The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs Durham

Got offers for both to study computer science. My MAIN priority when looking for a university to study at is if the course is taught well (I know its a lot of independent study and I'm fine with that) but I just want the course to be organised and for it to be a good level of challenging.

Another benefit would be if the city is pretty (this may sound trivial but i find that when i am surrounded by nice scenery my mood is so much better and I'll live there for 3-4 years)

Although I am leaning towards Edinburgh I don't know if 4 years for a BSc is a bit steep. Also I heard some scottish students can start university at 17 so as a 19 year old I hope I don't feel super old (I know everyone can be friends and it doesn't matter yada yada but 17-19 is quite different from 18-19)
Original post by omgwha
Got offers for both to study computer science. My MAIN priority when looking for a university to study at is if the course is taught well (I know its a lot of independent study and I'm fine with that) but I just want the course to be organised and for it to be a good level of challenging.

Another benefit would be if the city is pretty (this may sound trivial but i find that when i am surrounded by nice scenery my mood is so much better and I'll live there for 3-4 years)

Although I am leaning towards Edinburgh I don't know if 4 years for a BSc is a bit steep. Also I heard some scottish students can start university at 17 so as a 19 year old I hope I don't feel super old (I know everyone can be friends and it doesn't matter yada yada but 17-19 is quite different from 18-19)

Hi @omgwha

Two very good options there! Both cities are beautiful so I'm sure either one would be a great place to live.

Some advice to help you decide...

As well as the teaching aspect, have a look at the module content for both courses, which should be available on their websites. You could do a side by side comparison to check out their content.

The additional year at Edinburgh I don't think will make too much difference. I'm planning on completing a placement year here at BCU so my course will be 4 years when I finish, but I think the extra year for me is worth it.

And your age will not get in the way at all! There are so many different people at uni of all ages, so your age is nothing to worry about. 🙂

Best of luck making your decision! And if you get chance, try to visit either city before you decide if you haven't already to get a feel for the place.

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
i think that its increasingly rare for scottish students to start uni at 17 nowadays, especially at places like edinburgh (which are only like 30% scottish students anyway) so dont worry about that

in terms of the 4 year course it depends whether you value the flexibility or not, entirely personal decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending