The Student Room Group

Is time an invention or discovery?

I personally believe it's neither, but what do you think??
Reply 1
I agree with you. It's not an invention because it has always existed as a natural phenomena not a 'man' made device. It's not a discovery either. Time has existed in various formats for as long as humans have been able to discern night and day, seen the moon and experienced the sun. It is only the names of the descriptives of time allowing it to be measured that have changed.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LoneWonder

Which bit of time? The idea of a period between two events, or its relationship to the physical world around us?
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
Which bit of time? The idea of a period between two events, or its relationship to the physical world around us?

Hummm I was just thinking as in time as a whole

time is an idea, it's relative to what's changing. if nothing is changing at all would time still occur? its arbitrary our year is based on when we complete a full cycle around the sun. it is both an invention and a discovery in different ways.
Reply 5
Hummm I was just thinking as in time as a whole

Well, I can give a specific answer. It was Einstein who published its relationship to mass. Time as a way of measuring the period between two events has been around for millennia. The oldest clock we have been aware of is the rising and setting of the sun. If it was invented, one day there wasn't a concept of time and the next day, after human intervention, there was. That is just ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending