The Student Room Group

irrelevant thread
(edited 3 months ago)
Forget about the grades for a minute. Think about which of these courses and universities you prefer and think that you’ll thrive in?

All the universities you’ve listed are similar in terms of “reputation” so choosing one over another based on them asking for higher grades is silly.

History courses vary hugely in content between universities - finding the best fit for your interests is more important than anything else
Original post by PQ
Forget about the grades for a minute. Think about which of these courses and universities you prefer and think that you’ll thrive in?

All the universities you’ve listed are similar in terms of “reputation” so choosing one over another based on them asking for higher grades is silly.

History courses vary hugely in content between universities - finding the best fit for your interests is more important than anything else

This! If a uni is within 5 places of another uni you won't get a much higher prestige unless it's the T5. At the end of the day your studying there for 3 years and you should pick the best overall experience for you and as long as the uni is T20 or T10 you will be fine whatever uni you chose and if you really want to be safe pick a Russel group uni and your doubly fine.
Original post by shadowblades
This! If a uni is within 5 places of another uni you won't get a much higher prestige unless it's the T5. At the end of the day your studying there for 3 years and you should pick the best overall experience for you and as long as the uni is T20 or T10 you will be fine whatever uni you chose and if you really want to be safe pick a Russel group uni and your doubly fine.

RG is generally unhelpful and irrelevant for undergraduate studies. In fact that research focus often means resources, funding and staff time focusing away from teaching. 20% of research activity costs are cross subsidised by tuition fees.
Original post by PQ

RG is generally unhelpful and irrelevant for undergraduate studies. In fact that research focus often means resources, funding and staff time focusing away from teaching. 20% of research activity costs are cross subsidised by tuition fees.

Yeah this is true I was just saying because he was worried about prestige so being Russel group naturally comes with prestige. Personally it doesn't matter as much to me and like you said that means resources pulled away from teaching where in lower ranked unis they can afford to have good teachers rather than researchers so it could end up being a downside
Original post by inaaraa
i’m predicted ABC and wanted to apply to ABB, do you think theyd let me in?? im applying history/ history and ancient history. i have A in history, B in econ and C in maths.
nottingham require ABB but lower to ABC for A in epq
Liverpool require ABB but lower to BBB with A in epq (and apparently they are quite lenient and give places with a grade below)
Exeter uni say AAB-ABB but lower requirements to BBB for A in epq - are they known for being lenient with grades?

idk how many ABB’s which lower requirments to BBB/ABC i should do because like what if i dont get the A in epq lol.
i’ve looked at other unis like royal holloway and cardiff which are around BBB-BBC which i think i could get into.
please help me :frown:

Hi there,

I'm glad to see that you are interested in applying for the University of Liverpool. With those grades you have a good chance of getting an offer given you are only a grade off, though this isn't guaranteed. Often in these cases it would also depend on the strength of your personal statement, references and also the number of applicants and/or the expected capacity for the course that year.

I would advise you to apply for Universities with a range of grades, this way you have different scenarios covered.

Best of luck 🙂

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

yeah i understand the most important thing is finding a course and uni i know i'll really like, my main concern was just if it was likely if i'd get into unis that ask for ABB with my grades, but thanks for your response x
Reply 7
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I'm glad to see that you are interested in applying for the UNiversity of Liverpool. With those grades you have a good change of getting an offer, though this isn't guaranteed.

I would advise you to apply for Universities with a range of grades, this way you have different scenarios covered.

Best of luck 🙂

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

hello, thank you that gives me hope thank you for replying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending