The Student Room Group

Computer Science in aston or UWE Bristol

I am an Electronics engineer and would like to apply for a master's degree in computer science or information technology.
But a little bit confused about what university should I go.
Which one is better Aston or UWE Bristol or Bournemouth.
Thank you for your help
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by soum12
I am an Electronics engineer and would like to apply for a master's degree in computer science or information technology.
But a little bit confused about what university should I go.
Which one is better Aston or UWE Bristol or Bournemouth.
Thank you for your help

Strictly speaking, as you have a background in engineering (I presume you have a degree in it as well), you are more or less eligible to go to any uni that offers computer science as a master's degree (you might not be eligible for advanced computer science though).

I think the more appropriate question is which unis have you looked so far and why did you picked those unis above? They're fine unis by the way, but they're not the only ones offering MSc CS or IT.
Reply 2
Can you explain why you said I might not be eligible for advanced computer science ?
The reason why I picked those universities above is the low fee of study that offers compared to others.
Could you advise me unis with low budget ?
Thank you for your time.

Original post by MindMax2000
Strictly speaking, as you have a background in engineering (I presume you have a degree in it as well), you are more or less eligible to go to any uni that offers computer science as a master's degree (you might not be eligible for advanced computer science though).

I think the more appropriate question is which unis have you looked so far and why did you picked those unis above? They're fine unis by the way, but they're not the only ones offering MSc CS or IT.
Original post by soum12
Can you explain why you said I might not be eligible for advanced computer science ?
The reason why I picked those universities above is the low fee of study that offers compared to others.
Thank you for your time.

Advanced computer science degrees are degrees that build on what people have learned in their CS/Maths undergrads. If you haven't done an undergrad that has a lot of CS content, then you're not likely to be eligible. Having said that, this depends on the individual degree course.
See the following for example:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-advanced-computer-science - CS or maths undergrad
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/degrees/5178f/ - undergrad with significant computing component, which can include engineering
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/taught/computer-science/advanced-computer-science.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab - computing or a closely related discipline.

Unfortunately I don't know of any from the top of my head. Can I confirm whether you're eligible for Student Finance in the UK? If you are, then you should be able to get student loan to fund your MSc without much concern for how you can fund your degree. Unless you specifically want a degree with low tuition fees to avoid the student debt, then I would advise to look for a degree that you would more to your liking.
Do also note that you can sometimes get scholarships and access to bursaries to help fund your degree as well.

If you need me to help you look for degrees with low tuition fees, let me know.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
Advanced computer science degrees are degrees that build on what people have learned in their CS/Maths undergrads. If you haven't done an undergrad that has a lot of CS content, then you're not likely to be eligible. Having said that, this depends on the individual degree course.
See the following for example:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-advanced-computer-science - CS or maths undergrad
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/postgraduate/degrees/5178f/ - undergrad with significant computing component, which can include engineering
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/taught/computer-science/advanced-computer-science.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab - computing or a closely related discipline.

Unfortunately I don't know of any from the top of my head. Can I confirm whether you're eligible for Student Finance in the UK? If you are, then you should be able to get student loan to fund your MSc without much concern for how you can fund your degree. Unless you specifically want a degree with low tuition fees to avoid the student debt, then I would advise to look for a degree that you would more to your liking.
Do also note that you can sometimes get scholarships and access to bursaries to help fund your degree as well.

If you need me to help you look for degrees with low tuition fees, let me know.

Thank you for your offer to help. Yes, I'm interested. Can you please provide me with more information?
Original post by soum12
Thank you for your offer to help. Yes, I'm interested. Can you please provide me with more information?

Whilst you can get a loan for your master's if it's your first master's degree i.e. you should be able to apply for any master's degree if you meet the requirements, I can also look for degrees that meet your financial requirements. What's the max tuition you are willing to pay for?

In terms of your background:
If you did an undergrad degree, what was the degree in and how much programming/IT content did you cover? Would you be comfortable putting together a piece of software for example?
If you did not do an undergrad degree, what level of programming and computing knowledge do you have?
Do note that if you say that you are proficient in certain computing skills but you don't have any paperwork to prove it, you would need to be able to demonstrate your programming knowledge and skills during an interview or test for your application.

Personal requirements:
Are you restricted by geography? Do you need to be within X miles of a specific location due to personal circumstances e.g. family?
Can you study full time or are you only looking for part time offers?
What sort of CS degree are you looking for i.e. content, accreditation, etc.?
What's the reason for doing the master's? What do you intend to do after the degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending