The Student Room Group

I don’t know what degree to do

:smile:)))))
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Maybe do psych and then grad med but that route is a bit long as well
What about law the lnat may have closed thou...
or a social worker idk how much they make
you probably shouldnt do medicine no definitely shouldnt if its only about the money doctors dont make that much
Original post by ldtr7x
I do Psychology, English Lit + Lang (combined) and Health and Social, I want a job that’ll earn a lot which makes me regret not going down the medicine route but I absolutely despised science. I was thinking about doing Psychology but it doesn’t earn a lot and it takes ages to actually become a psychologist which means I’ll have to extremely passionate about it and I don’t think I could do 10 years of waiting to be one. Any help please on what degree??

Well, STEM and non-STEM careers have equivalent job and salary outcomes in the long run so your degree subject isn't really going to make a difference there: https://figshare.le.ac.uk/articles/report/The_employment_trajectories_of_Science_Technology_Engineering_and_Mathematics_graduates/10234421

Also worth noting if you don't like science you probably won't enjoy psychology, as in any psychology degree there is a good amount of scientific content. Just do something you are interested in (English lit, anthropology, Sanskrit, whatever) as generalist grad schemes don't actually care what subject you did. You could just as well go into investment banking, accountancy, the media, legal training contracts, the civil service, generalist "business" related positions and so on, with literally any degree subject. Several of which out-earn medicine in the short and long run anyway (also judging medicine on a purely monetary reason is quite dumb, honestly - the doctors aren't all striking for nothing. It's well known that the real wages of doctors have been cut over the last 10 years and it's not a career you go into if all you care about is having a McMansion and fancy sports car).
You have pretty much closed off the science route without having Biology or Chemistry and without maths options like engineering or architecture or economics will also be a no-go. As above, law seems the best route.
Original post by ldtr7x
I do Psychology, English Lit + Lang (combined) and Health and Social, I want a job that’ll earn a lot which makes me regret not going down the medicine route but I absolutely despised science. I was thinking about doing Psychology but it doesn’t earn a lot and it takes ages to actually become a psychologist which means I’ll have to extremely passionate about it and I don’t think I could do 10 years of waiting to be one. Any help please on what degree??

With your subject choices, speech and language therapy is a good fit:

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/speech-and-language-therapist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending