The Student Room Group

Devide

Hello,

Could anyone explain how to devide the easiest way this example please? 48.96 ÷0.06
Reply 1
Original post by Katarzyna1982
Hello,

Could anyone explain how to devide the easiest way this example please? 48.96 ÷0.06

Make them both integers by mutliplying both by 100 (get rid of the decimal points), then its a straightfoward division.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Make them both integers by mutliplying both by 100 (get rid of the decimal points), then its a straightfoward division.

I know that you know that you only need to make the divider an integer but in this case both become integers.
The OP might think, from what you wrote, that both need to be integers.
Reply 3
Hello,

For me, the "easiest way" would be to use a calculator :smile:

So you probably wanted to say that you're trying to do this calculation manually, in which case make the denominator as simple as possible - multiplying by 100 will turn that awkward looking 0.06 into a '6' and then you have to multiply the numerator by the same number (100) so that you're not changing the value of the fraction before you do the division.
Original post by davros
For me, the "easiest way" would be to use a calculator :smile:

So you probably wanted to say that you're trying to do this calculation manually, in which case make the denominator as simple as possible - multiplying by 100 will turn that awkward looking 0.06 into a '6' and then you have to multiply the numerator by the same number (100) so that you're not changing the value of the fraction before you do the division.

This particular example is surely easier to do mentally than to bother reaching for a calculator.
Reply 5
Original post by _Boomerang
This particular example is surely easier to do mentally than to bother reaching for a calculator.

well we all have our off days - especially those of us who are not getting any younger :smile:

I love practising my mental arithmetic, but if I have to divide decimals in a "real" situation then I'll normally be using a spreadsheet or something to avoid stupid errors (my brain will still tell me if the answer is a "reasonable" size, so I'm mentally checking that I haven't mistyped the digits or the position of a decimal point or something daft!)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766

We aren't 'getting rid of the decimal points' - they are still there. What we are doing is making the denominator an integer.

Decimal points do not move - the digits do - this is an important aspect of learning in primary
Original post by davros
well we all have our off days - especially those of us who are not getting any younger :smile:

I love practising my mental arithmetic, but if I have to divide decimals in a "real" situation then I'll normally be using a spreadsheet or something to avoid stupid errors (my brain will still tell me if the answer is a "reasonable" size, so I'm mentally checking that I haven't mistyped the digits or the position of a decimal point or something daft!)

I certainly know what you mean there. I suspect that my arithmetic is at its lowest point in forty years.

Who is getting younger? Billionaires taking the blood of their children?
Reply 8
Hello,

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest