The Student Room Group

medicine with only chemistry a level?

Heyy, so I just picked my a levels (scary) but I wanted to keep 2 career choices open so I still had time to decide between the 2 as I am EXTREMELY indecisive anyways, for my a levels i picked economics, maths, and chemistry and I was wondering if for medicine you NEED biology a level? I dont think so but just want to make sure cause apparently they teach you the whole of biology a level in the first year anyways. I know some universities you 100 percent need biology but some i think accept chemistry and one between maths, biology and physics.
Original post by doughnutsareslay
Heyy, so I just picked my a levels (scary) but I wanted to keep 2 career choices open so I still had time to decide between the 2 as I am EXTREMELY indecisive anyways, for my a levels i picked economics, maths, and chemistry and I was wondering if for medicine you NEED biology a level? I dont think so but just want to make sure cause apparently they teach you the whole of biology a level in the first year anyways. I know some universities you 100 percent need biology but some i think accept chemistry and one between maths, biology and physics.

The Medic Portal is probably one of my favourite resources of uni application in medicine. According to them, about 19 universities would accept you for medicine if you have maths and chemistry as a combo instead of biology. See:
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
The ideal scenario would be to do biology+chem, but if for any random reason you don't have the combo, you still are open to about 19 courses out there.

As I don't know what the current requirements are for medical degrees, you might need to check the requirements of individual universities in case the above information is out of date.

Also, why are you picking economics? What's your other career choice exactly?
If you want to become an economist, then you would only need A Level Maths (+FM if you intend to apply to top end uni and it's available to you). If you want to study a finance or related degree (for any odd reason), you would only need A Level Maths (FM is strictly not necessary).
Original post by MindMax2000
The Medic Portal is probably one of my favourite resources of uni application in medicine. According to them, about 19 universities would accept you for medicine if you have maths and chemistry as a combo instead of biology. See:
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/
The ideal scenario would be to do biology+chem, but if for any random reason you don't have the combo, you still are open to about 19 courses out there.

As I don't know what the current requirements are for medical degrees, you might need to check the requirements of individual universities in case the above information is out of date.

Also, why are you picking economics? What's your other career choice exactly?
If you want to become an economist, then you would only need A Level Maths (+FM if you intend to apply to top end uni and it's available to you). If you want to study a finance or related degree (for any odd reason), you would only need A Level Maths (FM is strictly not necessary).

Heyy thank you so much for the website it's really helpful!!

I'm picking economics as something to do at degree level too I have my heart set on medicine but my family want me to do finance stuff and they already work in the NHS and it's not that good lol so I picked both economics and chemistry so I had more time to make my mind up about the degree for uni
Original post by doughnutsareslay
Heyy thank you so much for the website it's really helpful!!

I'm picking economics as something to do at degree level too I have my heart set on medicine but my family want me to do finance stuff and they already work in the NHS and it's not that good lol so I picked both economics and chemistry so I had more time to make my mind up about the degree for uni

Whilst it doesn't hurt to have economics as one of your options, I don't see the point of having it if you're restricted on the number of subjects that you can take.

As previously mentioned, to get onto an economics degree, you would need to have A Level Maths with FM being a preferred subject should you wish to do the degree at a top end university (and is available at your college).
If you want to do a degree in finance, A Level Maths should be the sole required subject with FM being a preferred secondary subject.
Having said that, you don't need a degree in either economics or finance to go into finance. To get into finance, you would need the appropriate professional financial qualification suited for the specific role that you want to apply for (e.g. you can't do a qualification in say mortgage advisory and then be expected to go into stockbroking; if you want to go into stockbroking, you would need a specific qualification to allow you to go into stockbroking). A degree in finance or economics won't help. Most of these professional qualifications won't usually ask for any prior qualifications, so if you really wanted to you can do one as you are now.
The degree in economics is really useful if you want to go into economics, but you would typically also be looking at postgrad qualifications in economics on top unless you decide to go via the degree apprenticeship route which only asks for 3 A Levels with one being in (you guessed it) Maths.

If you want books to give you flavour of what studying economics or finance would be like, I can recommend some. However, no book can give you a solid reflection of what it would be like to work in finance. You would need to do an internship for that, assuming you would be able to secure one (they're really competitive).

The other thing about finance is I recommend people to try to get a flavour of what the industry is like and speak to people who are/were in the field first. Finance isn't what it's cracked up to be for most people, and you would be surprised to find out whether you're suited for it. If you aren't suited for the industry, it's best to find out before you invest time and money into qualifications that you won't be needing or won't have a chance to use.
Reply 4
Hi, it’s very possible to apply to medicine without a biology a level. I did the same thing for my application last year, and was given an offer - just make sure to double check entry requirements before applying. I’d say maybe 2/3rds of universities don’t ask for a biology a level, but be careful with London unis if ur looking at those cus a lot of them require biology. From what I can tell, unis that require biology generally do it so they can go through certain elements of the course faster, whereas those that don’t require it will go over it all from scratch. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 5
List of 2024 entry requirements for each UK Med School - uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf (medschools.ac.uk)
Original post by yueding
Hi, it’s very possible to apply to medicine without a biology a level. I did the same thing for my application last year, and was given an offer - just make sure to double check entry requirements before applying. I’d say maybe 2/3rds of universities don’t ask for a biology a level, but be careful with London unis if ur looking at those cus a lot of them require biology. From what I can tell, unis that require biology generally do it so they can go through certain elements of the course faster, whereas those that don’t require it will go over it all from scratch. Hope this helps! :smile:

Ohh okay thanks so much! do you find it harder if you haven't done biology at a level or is it around the same?
Original post by MindMax2000
Whilst it doesn't hurt to have economics as one of your options, I don't see the point of having it if you're restricted on the number of subjects that you can take.

As previously mentioned, to get onto an economics degree, you would need to have A Level Maths with FM being a preferred subject should you wish to do the degree at a top end university (and is available at your college).
If you want to do a degree in finance, A Level Maths should be the sole required subject with FM being a preferred secondary subject.
Having said that, you don't need a degree in either economics or finance to go into finance. To get into finance, you would need the appropriate professional financial qualification suited for the specific role that you want to apply for (e.g. you can't do a qualification in say mortgage advisory and then be expected to go into stockbroking; if you want to go into stockbroking, you would need a specific qualification to allow you to go into stockbroking). A degree in finance or economics won't help. Most of these professional qualifications won't usually ask for any prior qualifications, so if you really wanted to you can do one as you are now.
The degree in economics is really useful if you want to go into economics, but you would typically also be looking at postgrad qualifications in economics on top unless you decide to go via the degree apprenticeship route which only asks for 3 A Levels with one being in (you guessed it) Maths.

If you want books to give you flavour of what studying economics or finance would be like, I can recommend some. However, no book can give you a solid reflection of what it would be like to work in finance. You would need to do an internship for that, assuming you would be able to secure one (they're really competitive).

The other thing about finance is I recommend people to try to get a flavour of what the industry is like and speak to people who are/were in the field first. Finance isn't what it's cracked up to be for most people, and you would be surprised to find out whether you're suited for it. If you aren't suited for the industry, it's best to find out before you invest time and money into qualifications that you won't be needing or won't have a chance to use.

Ohh okay, i understand, thanks for ur help!!

Quick Reply

Latest