The Student Room Group

The Official Modern Languages Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vroorv02
hi!! i've got an offer from UCLan for Modern Languages Japanese and Korean which i'm probably going to accept :biggrin:,, anyone else got an offer for modern languages at UCLan?

Hiya! I got an offer for English Language and Linguistics and Japanese, which I'm happy about as it's a pretty good offer and they're my second choice, so if I don't quite make it for my first choice (SOAS) but still get enough points for them, I'll most likely accept it.
I've applied for politics and French at Manchester, Sheffield, bath and ULIP and European studies with french at kcl. so far, I have offers from all except bath :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by imclx
hiya! i'm studying a-level spanish, german and english language (predicted a*a*a*) as well as doing an EPQ on language education in Britain. i'm planning on applying to edinburgh, st andrews, glasgow, durham and aberdeen - all for languages spanish and german, plus with comparative literature at st andrews. edinburgh as a city is one of my favourite places in the world so that's the main reason it's my top choice, and i really love the course. languages have been my favourite subject since starting secondary school and spending 4 weeks working in Hamburg over the summer really proved how much it was the path i want to take. i'm so excited to start university and continue my language studies. as mentioned, i am also applying to comparative literature at st andrews, but linguistics and another language (probably french) are the other courses i'm interested in! good luck :smile:

hi! I'm applying to edinburgh for german! :smile:
Original post by charmaine.d
hello !! i study french and spanish and music tech, and i'm predicted A, A, discinction, hopefully I'll be able to get A* in french!

im applying for undergrad french and chinese !!!!

i really want to go to uni of leeds since i love the campus, im familiar with the city!!

i really love learning languages and recently i've watched a few video essays about linguistics too! i started wanting to learn languages after watching dubbed cartoons as a kid, when a show i follow premiered some episodes in portuguese last year, i was able to understand most of it from studying spanish !!!!

been to open days at leeds (two of them in sept, oct, absolutely loved it there!!!!), liverpool (felt super dingy there, but i did like the variety of languages and the opportunity to study basque) and manchester (feels wayway too posh and definitely not the atmosphere i'd want to be in)

in the future i want to also learn/dabble in, japanese (maybe . . . . theres way way too many different formality words so i might not. but the knowledge i get from learning chinese might help!!!), portuguese and basque !!!!! i wanna be a teacher or musician ! just depends how things go lol !

Hii I'm applying to chinese and german 🙂 are you beginners chinese? I really wanted to go to leeds but their year abroad system for german and chinese wasnt what I wanted! Really wish i was going haha
Hi! I've applied for german and chinese at edinburgh, st andrews, nottingham, manchester and lancaster. my first choice is edinbugh and so far I've received an offer from nottingham 🙂 Is anyone else applying for german/chinese?
Original post by evekelly06
Hii I'm applying to chinese and german 🙂 are you beginners chinese? I really wanted to go to leeds but their year abroad system for german and chinese wasnt what I wanted! Really wish i was going haha

yep i'm a complete beginner in chinese !!! yeah the year abroad thing had me worried but i talked a ton to the students there and got tons of reassurance that it'll be fine and that i'll be prepared enough for it !!

i don't mind about not studying in france, i might find a placement or something during one of the summers !
Hi! I've applied for german and chinese at edinburgh, st andrews, nottingham, manchester and lancaster. my first choice is edinbugh and so far I've received an offer from nottingham 🙂 Is anyone else applying for german/chinese?

Omg i applied for German and Chinese at Edinburgh as well. Have you received your offer from Edinburgh yet?
Original post by matthew.sung
Omg i applied for German and Chinese at Edinburgh as well. Have you received your offer from Edinburgh yet?

omg! i havent met anybody else applying for the same language combination 🙂 no i havent haha, have you? i'm feeling slightly nervous that I haven't heard back yet
omg! i havent met anybody else applying for the same language combination 🙂 no i havent haha, have you? i'm feeling slightly nervous that I haven't heard back yet

I know! I was soo happy to see someone apply for the same language combination. I applied to Bath, Birmingham, Exeter and Queen Mary University London and got offers from all of them. Just waiting for Edinburgh. I feel really scared because Edinburgh is my top choice because you can study other modules in first and second year
I know! I was soo happy to see someone apply for the same language combination. I applied to Bath, Birmingham, Exeter and Queen Mary University London and got offers from all of them. Just waiting for Edinburgh. I feel really scared because Edinburgh is my top choice because you can study other modules in first and second year

yeah ik what you mean! i actually think i might firm manchester now😭 i’ve had a complete turnaround with my thoughts about uni, still slightly confused and undecided though!!
Reply 30
Hi everyone!

I'm studying Spanish, English Language and Psychology at A level and I've applied for Spanish and Italian at uni.

I've been learning Spanish since Year 9 but apart from a bit of Duolingo I'm a beginner at Italian. My top choice is Edinburgh and my insurance is York - they both really impressed me when I visited for open days but ultimately I like how central the Edinburgh campus is.

It's really interesting to see everyone's language combinations and it also makes me happy to see other people doing A level English Language I feel like there's not a lot of us who do it 😭
Original post by annam7
Hi everyone!
I'm studying Spanish, English Language and Psychology at A level and I've applied for Spanish and Italian at uni.
I've been learning Spanish since Year 9 but apart from a bit of Duolingo I'm a beginner at Italian. My top choice is Edinburgh and my insurance is York - they both really impressed me when I visited for open days but ultimately I like how central the Edinburgh campus is.
It's really interesting to see everyone's language combinations and it also makes me happy to see other people doing A level English Language I feel like there's not a lot of us who do it 😭

Have u received an offer from Edinburgh yet? I'm still waiting but it's my firm choice if I get in
Reply 32
Original post by annam7
Hi everyone!

i've also firmed edi for spanish and german! and also do english language - i agree it's always lit, but i love it!
Reply 33
Have u received an offer from Edinburgh yet? I'm still waiting but it's my firm choice if I get in

Yes, I did a couple of weeks ago
Reply 34
Original post by imclx
i've also firmed edi for spanish and german! and also do english language - i agree it's always lit, but i love it!

I really like it too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending