The Student Room Group

Going to uni with my boyfriend

Are there any cities which have two universities- one with higher and one with lower grade requirements?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
initial ones that spring to mind

-Newcastle/Northumberland
-Leeds/Trinity/Beckett
-Liverpool/John Moores/Hope
-Manchester/Manchester Met
-Nottingham/Trent
-Birmingham and Aston/CBU
-Bristol/UWE
-Bath/Bath Spa
-Cambridge/ARU
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Rowanthepotato
I'm a high achieving student (predicted A*A*A*A) and my partner is predicted lower grades (BDE) so he'll be taking a gap year and applying when he has his a-level results.
I intend to go to either Oxford or York to study Linguistics so that he can attend Oxford Brookes or York St Johns for their Business Management courses as it's very unlikely he'll achieve the necessary grades for a Russel Group (but fingers crossed!).

Are there any other cities which have two universities- one higher ranked and one with lower grade requirements - that would work well for our situation? And regarding accomodation, what is the best solution so that we could live together?

Here you go:

Southampton and Solent
Surrey and Roehampton
Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin
Oxford and Brookes
UCL and King’s
Leeds and Leeds Beckett
Manchester and Man Met/Salford Uni
Birmingham and Aston/Birmingham City
Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores
Warwick and Coventry
Nottingham and Trent Uni

I suggest that you focus on Oxford. Good luck
Reply 3
warwick and coventry uni are in the same area, london has several so i wont even list them, southampton and solent, and basically every other major area will have its good unis and its less good ones, you just need to look for like 5-10 minutes trust me
Original post by Wired_1800
Here you go:

Southampton and Solent
Surrey and Roehampton
Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin
Oxford and Brookes
UCL and King’s
Leeds and Leeds Beckett
Manchester and Man Met/Salford Uni
Birmingham and Aston/Birmingham City
Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores
Warwick and Coventry
Nottingham and Trent Uni

I suggest that you focus on Oxford. Good luck

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by pinkmorpho
warwick and coventry uni are in the same area, london has several so i wont even list them, southampton and solent, and basically every other major area will have its good unis and its less good ones, you just need to look for like 5-10 minutes trust me

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 6
I'm a high achieving student (predicted A*A*A*A) and my partner is predicted lower grades (BDE) so he'll be taking a gap year and applying when he has his a-level results.
I intend to go to either Oxford or York to study Linguistics so that he can attend Oxford Brookes or York St Johns for their Business Management courses as it's very unlikely he'll achieve the necessary grades for a Russel Group (but fingers crossed!).

Are there any other cities which have two universities- one higher ranked and one with lower grade requirements - that would work well for our situation? And regarding accomodation, what is the best solution so that we could live together?

Hi I take it this is for the 2024 start?
I would search with the lower gradings first to see what uni your b/f can go to.
So ive checked on what uni website and put in his grades. You will still need to check out something for you through the unis I mentioned.
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=business&score=0,80
1) university college birmingham for b/f /university of birmingham for you.
2)UWE bristol business management with foundation year for b/f/Bristol Uni for you.
3)university of kent foundation year for b/f/ University of kent same uni
4)liverpool hope foundation year/ University of Liverpool
5)Solent uni foundation year/ southampton for you
6)York st john foundation year/ York university for you
7)oxford brooks foundation year/Oxford
8)manchester met/ Manchester uni
9)leeds trinity foundation/ Leeds
10)warwick college/Warwick uni
Original post by Ghostlady
I would search with the lower gradings first to see what uni your b/f can go to.
So ive checked on what uni website and put in his grades. You will still need to check out something for you through the unis I mentioned.
2)UWE bristol business management with foundation year for b/f/Bristol Uni for you.

i think you would think about Coventry more so for this one. They are on different sides of Coventry but I knew of a few Coventry students living with Warwick students near the centre.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Also just to add as well if you are going to be living together, perhaps private halls would be a good way to go. Im sure things will work out, but should for what ever reason they dont, you have your own room and your own privacy. If this is the first time you are living together, this way is a good arrangement to see how things go, rather than being tied in for a whole year in a studio with one bedroom.
Original post by Ghostlady

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by _gcx
i think you would think about Coventry more so for this one. They are on different sides of Coventry but I knew of a few Coventry students living with Warwick students near the centre.

If its geographically close I cant see why not coventry and warwick :smile:
Are there any cities which have two universities- one with higher and one with lower grade requirements?

Hi there
Different courses have different requirement grades at universities. What courses are you thinking of doing?
Thanks
Emily
Reply 12
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there
Different courses have different requirement grades at universities. What courses are you thinking of doing?
Thanks
Emily

Read the thread - all will be revealed.(This is also 4 months old, why are you bumping it when the query ahs been satisfactorily answered?)
Original post by gjd800
Read the thread - all will be revealed.(This is also 4 months old, why are you bumping it when the query ahs been satisfactorily answered?)

Hi there @gjd800
After reading the thread and pondering the question at hand, I found myself relating to this person’s dilemma as when I was finding a uni I had a similar problem. After not finding out what they wanted to study I decided I would ask as this would of really helped me give further advice. As I am a rep for Manchester Met and this was a concern regarding university, even though this post was four months ago, I really thought my experience in this field would still aid this TSR user.
Best wishes
Emily <3
Reply 14
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there @gjd800
After reading the thread and pondering the question at hand, I found myself relating to this person’s dilemma as when I was finding a uni I had a similar problem. After not finding out what they wanted to study I decided I would ask as this would of really helped me give further advice. As I am a rep for Manchester Met and this was a concern regarding university, even though this post was four months ago, I really thought my experience in this field would still aid this TSR user.
Best wishes
Emily <3

The question was answered, the thread is old. There's no need to bump old threads (and it is against the rules...)

Your queries were answered in the thread itself.
(edited 4 months ago)
I agree, there was no need to bump this unless the OP had left it until the last minute to apply, (unlikely because they started getting offers last month).

Since we're here anyway, I am surprised no one said Leicester, (both DeMonfort and Uni of Leicester itself). Although how much difference there is between their actual accepted grades these days is arguable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending