The Student Room Group

A

n/a
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Prettyife
I live in a house with my friend, our bills were £30 each for the month , she got a small heater which she turns on all day even when she’s not home as well as a bed heater that’s on all night . On top of this she switches on the big heater as well, this has caused our bills to double up. I don’t know how to explain that she needs to reduce it as you don’t need the big house heater on when she has one in her room as well as a bed one. She’s my friend and I don’t want it to be awkward, but at the same time I don’t want our bills to be racked up due to one persons mistake, she says she doesn’t mind the bills going up because she works but doesn’t take in to account the other 3 people living in the house that don’t . How do I tell her this or do I just let it happen and pay the bills like a mug ?? I really don’t wsnt it to affect our friendship.

Might be worth picking on the heater with the worst running costs and asking her to do something about that.

e.g. if by bed heater you mean some sort of electric blanket, those are actually quite low power, 40 or 70W - less than 40p for an 8 hour night. If she chucked
that in the bin you realistically wouldn't see the monthly bill come down much.

space heaters (i.e. portable room heaters) are more of a disaster if she's leaving them on when she's out of the house - If you can't persuade her to only use it when she's in the room she can get a plug in time switch for less than 5 pounds that'll turn it on for instance 1 hour before she gets back home in the evening.
Original post by Prettyife
I live in a house with my friend, our bills were £30 each for the month , she got a small heater which she turns on all day even when she’s not home as well as a bed heater that’s on all night . On top of this she switches on the big heater as well, this has caused our bills to double up. I don’t know how to explain that she needs to reduce it as you don’t need the big house heater on when she has one in her room as well as a bed one. She’s my friend and I don’t want it to be awkward, but at the same time I don’t want our bills to be racked up due to one persons mistake, she says she doesn’t mind the bills going up because she works but doesn’t take in to account the other 3 people living in the house that don’t . How do I tell her this or do I just let it happen and pay the bills like a mug ?? I really don’t wsnt it to affect our friendship.

Hi @Prettyife,

I don't think that it's very fair on your behalf for you to be paying extra house expenses that are not from your share. If it's impacting your finances, it's only fair that you reach out to her and suggest that she pay the surplus that covers her extra portion of the heaters. Obviously try to approach her in a calm and composed manner, and preferably talk to her on your own first.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending