who struggled in their first year because of how new the concepts are.
I think it comes down to the individual.

Personal recommendation: a casual read of the subject at A Level standard (don't need to cover the GCSE stuff if you don't want to) would be of benefit, but it's not strictly a must. If you can handle mathematical models and enjoy theoretical debates, then you should be fine in most cases.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you sm! This all helps alot :smile:
Original post by MindMax2000
do you think you could recommend books for casual reading for economics if thats okay?

The Freakonomics series by Steven Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner - one of my favourites when it comes to economics; it's a fun take and looks at black market economics (something not covered in mainstream economics degrees)

Ted Talks by Steven Levitt e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UGC2nLnaes - hilarious

Freakonomics podcast

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford - good twist on how economics is used in practice

Animal Spirits by George Akerlof - goes through an economic theory, so not quite casual reading

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely - more of a psychology book, but the topic does come up in microeconomics

Irrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller - more of a finance book, but it's a good book to read if you're into financial economics

The Economist magazine and YouTube channel- the default magazine to go to for economics

The Financial Times.- mroe for finance, but the economics sections give you an overview of the economy

Lewis, M. (2006). Liar’s poker. - a book on how finace industry work in practice; a lot of cursing is included

John Maynard Keynes by Hyman P. Minsky - biography of an economist

Economics Explained YouTube channel - a fun channel for applications of economics

World Economic Forum - although it covers a breadth of other subjects and not just economics

Crash Course Economics YouTube playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oDmcs0xTD-dJN1PL2N1urX0EKupBJCQ) - a good overview of a number of the economics concepts

Principles by Ray Dalio YouTube channel - an alternative insight into economics

Khan Academy's playlist on economics (https://www.youtube.com/c/khanacademy/playlists) - you probably saw this coming

Highly recommended books I have yet to read but I will get to eventually
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky - talks about decision making in economics
The Armchair Economist by Steven E. Landsburg - similar to the Undercover Economist
The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nissim Nocholas Taleb - about improbable events; something that can come up in game theory and financial economics
Banerjee, A. & Duflo, E. (2011). Poor economics. Penguin - development economics
Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science, Charles Wheelan - broad overview of economics
Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics, Richard H. Thaler - talks about behavioural economics/game theory
Capitalism and Freedom, Milton Friedman - I'm not a fan of Friedman, but this is an iconic book
The Return of Depression Economics and Crisis of 2008 Paul Krugman - about the financial crisis
The Worldly Philosophers by Robert L Heilbroner - talks about the economic thinkers throughout history
Rise and Fall of Nations: Ten Rules of Change in the Post-Crisis World (Richir Sharma) - the title alone is enough to captivate you
The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes - a dated book, but it's one of the books that set off modern economics and has many of the theories that you would be studying
Stabilizing an Unstable Economy by Hyman Minsky - more on finance and an idea of what's causing booms and busts
Principles by Ray Dalio - a book on the economy and how you can use it for investing

Other books
Whilst it's not exactly a recommended read, The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith is one of the key books to modern economics. We refer to many of the ideas and principles mentioned in this book by other terms now. It can impress some lecturers, but it's not going to help you that much in terms of your studies.
The Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan - an autobiography of a former US central banker; about half of the book is about economics, and half about his life and career

If you want other recommendations, you can google for "recommended reading list university economics"

Of course, the above is quite a long list and it would take you more than several months to go through all of it (assuming you study like crazy nonstop). I would pick and choose depending on what you like the sound of the most.
Freakonomics would be my go to followed by Undercover Economist.

Also, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage because I didnt do economics at A-level?
You might be at a slight disadvantage, but I don't think it's by that much.
I didn't do economics at A Level and I did fine. On the other hand, I know of someone who did and went onto do an economics degree course, where he came across a number of students who struggled in their first year because of how new the concepts are.
I think it comes down to the individual.

Personal recommendation: a casual read of the subject at A Level standard (don't need to cover the GCSE stuff if you don't want to) would be of benefit, but it's not strictly a must. If you can handle mathematical models and enjoy theoretical debates, then you should be fine in most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest