The Student Room Group

vertical motion

A stone is thrown vertically upwards from ground level with speed of 12ms.
a. find the distance travelled by the stone during the first 2 seconds of its motion. (answer is 10meters...how?)
b. for how long is the stone more than a metre above ground level?

I can't work these out. I've worked out the max height above ground is 7.3m and the time taken to reach max height is 1.2s.

Can anyone please help.
Reply 1
Original post by Mechanicsstudent
A stone is thrown vertically upwards from ground level with speed of 12ms.
a. find the distance travelled by the stone during the first 2 seconds of its motion. (answer is 10meters...how?)
b. for how long is the stone more than a metre above ground level?

I can't work these out. I've worked out the max height above ground is 7.3m and the time taken to reach max height is 1.2s.

Can anyone please help.

a) Distance travelled is distance upwards + distance downwards.
b) Solve for the times when its 1m high and subtract them. Equivalently double the time it takes from 1m height to the max height, or ...
Original post by mqb2766
a) Distance travelled is distance upwards + distance downwards.
b) Solve for the times when its 1m high and subtract them. Equivalently double the time it takes from 1m height to the max height, or ...

Thanks, I have now worked out the first part. I am still struggling with the second part.
Reply 3
Thanks, I have now worked out the first part. I am still struggling with the second part.

A few ways you could do it, but you have a suvat for
s = ....
so solve for t when vertical height/displacement = 1 and that gives the two times of interest. A sketch generally help so you want the time that the parabola is above s=1.
(edited 7 months ago)
Thanks, got it now!
Reply 5
Thanks, got it now!

A small short cut is to note that you dont need to explicitly calculate the roots as their difference is simply
sqrt(b^2-4ac)/a
which should be clear from the usual quadratic formula.

Quick Reply

Latest