Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Official University of Reading 2024 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UniofReading

Hi Anonymous,
What course did you apply to and when did you apply? It depend on these two factors mostly, but it can be a few months!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Thank you😊 I applied for computer science about 2 weeks ago.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #6
Thank you😊 I applied for computer science about 2 weeks ago.

Hey!

That's super exciting! As Kat said, responses can take a few weeks/months to come through due to the high volume that we get so don't worry if you haven't had one yet - hopefully it won't be too long!

In the meantime, if you have any questions about anything at all, please do ask away!

Good luck!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
Original post by Anonymous #6
Hi, was just wondering how long offers took to come through.

hey! i applied on oct 31st and it took just under 24 hours for an offer to come through! good luck
Reply 63
Received my offer today! Is there any computer science applicants or current students in here.
Hi 😄,

Im Sergi and I have an offer to study Philosophy BA at Reading. Reading is relatively close to me and I will be driving to uni every day so this is a priority for me. Reading is my second choice after Royal Holloway atm because Holloway is three times closer but have yet to respond to my application. Reading has lots of students which should be a fun bustling atmosphere and I am interested in the green space since I plan to meditate around the area.

I hope you are all having fun preparing for uni or studying at Reading already :smile:
Original post by Jwannan
Received my offer today! Is there any computer science applicants or current students in here.
Hey @Jwannan

Congratulations on your offer- that's so exciting!

If you have any questions in the meantime, please do ask away.

Good luck and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you to Reading soon!

Skye 🙂
Original post by StewartGriffin
Hi 😄,

Im Sergi and I have an offer to study Philosophy BA at Reading. Reading is relatively close to me and I will be driving to uni every day so this is a priority for me. Reading is my second choice after Royal Holloway atm because Holloway is three times closer but have yet to respond to my application. Reading has lots of students which should be a fun bustling atmosphere and I am interested in the green space since I plan to meditate around the area.

I hope you are all having fun preparing for uni or studying at Reading already :smile:
Hi Sergi @StewartGriffin

Congratulations on your offer- that's fantastic!

We totally get the consideration about travel time so wishing you all the best for your decision from Royal Holloway, and equally, we'd be super excited to welcome you here if you do want to come in the end! If you have any questions at all in the meantime, we'd love to help so let us know.

Good luck!!

Skye 🙂
Hi 😄,

Hi Sergi @StewartGriffin

We totally get the consideration about travel time so wishing you all the best for your decision from Royal Holloway, and equally, we'd be super excited to welcome you here if you do want to come in the end! If you have any questions at all in the meantime, we'd love to help so let us know.

Good luck!!

Skye 🙂

Thank you very much. I am now considering the option of shared housing in reading but am having trouble estimating the bills if I live in a shared house (not university accommodation but student housing). If you, Skye, or anyone else in reading atm has an idea of how much your bills are weekly per person including internet, electricity, gas and water, please let me know. That would be extremely helpful. Enjoy your day! 👋
can you get an offer after offer holder days take place?
Original post by Anonymous #8
can you get an offer after offer holder days take place?

According to UCAS they have until the 16th of May to reply to your application. So yes, you can get an offer after the offer holder days have concluded.
Hi Sergi @StewartGriffin

Good luck!!

Skye 🙂

StewartGriffin,

That's great! So this will depend on how many other people you live with of course, but for the past two years I've been living in private accommodation with three others, and our bills are around £40-50 a month each (10-13/ week) for everything, on the higher end during the winter months when we have the heating on. This is with the standard wifi package too, so if higher speed internet is a priority of yours you're looking at a few extra quid each I think!

Hope this helps - if you have any other university or accommodation-related questions let us know!

MA Diplomacy Student
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by tatobon26
Hi! I’ve applied for consumer behaviour and marketing with a placement year at Reading. My other choices are Hull, Essex, Southampton and Staffordshire. I love Reading’s campus and the town itself, I’m from a pretty underwhelming area so seeing it all in person was quite a shock lol! I’m an bit anxious with it being so far from home but I have friends in the area so I think I’ll be fine.
I’m currently predicted an A* in photography and a D*D in graphic design.
I've applied for consumer behaviour and marketing too! Is reading your first choice?
Hey @michaela001,
We have an applicants thread that you can join here, but not a specific offer holders group (yet). There are often facebook groups that get set up around February time that you'll learn more about on your me@reading portal, so keep an eye out for those - any and all info and updates will be seen through that portal first! But I'll have a look at getting an offer holders group put together on TSR too :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
I think that link just comes back to this thread :teehee:

@michaela001 if you use Instagram, there is an official UoR 2024 offer holders account you can follow - look for unirdg_offer_holders24.

P.S. Hello everyone, I just realised I hadn't posted here yet. I've applied and had an offer to UoR for Psychology with Foundation. If anyone is going to the offer day on Saturday, shall see you there :hello:
Hi everyone :smile:
We thought we'd kick things off with a new thread for people applying or thinking of applying for 2024 entry! Here, you can meet other applicants, chat during the whole application process, and ask our lovely reps any questions you may have.
Icebreaker questions
What course are you applying for/thinking of applying for?
What universities are you thinking of applying to?
Why Reading?
What are you currently studying and what are your predicted grades?
What extracurriculars are you involved with?
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with!)
Lottie :smile:
GRTUK and Reading Alumna (History)

I am college student , studied 5 years of graphic design , and want to do graphic design in university

I applied to BNU , staffordshire , UAL , Kingston , University of reading

i am thinking of going to reading , as its a nice course , they gave me an offer and i checked out the offer holder day , i love the academic side of the course but unsure of the employment after the 3 years i am in the course

I really want to talk to an past reading graphic communication graduate 2023 or 2022
Original post by Angela Pallisery
I am college student , studied 5 years of graphic design , and want to do graphic design in university
I applied to BNU , staffordshire , UAL , Kingston , University of reading
i am thinking of going to reading , as its a nice course , they gave me an offer and i checked out the offer holder day , i love the academic side of the course but unsure of the employment after the 3 years i am in the course
I really want to talk to an past reading graphic communication graduate 2023 or 2022
Hi @Angela Pallisery,

Great to hear you enjoyed your visit day! I think those are sensible concerns to have, and I'll try and help you figure that out as best I can. What job/field would you like to go on to work within? I chose Reading over my other options because of its emphasis on employability - we have a number of different placement and work experience programmes and opportunities, which you can find out about here and here! Two of my favourite things I achieved during my undergrad was the RED Award, which recognised my extracurricular work to give me an extra qualification, and the THRIVE mentoring programme wherein I was matched with an expert in a field of my interest and underwent a mentoring programme to learn from them and get some more experience and insight to their field.

I'd also say your employment options depend on the level of effort you put in - if you are able to put some time aside to get some extra work experience, do some commissions or exhibitions, and network with people through your course and its connections, you'll likely feel a lot more confident and have many more opportunities that you're aware of! I'd also recommend making use of our careers service, who are great at helping you figure out your own interests and making you aware of opportunities you may be suitable for, as well as putting on loads of workshops and seminars to boost your skills. But it sounds like with your experience already you're fairly set up for that, so you may already know how to make the most of it. Are there any specific concerns you have about employability?

Unfortunately none of our current digital ambassadors study or have studied Graphic Communication, so it may be worth using this form to see if our teams can put you in touch with someone who has or can tell you more about it from a personal perspective.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to stay in touch with any questions or updates you may have about your journey :smile:

MA Diplomacy Student
Has anyone received an offer for physician associate UG, I did the interview in December but haven’t heard anything back from them.
Reply 76
We thought we'd kick things off with a new thread for people applying or thinking of applying for 2024 entry! Here, you can meet other applicants, chat during the whole application process, and ask our lovely reps any questions you may have.
Icebreaker questions
Why Reading?

Hi, my name is Eleanor and I am starting a Psychology Bsc in September 2024. I just got my offer for my accommodation and I put down a preference for single-sex halls. When will I know if I have gotten that? Will it say on the accommodation offer or would I find out later on?

Thanks!
Original post by nellayu
Hi, my name is Eleanor and I am starting a Psychology Bsc in September 2024. I just got my offer for my accommodation and I put down a preference for single-sex halls. When will I know if I have gotten that? Will it say on the accommodation offer or would I find out later on?
Thanks!

Hey Eleanor @nellayu !

Congratulations on your offer - we're excited that you'll be joining us in September!

The accommodation team will do their best to accommodate for everyone's preferences as best as they can - but obviously this can't always be guaranteed. However, if you are unhappy with what you are offered, you can contact the team and they can see if they have any available options to swap you. This early on, I would imagine there's more chance of you getting your preferences than if you had applied later in the year though!
I can't remember ever finding out what kind of flat I was in after my accommodation offer, but this may just be my memory/things may have changed so I will ask the question for you and get back to you when I find out what the process is with this! Hope this is okay.

Good luck with your transition and if you have any other questions, do ask away!

Skye 🙂
Icebreaker questions
Why Reading?

Is Brian Hoskins building near psychology building or palmer?
Original post by Anonymous
Is Brian Hoskins building near psychology building or palmer?

Brian Hoskins and Psychology are adjacent to each other and Palmer is about a 10 minute walk in the centre of campus (at steady speed). It's worth nothing that you may not always have classes in your department's home building.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending