The Student Room Group

Societal norms around the age of consent.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Its there to stop young children being taken advantage of, hence why Japan is raising theirs. After all, its a well known fact many kids become sexually active before then and they certainly aren't going to be brought up on charges because of it.

Equally, no one would have called you a ***** for dating a 17 year old, morally dubious maybe but thats up to whomever holds said opinion. Then again, i see no particular issue with labelling an adult preying on teenagers as a pervert. a 20 year old doesn't really count but it does raise certain questions on why a university student feels the need to associate with school kids.
16 seems reasonable in UK - so many freedoms come at 16. I wouldn't oppose people who want other freedoms to be reduced from 18 to 16. If someone wanted to reduce age of consent - ick but well, wouldn't shut it down immediately.

I would find it rude to call an adult going for 16-17yo to hookup with, as a "pervert". In fact if they were harshly criticised for it I could consider it verbal harassment against them. If many of the older teens want older hookups and the older ones go for younger, I guess it makes a perfect match.
Reply 22
law should be more transparent and reflective of how things works in practise, similar to Canada where the age of consent is 16 but with 'close in age' exceptions (2-5 yrs depending on age of the teenager, so long as the older person is not in a position of authority or trust and there is no exploitation or dependency) cuz that's generally how it works around here, too. as link at comment #20 explained, cps is not in the business of unnecessarily criminalising teenagers who willingly have sex with each other; consensual sexual activity between, for example, a 14 or 15 yr old and a teenage partner would not normally require criminal proceedings in the absence of aggravating features (cps guidelines). criminal charges between teenagers, then, would be the exception, not the rule. age of consent law is more about prosecuting fully-blown adults who manipulate those 15 and under for their sexual pleasure. additional sources available upon request.

as per the op, 'the law says 16', yep. but just cuz something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea; notice that until 1991 a man forcing sex onto his wife was considered legal. can think of all kinds of arguably immoral behaviour that law allows for including cheating on your spouse, alcoholism, over eating, overdosing, gambling your savings away, negligently spreading stds. so this whole 'well it's not illegal so it's okay and people can't judge me' typical of 35 yr old virgins on reddit who fantasise that teenagers fancy them is a weak argument cuz, for the most part, the average person is as free to be as immoral as they like, legally speaking.*

similarly, just because something is illegal doesn't mean it must be immoral; notice that not too long ago (yr 2000) a 16 yr old boy could consent to sex with a 16 yr old girl, but the same lad who was legally deemed mature enough for sex could not consent to sex with another boy. how weird is that. see, law itself can be immoral or morally grey so it's foolish to use it as a moral guidebook or justification for one's personal choices. moral decisions depend upon one's own jiminy cricket, which is fair game to judge.*
For the 35yo virgins on Reddit, hey, at least they can finally get sex partners with 16-17yos fantasising them. I congratulate them for that. To me, 16+, no age limit, other than below 16.

If you ask me for age of consent laws, for those under 16 the sex shouldn't be criminalised if a similar enough age. For 14-15yo I'd say 4 years, 12-13 I'd say 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending