The Student Room Group

Will you feel British without the monarchy?

First, I must say that even though I am a British citizen I have lived in Norway most of my life. In Norway, the royal family is - with a few exceptions - not as melodramatic as the British royal family. In a sense they have followed Elizabeth's philosophy, without appearing as elevated and apart from normal people as she did at times. In some ways, the British and the Norwegian royal family are opposites. Still, even if I have nothing against the Norwegian royal family - and I do think that king Harald has done a very good job - I am not a monarchist. The reason for this is that I think that the system is too dependent on people like him. We can't expect this to work in the long run. However, the royal family is very popular in Norway, and as long as a majority of people want it, the monarchy will remain. But if it were to vanish, I do not think Norway would change that much.

Now to my point. Britain has built their image on queens like Elizabeth the first and Victoria, the royal family is a the center of British history and much of the literature in every sense. So, what do you think? If the monarchy were to be replaced by some other system, whatever that might be (not important in this context) will the UK still BE the UK? Will you still feel British?

This is a question from a curious outsider, a distant student of British history, not really a critique.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by michaelhw
First, I must say that even though I am a British citizen I have lived in Norway most of my life. In Norway, the royal family is - with a few exceptions - not as melodramatic as the British royal family. In a sense they have followed Elizabeth's philosophy, without appearing as elevated and apart from normal people as she did at times. In some ways, the British and the Norwegian royal family are opposites. Still, even if I have nothing against the Norwegian royal family - and I do think that king Harald has done a very good job - I am not a monarchist. The reason for this is that I think that the system is too dependent on people like him. We can't expect this to work in the long run. However, the royal family is very popular in Norway, and as long as a majority of people want it, the monarchy will remain. But if it were to vanish, I do not think Norway would change that much.

Now to my point. Britain has built their image on queens like Elizabeth the first and Victoria, the royal family is a the center of British history and much of the literature in every sense. So, what do you think? If the monarchy were to be replaced by some other system, whatever that might be (not important in this context) will the UK still BE the UK? Will you still feel British?

This is a question from a curious outsider, a distant student of British history, not really a critique.

I would still feel British - I never really felt any connection to the Monarchy, since I feel like it acts as a reminder of our bad history. Recently, the monarchy tend to get in the news when its bad - the whole prince harry thing, the queen’s aide being racist (https://time.com/6237769/queen-aide-resigns-meghan-markle/), prince andrew
Reply 2
Of course, Britain would be just as British even if our head of state was no longer a descendant of a minor German noble house.
Reply 3
Normally, I don't give a **** about what royals do, but now i am looking at yet another hate article against megan and harry in the news. Either some very crucial piece of information has been supressed, or the whole thing is completely irrational. So the press can either cough up the incrimnating information or stop the irrational news coverage. The news coverage has gone way beyond normal.
(edited 6 months ago)
Yes I would still feel British
The monarchy is irrelevant to me, they may as well be the Kardashians.

Lots of countries have abolished monarchies, and people of those countries still feel French, Chinese, Russian or whatever the case may be. I don't see why Britain would be any different.
Reply 6
Sure, I couldn't give two figs about the royals.
Reply 7
It would be rather different i have to admit. Maybe just the way i grew up with private school and so on but Queen and country was still a big part of it. Cant say itll be the destruction of my sense of self but it would certainly be an adjustment losing the one constant to our culture.

I would still feel British, I dont think abt the monarchy unless theres something massive happening. It would be weird of having no monarchy but it's not like im going to question my existence or be upset
Reply 9
Original post by TomokoRainMaker
I would still feel British, I dont think abt the monarchy unless theres something massive happening. It would be weird of having no monarchy but it's not like im going to question my existence or be upset

I have a degree in british nineteenth century literature. And I am interested in history. But all this is a lost world, before PCs, internet, even votes for women. A world of class, privilige etc. But th eculture, the books, the music, many iconic things considered British., from Sherlock Holmes to many of teh great plays, use royalty or royal issues as a setting. Even the tribes of the amazon have heard about english kings or sherlock holmes. So then re-branding would be needed. And that is not done overnight. Norway became independent in 1905, and that was the first king in many hundreds of years. There is no nobility in norway. Potatoes and fish have been what people thought about, mostly. That is why i am asking.
I’d definitely be less embarrassed to be British if we got rid of them. Can we give back the Crown Jewels too?
Nobody ever said I’m not going to visit Versailles because of the French Revolution etc. so I wouldn’t worry about the effect of a lack of monarchy on tourism.
Reply 11
Never mind, i made a comment and deleted it.
(edited 4 months ago)
No I would not feel British. As the royal family is Britain. They are brand Britain and is who we look to when times are hard. just look at the COVID lock-downs when the queen at her lowest after loosing Philip she inspired hope through her 'well meet again' speech (A nod to the late Vera Lynn l). Now this may be because i am a monarchist, but they embody everything that Britain means, continuity, strength, stoicism and hope for the future while respecting the traditions prevalent though out the entirety of British history, and whilst yes this may be seen as archaic, and whilst i respect that there are calls from pressure groups such as republic for the abolition of the monarchy which dose have some public support. it is there presence in British society that truly puts the Great in Great Britain

Cost to the public**
The monarchy is seen to cost the average relay it is only £1.29 per person (In the Uk contextually this is a pint of milk) of this 77p comes from the core grant. The remining 52p coms form the reservicing of Buckingham palace (contextually this is 4 bananas and one packet of Tesco own brand custard creams) respectively so not a lot considering that the crown estate is a collection of properties worth £14.4 billion that is held the name of the crown, the intangible title held by the government, meaning it is actually held in the name of the people who benefit most from this, more on this later though. The crown estate is comprised of everything from the land on which a McDonalds is built to offshore wind farms and the historical Ascot racetrack. As specified earlier the profits from the crown estate are what fund the sovereign grant with currently 25% of the profits going to the royal family and the rest of the surplus a 75% will go back into the treasury and thus, the economy so by pure definition whilst the royal family cost £1.29 per person the actual benefit from the monarchy is £3.85.**

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending