The Student Room Group

Midwifery Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
AHH. Had another interview this morning and feel like I bombed it again! I just can't do interviews!

Does anyone know if it basically is all decided by the interview? I thought it was a case of good application means they'll look at the personal statement. If that's good and your reference and predicted grades are good you'll be invited to interview and then you only get a place if you smash the interview.

Really hoping it's not like that and admissions take a look at you as a whole otherwise I think I've lost my dream *
Original post by Jibbity
AHH. Had another interview this morning and feel like I bombed it again! I just can't do interviews!

Does anyone know if it basically is all decided by the interview? I thought it was a case of good application means they'll look at the personal statement. If that's good and your reference and predicted grades are good you'll be invited to interview and then you only get a place if you smash the interview.

Really hoping it's not like that and admissions take a look at you as a whole otherwise I think I've lost my dream *

Helloo! I had my interview on Tuesday and was so upset because I thought I’d complete messed it up! I’ve been put into holding which apparently means I’ve scored well enough to get into the course and now they just need to look at all the applicants and make decisions on who they’re going to give the places to!
So please don’t loose hope, hopefully you’ll hear back soon!🤞🏻 where was your interview for?
Reply 82
Original post by Jenniferhr
Original post by Jibbity

Helloo! I had my interview on Tuesday and was so upset because I thought I’d complete messed it up! I’ve been put into holding which apparently means I’ve scored well enough to get into the course and now they just need to look at all the applicants and make decisions on who they’re going to give the places to!
So please don’t loose hope, hopefully you’ll hear back soon!🤞🏻 where was your interview for?

This one was BCU who I was on with in 2022. They've kind of run me around in circles a bit and I didn't even know I would have to interview until recently and it was totally different from my previous interview.

The saving grace was that the interviewer was one of my old lecturers and so we talked about everything that happened but i just know I did better the first time i Interviewed with them.

Also, apparently we're no longer allowed to take notes into interviews?
Reply 83
Original post by Jibbity

Also congrats on the holding! Everything crossed for you!

Which university put you on hold?
Original post by Jibbity
Original post by Jibbity

This one was BCU who I was on with in 2022. They've kind of run me around in circles a bit and I didn't even know I would have to interview until recently and it was totally different from my previous interview.

The saving grace was that the interviewer was one of my old lecturers and so we talked about everything that happened but i just know I did better the first time i Interviewed with them.

Also, apparently we're no longer allowed to take notes into interviews?

Thank you!! And I’m sure you did better than you think! Sending you lots of luck!
Reply 86
Original post by Jibbity

Every thing you had done as part of the process will be taken into consideration but your interview is the thing you have to show why you wanted to be a midwife.

Just keep positive until such time you get a reply back.

NHS registered midwife
Original post by Aueshabaifff

Which university put you on hold?

Hull :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Jibbity
Ugh I hate how stressed I'm getting. It's why I fluffed my Keele one. I got an offer for nursing from them which ultimately means I failed the interview. Heartbroken so now I'm getting in my head too much 🤣

Although you weren't offered a midwifery place at university you still at least was offered a alternative nursing course. This sometimes happens when you may have not scored enough points for gaining midwifery place so they usually offer potential students another course like adult nursing.

I would strongly recommend that you take it as you may not get offered a place if you applied again next year so by taking the adult nursing course you will still have at least a degree.

Once you have completed the adult nursing course you'll have to at least worked in a nursing setting for about 1 - 2 years before you can ask your hospital management team if you can apply for the shortened 18/20 months midwifery top-up degree course. The only drawback with the shortened course that majority of hospitals trusts and universities are withdrawing it which means you'll have to apply to the university to do the whole 3 years of midwifery..... I would look into whether you could still do the shortened 18/20 months midwifery top-up degree course at the time of you qualifying as a adult nurse.

You can still work on maternity wards as a adult nurse but you wouldn't be able to do any births but everything else you can do. I have MCA and HCA working alongside me plus the students when we get them on placement.

You could consider applying for a MCA ( maternity care nurse) at your local hospital by applying via their own NHS website ( this is about two years to complete) and then you'll have the necessary experience and you can still apply for midwifery at university.

Registered midwife
(edited 4 months ago)
I’m not sure how but I’ve bagged 4/5 interviews so far. Is this common for midwifery and what advice can anyone give me for succeeding in these interviews.
Reply 90
Original post by Tracey_W

Although you weren't offered a midwifery place at university you still at least was offered a alternative nursing course. This sometimes happens when you may have not scored enough points for gaining midwifery place so they usually offer potential students another course like adult nursing.

I would strongly recommend that you take it as you may not get offered a place if you applied again next year so by taking the adult nursing course you will still have at least a degree.

Once you have completed the adult nursing course you'll have to at least worked in a nursing setting for about 1 - 2 years before you can ask your hospital management team if you can apply for the shortened 18/20 months midwifery top-up degree course. The only drawback with the shortened course that majority of hospitals trusts and universities are withdrawing it which means you'll have to apply to the university to do the whole 3 years of midwifery..... I would look into whether you could still do the shortened 18/20 months midwifery top-up degree course at the time of you qualifying as a adult nurse.

You can still work on maternity wards as a adult nurse but you wouldn't be able to do any births but everything else you can do. I have MCA and HCA working alongside me plus the students when we get them on placement.

You could consider applying for a MCA ( maternity care nurse) at your local hospital by applying via their own NHS website ( this is about two years to complete) and then you'll have the necessary experience and you can still apply for midwifery at university.

Registered midwife

Thanks Tracey. I still have other interviews but I'm just not doing well at them. Definitely over prepping and then the nerves are getting the better of me.
I'm hoping that BCU will pull through for me as we had an agreement from when I left. I was performing exceptionally before I had to suspend (which turned out had to be a withdrawal) but I don't know how that's all going to play out based on this interview.

I think I'll keep Keele as my back up plan. I'd love to be a nurse but midwifery is where my heart is. Maybe see what the deal is with the apprenticeship by the time I know what's what
Reply 91
I’m not sure how but I’ve bagged 4/5 interviews so far. Is this common for midwifery and what advice can anyone give me for succeeding in these interviews.

Congratulations! I don't know to be honest. I got all my interviews in 2022 and then again when ive applied this year however I do think your application has got to be pretty good for that to happen! I've heard a lot of people get rejected straight away but they're usually applying at really in demand places.

Again, we can't give you anything specific.
Prepare short note. Nothing too major.
The role
Talk about what's in your personal statement - you won't be repeating yourself as the interviewer has likely not seen it
Prepare for scenarios that will cover a variety of things - inclusion/discrimination/safeguarding etc
There may be an image for you to discuss - this wasn't something I experienced in 2022 but I've heard many universities are asking for it now

And as always - the code, 6 C's and any hot topics in the field.

This is just list of things I've seen others discuss and things I've experienced in various interviews from 22 and this year

Just show your passion!
Original post by Jibbity
Congratulations! I don't know to be honest. I got all my interviews in 2022 and then again when ive applied this year however I do think your application has got to be pretty good for that to happen! I've heard a lot of people get rejected straight away but they're usually applying at really in demand places.

The role
Talk about what's in your personal statement - you won't be repeating yourself as the interviewer has likely not seen it
Prepare for scenarios that will cover a variety of things - inclusion/discrimination/safeguarding etc
There may be an image for you to discuss - this wasn't something I experienced in 2022 but I've heard many universities are asking for it now

This is just list of things I've seen others discuss and things I've experienced in various interviews from 22 and this year

Just show your passion!

Thank you!! I’ll try to take this on board. Idk why but I feel the pressure to do well more now that I’ve been give more interviews.
Can I ask why you’re reapplying from last year and how you did in your previous interviews?
Reply 93
Original post by Jibbity

The role

Just show your passion!

Thank you!! I’ll try to take this on board. Idk why but I feel the pressure to do well more now that I’ve been give more interviews.
Can I ask why you’re reapplying from last year and how you did in your previous interviews?

I totally get that. More interviews mean that it's within touching distance and that's really stressful but remember you had what it takes to get this far!

I was in 22/23 at BCU - did really well actually but I have graves Disease and I had to take a month off for treatment and then there was gunna be a period where I had to have other treatments. It was affecting my health really severely tbh and so I sat down with the uni to discuss it. We decided it would be best to suspend my studies and I would just jump in with the 23/34 cohort. However, it later turned out because I'd left the course during the first semester that you're eligible for suspension but must fully withdraw.
The uni kind implied to me that I have a place there. They've been in contact with me since I left - but that may not actually be in the hands of those I spoke to. It's a bit of a mess. So anyway I had to reapply only I wasn't expecting to have to do that so haven't prepped the way I did before.

Last time I applied to BCU, Stafford and Wolves and withdrew from Stafford and Wolves before the interview outcomes as BCU offered me my place (I liked their programme best and they were my first choice). This time I applied to BCU (obvs) Stafford and Keele.

BCU I scored so highly they asked me to switch from the Jan programme to the September and offered me the integrated masters - I think that's why it's so hard now because I know I can kill that interview but it was just a bad day and there's nothing I can do about that now! Just have to wait!

Got an unconditional offer for nursing at Keele but I mostly just applied to keep my options open in case BCU falls through (which based on my interview is entirely possible 🤣) but I'll probably take it if I'm not successful anywhere else.

Congrats on all your interviews. You've done so well!
Hey All!
I had my interview with Bedford today and was so nervous! Has anyone else had a Bedford interview for 2024 yet? X
Reply 95
Original post by Jibbity
Thanks Tracey. I still have other interviews but I'm just not doing well at them. Definitely over prepping and then the nerves are getting the better of me.
I'm hoping that BCU will pull through for me as we had an agreement from when I left. I was performing exceptionally before I had to suspend (which turned out had to be a withdrawal) but I don't know how that's all going to play out based on this interview.

I think I'll keep Keele as my back up plan. I'd love to be a nurse but midwifery is where my heart is. Maybe see what the deal is with the apprenticeship by the time I know what's what

You are welcome 🤗🤗

You can't over prepared for a interview as best you are over prepared rather than not enough preparation 😔.

The best thing for your nerves prior to going to interview is - arrive bit earlier and then have some time doing relaxation exercise like breathing in quickly and slowly letting it out ( repeat this for say five to ten minutes) as this usually helps with nerves.
Obviously when you are in the interview you answering your questions the best you can do.

You had interview already so use that for experience as it should help with things for your other interviews.

You did it before you where suspended so every you learnt previously use it.

To be honest with you adult nursing isn't the end of the world for you as I think you can perhaps switch over to midwifery at end of the first year if any available places available but you can check it out with university.

I always wanted to do adult nursing first and then do midwifery at later date but landed up doing the midwifery.

Don't bank on apprenticeships as you have to convince someone to employ you and then let you do it.

Keep positive and chose wisely.

Good luck with the other interviews. Again just be happy with the adult nursing offer and see what happens when you do the other interviews okay.
Hi,
I just got an interview offer for Uni of Manchester, which is in person. They didn't mention having a numeracy test or anything. Will there be one?
Reply 97
Original post by academicgirly
Hi,
I just got an interview offer for Uni of Manchester, which is in person. They didn't mention having a numeracy test or anything. Will there be one?

Hi! Congratulations, I did my first degree with UoM. Do check their Midwifery course details on the website. It’s very detailed with lots of information. They even have information about their pre interview reading.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 98
Hi,

Interviews are scheduled from November to March/April.
[start]You will be required to attend an interview on campus and this will be in the form of a group interview and a short individual interview.[/start]
[start]The interview will provide information about your ability to think on your feet, critically appraise information, communicate ideas, and demonstrate that you have thought about some of the issues that are important to the Midwifery profession.[/start]
[start]The interview session will last approximately 3 hours, although this will include a short presentation, a campus or skills lab tour and an opportunity to chat with current Midwifery students and other candidates.[/start]
[start]There will be both morning and afternoon interview sessions. If you cannot arrive in time for a morning session, please contact us to request a different date or time.[/start]
[start]Candidates who are shortlisted to attend an interview will receive a notification through UCAS Track, informing you of the date and time. It is important that you confirm your attendance via UCAS Track within 48 hours. Further information will be sent via email once you have confirmed your acceptance.[/start]
[start]The offer of a place will be based on your application, your performance during the interview, and the assessment of your interviewer. Please note that we may postpone our decision about your application until later in the interview cycle to ensure a fair and equitable process for all our applicants. We will inform you if this is the case.[/start]
[start]If you have a disability that you think will affect your ability to participate in this interview process, please tell us about this when you confirm your intention to attend for the interview.[/start]
[start]Please note:*We appreciate the date you have been given for your interview may not be suitable and we will do our best to accommodate a change of date request. However, if you HAVE confirmed your attendance via UCAS Track and request a change of date with short notice, it is most likely you will be added to a wait list and we may only be able to offer a new date towards the end of the interview process (February/March).[/start]
Reply 99
Hi,

sorry I forgot to add. Some universities do not do the literacy and numeracy if you meet the gcse requirements.

Below is from the website

GCSE
Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including five GCSES/iGCSES at Grade B or 6. These may include your English, Science and Mathematics if at Grade B or 6.
English Language, Mathematics and Science are required at GCSE/iGCSE level with a minimum Grade of C or 4.
GCSE/iGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/iGCSE English Language.
Please note that if you hold English as a second language iGCSE qualification, we may also require you to offer one of our acceptable equivalent English Language qualifications or achieve a higher grade in your iGCSE than the one stated above. Please contact the Admissions office for clarification.
Please note that we do not accept Functional Skills 2 or equivalent qualifications in place of GCSE English and Maths. We may consider alternative science qualifications such as the BTEC First Certificate/Diploma in Applied Science. We accept Scottish Standard Grades and Intermediates in place of GCSEs.
For applicants whose status has been confirmed as WP+ using the University's Contextual Data Eligibility tool , we will allow an overall reduction of 2 grades on the full GCSE requirements. Please note, however, that no individual subject should be lower than C/4.
For applicants whose status has been confirmed as WP++ using the University's Contextual Data Eligibility tool , we will allow an overall reduction of 4 grades on the full GCSE requirements. Please note, however, that no individual subject should be lower than C/4.

Quick Reply