The Student Room Group

Physics question suvat

Hi, please could I have help on this question? I thought the answer would be A because distance=speed*time and the vertical velocity would be Vsin theta so R would be VTsintheta but the answer is A?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/583867601640853504?codeId=Ml236yRqNepo4&origin=imageurlgenerator
Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by anonymous294
Hi, please could I have help on this question? I thought the answer would be A because distance=speed*time and the vertical velocity would be Vsin theta so R would be VTsintheta but the answer is A?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/583867601640853504?codeId=Ml236yRqNepo4&origin=imageurlgenerator
Thank you!!

You want to work out a horizontal distance R so ...
It would probably help if you did your own sketch and clearly marked on the given and resolved info.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You want to work out a horizontal distance R so ...
It would probably help if you did your own sketch and clearly marked on the given and resolved info.

But would i not be resolving the velocity into vertical and horizontal components and use the vertical component?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
But would i not be resolving the velocity into vertical and horizontal components and use the vertical component?

Why are you using the vertical component?
As in the previous post, try and sketch what youre given and what you resolve/suvats you need to use.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Why are you using the vertical component?
As in the previous post, try and sketch what youre given and what you resolve/suvats you need to use.

I thought I would use vertical component because that is the direction the projectile is accelerating and there are no forces acting horizontally? (I think that’s what my physics teacher said) but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to sketch? I’ve got acceleration, initial velocity and final velocity but I thought we can just use speed=distance* time to work it out? Thanks!
Reply 5
I thought I would use vertical component because that is the direction the projectile is accelerating and there are no forces acting horizontally? (I think that’s what my physics teacher said) but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to sketch? I’ve got acceleration, initial velocity and final velocity but I thought we can just use speed=distance* time to work it out? Thanks!

Tbh, its slightly unusual the way the question is asked, however I guess thats the purpose of the question. Youre given the time T, you know the velocity (speed) in the horizontal direction, so R = ...

"Normal" questions usually dont give you the time T and you have to work this out from the vertical motion, so the time to s=0 (vertically). However, its given here.

If you did sketch/analyse the vertical motion, what would you be finding? But if you sketched/analysed the horizontal motion, it must be clear how simple the solution is? But gotta admire the way you passed the buck up to your teacher.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Thank you!!

R is a horizontal distance so we need the horizontal velocity

Quick Reply

Latest