The Student Room Group

Universities

Hello everyone i just had an question about if any university does accept Btec Certificates applied science with no other sciences and with btec health and social care and alevel psychology if i want to study optometry.
And if you know any information about any universities that does accept it could you please share with me
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by khadijah12
Hello everyone i just had an question about if any university does accept Btec Certificates applied science with no other sciences and with btec health and social care and alevel psychology if i want to study optometry.
And if you know any information about any universities that does accept it could you please share with me
Thank you

they can still take you check Queen Mary, City Uni of London, London South Bank Uni etc they accept BTEC
Original post by khadijah12
Thank you

The following universities would not accept your qualifications for their Optometry degree:

Anglia Ruskin University: "BTEC qualifications are not accepted for entry to this course." (details)
Aston University: "National Extended Certificate | Distinction (D) | With this BTEC you must achieve grade BB in two A Level science subjects from: Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Physics." (details)
University of Bradford: "BTEC Extended Diploma | Applied Science. DDD. Only accepted if combined with a pure Science A level minimum grade B." (details)
Cardiff University: "We do not accept BTECs for this programme." (details)
City, University of London: "BTEC: DDD Applied Science or Medical Science or Biomedical Science in addition to one or two grades B from Biology, Maths or Physics A-level" (details)
Glasgow Caledonian University: "BTEC: D*DD Ext Dip (Science/Applied Science)" (details)
University of Hertfordshire: "BTEC Extended Diploma with a science profile (not including early years or health and social care): DDD. (Must be science based subject to include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science) PLUS 1 A level maths or biology at minimum grade B." (details)
University of Huddersfield: "DDM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science combined with a Science A Level in Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry, minimum grade B. Or DDM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care combined with a Science A Level in Mathematics, Physics, Biology or Chemistry, minimum grade B." (details)
University of the Highlands and Islands: (no mention of BTECs at all) (details)
University of Manchester: "We do not consider the National Extended Certificate for entry onto this course as a single qualification. Applicants undertaking a National Extended Certificate must achieve D alongside 2 science A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics) at grades AA." (details)
University of Plymouth: (they only list details for "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma/National Extended Diploma" and "BTEC Level 3 Diploma/National Diploma") (details)
Ulster University: "RQF Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science (2016 Suite) | Award profile D | acceptable in conjunction with two A-levels at grades AB, to include one science A-level from Biology, Physics and Mathematics." (details)

I can't really work out whether UWE Bristol would accept those qualifications. What they have to say here is:

"EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: You will need a minimum of ten units across two subjects from Maths, Use of Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Human Biology, Applied Science or Psychology. You may be asked to do more based on the size of your units. Please list the units you are studying in your application. For further advice on acceptable units, please email us. We do not accept BTEC qualifications in Sport (Performance and Excellence), Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness), or Sport and Exercise Science."

Their use of the word "Diploma" is worrying, but then then say "across two subjects". (Very few candidates would have two BTEC Level 3 National Diplomas - as that would be equivalent of four A levels.) So perhaps their misusing the word "Diploma"? Immediately below the above is a link to their minimum entry requirements page, but even that isn't terribly clear. I suggest you contact UWE Bristol and ask them directly whether your qualifications would be accepted for their BSc(Hons) Optometry degree.

That's about it I'm afraid. I'm not aware of any other UK universities which offer degrees in Optometry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending