The Student Room Group

Can you recommend some British movies that you like?

It would be even better if it's a suspense or romantic love story. I really enjoy British movies, such as The King's Speech and Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express. But I have a superficial understanding of them. I want to know what kind of movies British students like so that I can make a better list of movies. If you could recommend me some movies you like, I would be very grateful to you.
And I am a foreign university student, currently majoring in Stomatology. Due to factors such as the curriculum system, I am unable to study in the UK. And my English is not very good, but I really want to learn about some British culture. By chance, I discovered this website and I think it's a great opportunity for me to learn about the UK, so I wrote down this question. If there are any non compliances or offenses in the above content, please allow me to apologize to you. If you are willing to share your movie list with me.
Thank you to all those who have the patience to read here.
Reply 1
The Man in the White Suit with Alec Guinness was great
Brighton Rock with Attenburrough in the lead was great noir
I also like Asquith's version of A Doctor Dillemma by shaw with a dashing young Bogarde.
There are many great Hammer movies with Lee and Cushing, take your pick
Without a Clue with Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley. US director, but british actors
Ghandi with Kingsley
The original House of cards series was british, queer as folk as well.
There is a great now forgotten spy series called Palfrey of Westminister
The Ethel Lina White story The Wheel Spins was filmed in the thirties by Hitchcock as The Lady Vanishes. But Hammer made a great version that bankrupted their studio I think in the seventies - in color. That is the best version. But they use american actors.
Night Train to Munich was a great old thriller, by Carol Reed
The thirty nine steps with Robert Powell is the best version of the buchan story
yes minister with paul eddington (the script is a literary master piece) and Absolute Power with stephen fry are great
A brilliant police comedy is The Detectives also with Robert Powell.
A very unique newer comedy is Hot Fuzz from 2007..
Then Caine in his classics Harry Palmer films and Get Carter (which has a great soundtrack!!)
I don't think you will find a better black/white cinematography in British cinema than you see in Lean's version of Oliver Twist.

This should be enough to google :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
What do you mean by British? Filmed here, or a British production company or an all British cast?
Original post by Xiao Zhou
It would be even better if it's a suspense or romantic love story. I really enjoy British movies, such as The King's Speech and Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express. But I have a superficial understanding of them. I want to know what kind of movies British students like so that I can make a better list of movies. If you could recommend me some movies you like, I would be very grateful to you.
And I am a foreign university student, currently majoring in Stomatology. Due to factors such as the curriculum system, I am unable to study in the UK. And my English is not very good, but I really want to learn about some British culture. By chance, I discovered this website and I think it's a great opportunity for me to learn about the UK, so I wrote down this question. If there are any non compliances or offenses in the above content, please allow me to apologize to you. If you are willing to share your movie list with me.

Movies that i would recommend are:
Just my luck
Matilda
Madeline
The italian job
Reply 4
1917 (2019)
Dunkirk (2017)
Tinker Tailor Solder Spy (2011)
This is England (2006)
Sexy Beast (2000)
Face (1997)
The English Patient (1996)
The Firm (1988)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Hellraiser (1987)
Brazil (1985)
The Hit (1984)
The Company of Wolves (1984)
Educating Rita (1983)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
The Long Good Friday (1980)
Man Friday (1975)
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
The Wicker Man (1973)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Straw Dogs (1971)
Walkabout (1971)
Waterloo (1970)
Cromwell (1970)
If... (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1968)
The Ipcress File (1965)
Zulu (1964)
Dr. No (1962)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Third Man (1949)
Original post by noggins
1917 (2019)
Dunkirk (2017)
This is England (2006)
Sexy Beast (2000)
Face (1997)
The Firm (1988)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Hellraiser (1987)
Brazil (1985)
The Hit (1984)
Educating Rita (1983)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
Man Friday (1975)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Straw Dogs (1971)
Walkabout (1971)
Waterloo (1970)
Cromwell (1970)
If... (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1968)
The Ipcress File (1965)
Zulu (1964)
Dr. No (1962)
The Third Man (1949)

You named three films I was pleased with. Another one - and maybe my favorite one - is Ghandi with Ben Kingsley.
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
You named three films I was pleased with. Another one - and maybe my favorite one - is Ghandi with Ben Kingsley.

Haha, I still haven't got around to seeing that film yet. It's been on my watchlist for ages by this point >_<
Original post by noggins
Haha, I still haven't got around to seeing that film yet. It's been on my watchlist for ages by this point >_<

It is a very authentic and well portrayed biopic of the real Ghandi. A sin for everyone who miss this film.

Hi there! It's wonderful to hear about your interest in captivating and romantic films. I appreciate your love for British cinema, especially citing noteworthy films like "The King's Speech" and "Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express." Those are indeed excellent choices, and I understand your desire to explore more.
As a fellow film enthusiast and considering your interest in romantic or suspenseful stories, I would recommend diving into some classic British romance films such as "Notting Hill" or "Pride and Prejudice." If you enjoy a touch of mystery with your romance, "Sherlock Holmes" adaptations or "Downton Abbey" might be right up your alley.
Given your circumstances as an international dental student with limited opportunities to study in the UK, exploring British cinema is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the culture. Your commitment to learning English and your curiosity about British culture is truly commendable. Don't worry about any language limitations; the important thing is your enthusiasm for cultural exploration.
If you have any specific preferences or genres you'd like recommendations for, feel free to let me know, and I'd be happy to tailor my suggestions further. Enjoy your cinematic journey, and feel free to ask if you have more questions or need additional recommendations. Cheers! And if you want to experience something new, you can watch some more movies here
Has anyone seen Kes (1969)? Great British film with representations of the north of England.
Reply 10
Original post by CCCU Official
Has anyone seen Kes (1969)? Great British film with representations of the north of England.

Yes, more than once, but not for about ten years now. I did consider adding it to my favourites list. A very touching subject matter with some superb performances from what I recollect.

Just my luck
The pin cushion
Original post by noggins
1917 (2019)
Dunkirk (2017)
This is England (2006)
Sexy Beast (2000)
Face (1997)
The Firm (1988)
Mona Lisa (1986)
Hellraiser (1987)
Brazil (1985)
The Hit (1984)
Educating Rita (1983)
Chariots of Fire (1981)
Man Friday (1975)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Straw Dogs (1971)
Walkabout (1971)
Waterloo (1970)
Cromwell (1970)
If... (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1968)
The Ipcress File (1965)
Zulu (1964)
Dr. No (1962)
The Third Man (1949)

You can add The Gentlemen (2019) to your list. It is an entertaining and so underrating film which I just watched again.
Trainspotting and This is England will offer you a great insight into British culture.

Quick Reply

Latest